ironbas is offline New Member

Cutting diet critique

Hey guys, I am new to the site. Trying to get back on my diet after a few wks of cheating. Ive been trying to read and gain as much info as i can on diets from here and friends. Let me know if im on the right track and if the info i provided is sufficient. I am a ironworker and my job is pretty physical so im trying to do the best i can with the meals throughout the day but sometimes it tough. Thanks

25 yrs old
    5'9"
    180 lbs
    not sure of BF as of now. Mainly around waist and back.

Wakeup 5:30 am
    10mg of BCAA's with water

Meal 1 6:30am
    1 scoop Nitro Tech
    1 scoop Whey 49/6/2.5
    Instant Oatmeal( low suger) 8/36/4
    Total-57/42/6.5 = 454.5 cal

Meal 2 9:30am
    5-6 Egg white+ 1 whole egg(all hard boiled) 19/1/.5
    Banana 1.4/31/.5 OR a few slices of swiss cheese.
    Total- 19.4/32/1= 214 cal

Meal 3 12:00 pm
    8oz grilled chicken 48/0/3
    1 sweet potato 4/41/0
    Total- 56/41/3= 415 cal

Meal 4 3:330 or about an hour Pre workout
    4oz Grilled Chicken 24/0/1.5
    1 sweet potato 4/41/0
    Total- 28/41/1.5 =289.5 cal

PWO 5:30-6:30
    1 sc Nitro Tech
    1 sc Whey 49/6.2.5
    2 sc Carbo up(Maltodextrin) 0/34/0
    Total- 49/40/2.5 = 378.5 cal

Meal 5 7:30-8:30
    8 oz Chicken 48/0/3
    1 Cup steamed veggies( the bagged ones) or sweet potato
    Total(minus veggies or potato) 48/0/3 = 219 cal

Meal 6 Bedtime
    1 scoop Caesin 26/4/1.5
    Total= 232.5 cal

Total for the Day( varies slightly)
    283/236/19
    2200 Cal( give or take)

I think that i could use more fat and less carbs but this is what i have so far. Will adjust soon accordingly. I am also doing about 20-30 min of cardio 3x a wk and abs everyday. Im looking to get down to about 175 -170. The come back up to 185 solid. I hope i gave enough info but if more is needed i will get it. Thanks alot

Nothing??

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbas View Post
    Hey guys, I am new to the site. Trying to get back on my diet after a few wks of cheating. Ive been trying to read and gain as much info as i can on diets from here and friends. Let me know if im on the right track and if the info i provided is sufficient. I am a ironworker and my job is pretty physical so im trying to do the best i can with the meals throughout the day but sometimes it tough. Thanks

25 yrs old
    5'9"
    180 lbs
    not sure of BF as of now. Mainly around waist and back.

Wakeup 5:30 am
    10mg of BCAA's with water

Meal 1 6:30am
    1 scoop Nitro Tech
    1 scoop Whey 49/6/2.5
    Instant Oatmeal( low suger) 8/36/4
    Total-57/42/6.5 = 454.5 cal

I'd eat this meal closer to when you wake up. Otherwise, drop it and go straight to meal 2 as your 1st meal. Also, swap the instant oatmeal for plain whole oats. You can spice it up with some splenda and cinnamon

Meal 2 9:30am
    5-6 Egg white+ 1 whole egg(all hard boiled) 19/1/.5
    Banana 1.4/31/.5 OR a few slices of swiss cheese.
    Total- 19.4/32/1= 214 cal

Drop the swiss cheese. Add 1/2 cup of oats

Meal 3 12:00 pm
    8oz grilled chicken 48/0/3
    1 sweet potato 4/41/0
    Total- 56/41/3= 415 cal

Good meal!

Meal 4 3:330 or about an hour Pre workout
    4oz Grilled Chicken 24/0/1.5
    1 sweet potato 4/41/0
    Total- 28/41/1.5 =289.5 cal

PWO 5:30-6:30
    1 sc Nitro Tech
    1 sc Whey 49/6.2.5
    2 sc Carbo up(Maltodextrin) 0/34/0
    Total- 49/40/2.5 = 378.5 cal

I'm not into the maltodextrin thing PWO, but if it works for you keep it.

8 oz Chicken 48/0/3

AND sweet potato, not or. OR - drop the carb late in the day and do some fats here - olive oil, nuts, etc

Meal 6 Bedtime
    1 scoop Caesin 26/4/1.5
    Total= 232.5 cal

Add 2tbsp natty PB

Total for the Day( varies slightly)
    283/236/19
    2200 Cal( give or take)

I think that i could use more fat and less carbs but this is what i have so far. Will adjust soon accordingly. I am also doing about 20-30 min of cardio 3x a wk and abs everyday. Im looking to get down to about 175 -170. The come back up to 185 solid. I hope i gave enough info but if more is needed i will get it. Thanks alot

Not too bad, definitely can use some more fats. Some suggestions above in bold

jester4710 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    8 oz Chicken 48/0/3

AND sweet potato, not or. OR - drop the carb late in the day and do some fats here - olive oil, nuts, etc
    If he is gonna drop the sweet potato shouldn't he drop the steamed veggies too? Aren't the steamed veggies and sweet potato both complex carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by jester4710 View Post
    If he is gonna drop the sweet potato shouldn't he drop the steamed veggies too? Aren't the steamed veggies and sweet potato both complex carbs?
    There are basically 2 types of complex carbs - fiberous complex and starchy complex. The latter would be potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. Fiberous veggies such as broccoli, spinach, asparagus, sprouts... green veggies basically... are a complex carb but alot of it is insoluble fiber. They are also relatively low calorie especially when compared to a potato or pasta for instance. In fact, because of the fiber content, some are so much work for your body to try and break down, you actually use more calories than the veggie provided... literally negative calorie food. This will never be the case with any starchy carb...

That said, fiberous veggies are good all throughout the day, any time, as much as you can - so long as they're accounted for and fit in your daily calorie/carb allotment.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 07-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.

jester4710 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    There are basically 2 types of complex carbs - fiberous complex and starchy complex. The latter would be potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. Fiberous veggies such as broccoli, spinach, asparagus, sprouts... green veggies basically... are a complex carb but alot of it is insoluble fiber. They are also relatively low calorie especially when compared to a potato or pasta for instance. In fact, because of the fiber content, some are so much work for your body to try and break down, you actually use more calories than the veggie provided... literally negative calorie food. This will never be the case with any starchy carb...

That said, fiberous veggies are good all throughout the day, any time, as much as you can - so long as they're accounted for and fit in your daily calorie/carb allotment.
    That's AWESOME news to me!!! I had actually started to reduce the amount of salad i have a night time. I guess I can afford to boost that # back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by jester4710 View Post
    That's AWESOME news to me!!! I had actually started to reduce the amount of salad i have a night time. I guess I can afford to boost that # back up again.
    Eat those veggies up my dude! Careful with salads though; it should be good leafy greens, not like iceburg lettuce. Also watch what dressing you use, if any. I like EVOO and fresh lemon juice.

Thanks for the info guys, Ive since started cooking my afternoon veggies in EVOO, and switched to the Quaker whole rolled oats rather than the Instan stuff. Also started with the natty pb before bed. Still gonna tweak it here and there to fit my day better.

Np. If possible, try not to cook the veggies in EVOO ( I know it's tough) but rather keep it room temperature and then drizzle it right over the cooked veggies. I understand that cooking it can 'kill' the beneficial properties of it.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    EVOO has the lowest smoke-point of any oil. Meaning that at only 360 degrees (less than the standard deep-fryer temp in most commercial kitchens) - it will go up in smoke, break down and lose all beneficial properties. If you're slow roasting your veggies in a light toss of EVOO, it shouldn't be a problem but to pan fry/saute certainly is. The oil cannot be directly heated beyond 360 degrees. Plus, it's easier to track your intake of fat if it's simply drizzled over at room temp as suggested. Just use no-cal cooking spray for heating applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    EVOO has the lowest smoke-point of any oil. Meaning that at only 360 degrees (less than the standard deep-fryer temp in most commercial kitchens)
    LoL, we learned this back in culinary school! Too bad at the time I had no idea about the benefits of 'good' fats.

Wow, thats good to know. Here i am cooking away the benefits!! In meal 2, should i drop the banana and just do the oats? I am eating minimal to no fruit at all. Also thinking of dropping the Maltodextrin PWO, but im not sure b/c ive only been on it for 2 wks so i havent seen a benfit just yet. Anything i should be looking for? Weight is about 178-76 everymorning and about a lb or 2 less after work. Still waiting to get a BF% test. Thanks again.

Thread Information