Dan111 is offline Associate Member

Can too much sleep affect diet?

I typically get around 8 hours of sleep every night. I was wondering if it's bad to get 10 hours of sleep?

Reason I ask is that I've read on here how the body needs to consume food every 2.5 to 3 hours or else it starts breaking down muscle. I've also read that the exception to this is while you are sleeping, that does not occur.

So when I have no need to get up early or anything I will sometimes just pass out until I feel like waking up. I was so exhausted last night that I slept for about 10 hours. At one point in the middle of the night I woke up to take a piss and had a casein shake just to have something. But I still woke up absolutely ravenous with my stomach feeling like it was caving in on itself.

So I guess what I'm trying to get at, is if sleep should be limited? So instead of my body fasting for 10 hours, would it be better to force myself to wake up around 7-8 hours and start my daily eating schedule? Or is it better to just sleep all the way through until I naturally wake up?

tboney is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan111 View Post
    I typically get around 8 hours of sleep every night. I was wondering if it's bad to get 10 hours of sleep?

Reason I ask is that I've read on here how the body needs to consume food every 2.5 to 3 hours or else it starts breaking down muscle. I've also read that the exception to this is while you are sleeping, that does not occur.

So when I have no need to get up early or anything I will sometimes just pass out until I feel like waking up. I was so exhausted last night that I slept for about 10 hours. At one point in the middle of the night I woke up to take a piss and had a casein shake just to have something. But I still woke up absolutely ravenous with my stomach feeling like it was caving in on itself.

So I guess what I'm trying to get at, is if sleep should be limited? So instead of my body fasting for 10 hours, would it be better to force myself to wake up around 7-8 hours and start my daily eating schedule? Or is it better to just sleep all the way through until I naturally wake up?

Getting 8 to 10 hrs a night is fine in my opinion. It is a good idea to take in the slow releasing protein like casein.

Are you competing?

the big 1 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

sleep is such an impotant part of the growth process from training that you should never interupt it for anything unless you absolutely have to...

i would just sleep till you naturally wake up and then eat...

Quote Originally Posted by tboney View Post
    Getting 8 to 10 hrs a night is fine in my opinion. It is a good idea to take in the slow releasing protein like casein.

Are you competing?
    nope, not competing, just looking to put on size

Quote Originally Posted by the big 1 View Post
    sleep is such an impotant part of the growth process from training that you should never interupt it for anything unless you absolutely have to...

was kind of thinking this was the answer, but wanted to post my concern anyway, thanks for the reply!

tboney is offline Anabolic Member

I agree. Sleep is critical!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Agreed 100%. If you don't HAVE to wake up for any reason, get up when your body says it's time. Slamming the casein shake in the middle of the night was the right thing to do. Of course you felt hungry, a casein shake won't do much to curb appetite but it will help hold off catabolism.

BTW - breaking down of muscle if nutrients aren't present definitely DOES happen while you sleep, albeit slower for obvious reasons. Not sure where you read the opposite, but that's pretty irresponsible information IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    BTW - breaking down of muscle if nutrients aren't present definitely DOES happen while you sleep, albeit slower for obvious reasons. Not sure where you read the opposite, but that's pretty irresponsible information IMO.
    hmmmm, it was actually a fairly recent post in the Diet section here, I'll see if I can find it...

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    hmmmm, it was actually a fairly recent post in the Diet section here, I'll see if I can find it...
    Cool, I'd like to see it. Think about it, what would be the point in taking a casein shake before bed (or when you wake up in the middle of the night) if this isn't an issue?

Thread Information