mgs83 is offline Associate Member

meal replacement bars for a actaul meal

Hey guys, listen i was curious, i have got mixed opinions on this, but in reality, i dont see why its a huge issue. I like protein bars, specifically Pure Protein bars, they got 31g protein, 4g sugar, 25 carbs and 300cals and 10g fat. They are a good snack to have say meal 2 in the morning. What do you guys think? i mean usually i would eat 8 oz grilled chicken and 1/2 cup brown rice, but i get the same macro nutrients from this bar. So, i guess what i am saying is are protein bars a suitable replacement for a meal?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by mgs83 View Post
    Hey guys, listen i was curious, i have got mixed opinions on this, but in reality, i dont see why its a huge issue. I like protein bars, specifically Pure Protein bars, they got 31g protein, 4g sugar, 25 carbs and 300cals and 10g fat. They are a good snack to have say meal 2 in the morning. What do you guys think? i mean usually i would eat 8 oz grilled chicken and 1/2 cup brown rice, but i get the same macro nutrients from this bar.

Not really

So, i guess what i am saying is are protein bars a suitable replacement for a meal?

No. I think it was Fireguy who said it best in a recent (almost identical) thread - if the choice is a protein bar vs. no food at all, eat the protein bar. But it is not a meal replacement.
    Comments above in bold

mgs83 is offline Associate Member
    well gbrice, the reason why i am eating them this week is because at my work i switch betweem building ,and there is no microwave or oven here, so i cant heat or cook food. So i replace my morning meal with a protein bar. I figured its either no food, or get the macros from the bar. Out of curiosity, why arent they a good source instead of a meal, same macros? just trying to educate myself a little more

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by mgs83 View Post
    well gbrice, the reason why i am eating them this week is because at my work i switch betweem building ,and there is no microwave or oven here, so i cant heat or cook food. So i replace my morning meal with a protein bar. I figured its either no food, or get the macros from the bar. Out of curiosity, why arent they a good source instead of a meal, same macros? just trying to educate myself a little more
    While they might have similar macros, they are generally frowned upon in the bodybuilding world as a meal replacement. Basically they are just a bunch of processed ingredients, and we want to try and stay as clean and natural as possible. With real food, you get the effect of thermogenics. This really isn't present in bars, shakes, etc - or I should say very minimally present.

Just like a shake, they are meant to be supplements but not replacements for meals. IMO, if you need a quick snack and don't have the time/means to cook, get some low sodium beef jerkey. It tastes great, it's minimally processed and at least it's real beef. That'll take care of your protein. Then, depending on the time of day you can add a carb or fat - fat would be easy, just grab a serving of almonds. Carbs might be tougher as you'll probably need to heat up anything you choose.

Thread Information