Ajaxx is offline New Member

Talking Critique of Cutting Diet Please?

First off I keep to this pretty strictly except on Sunday when I allow myself to cheat to keep from going crazy. Stats: 6'1", 233 ~13% BF, 22 years old.

Morning 7AM (After HIIT Cardio): 2 cups of oatmeal w/ honey and skim milk, protein shake

10AM: Tuna (whole can) on whole wheat bread w/ shake

1PM: Same w/o shake

4PM: Same again w/ shake, then my workout

7PM: Same sandwich, shake w/ can of greens (usually peas), also some days w/ pork and beans. MMMMMMM

10PM: 1/4 container of fat free, cottage cheese.

I also usually drink over a gallon of water a day or close to it by refilling my powerade bottle which is a quart a time. I would like to cut down to around 215 or so and get my BF% down to about 6 or 7. Also going to supplement with Clen ( if sides arent too bad ). Thanks in advance!

Also for regular supps I will be taking my ON Opti-Men multivitamin, taurine, potassium (the latter two are for supplementing with the Clen ). NSI protein and also some L-Arginine ( if i take a pre workout drink while on Clen I'll prolly have a heart attack...)

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajaxx View Post
    First off I keep to this pretty strictly except on Sunday when I allow myself to cheat to keep from going crazy. Stats: 6'1", 233 ~13% BF, 22 years old.

Morning 7AM (After HIIT Cardio): 2 cups of oatmeal w/ honey and skim milk, protein shakeI wouldn't do high intensity cardio fasted; you'll surely burn muscle. Do a 45 minutes LIT session and then have this meal. You're cutting so the best tactic for attacking body fat at first is gonna be removing all sugar from your diet. No honey or milk, use splenda or stevia to sweeten. Also, 2 cups of oatmeal is over 100g carbs. Too much; let's even out consumption of carbs leading up to your workout. 3/4 cup dry is a good measure for breakfast when cutting and yields about 40g of complex carbs. As for the protein shake, your whole diet is shakes, WTF? You need real food that breaks down over a longer period of time. Replace, ideally, with 1 whole egg and 8-10 whites for 40g protein.

10AM: Tuna (whole can) on whole wheat bread w/ shake No shake, more tuna if needed. 2 stained cans of chunk light is a good portion. Whole wheat bread is a heavily processed carb and usually enriched. Get ezekiel bread or another sprouted grain, flourless bread or eat oats, sweet potato, brown rice, lentils, etc. Carbs that can be grown and picked; not baked! Shoot for 40g.

1PM: Same w/o shake Same changes then.

4PM: Same again w/ shake, then my workout That's a lot of tuna. Regardless, 40g lean protein, 40g complex carbs via a good source. Try chicken, lean steak, white fish, salmon, whatever. Add 1-2 cup green veggies.

7PM: Same sandwich, shake w/ can of greens (usually peas), also some days w/ pork and beans. MMMMMMM Awful meal, awful diet. Have a whey shake as soon as you finish lifting. 30-45 minutes later, have a lean protein/complex carb/veggie meal. Not canned peas, something with no sugar like broccoli, asparagus, etc.

10PM: 1/4 container of fat free, cottage cheese. use 1 cup, add 20g of healthy fat.

I also usually drink over a gallon of water a day or close to it by refilling my powerade bottle which is a quart a time. I would like to cut down to around 215 or so and get my BF% down to about 6 or 7. Also going to supplement with Clen ( if sides arent too bad ). Thanks in advance!
    Dietary fat seems low. Bad carb sources. Not enough veggies. Too many shakes. Bad carb timing/portions.

Drink 1.5 gallons of water and supplement with 10g of fish oil daily.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Morning 7AM (After HIIT Cardio): 2 cups of oatmeal w/ honey and skim milk, protein shake

I wouldn't eat carbs right after cardio - it kind of defeats the purpose IMO, wait an hour or so. No matter what i'd drop the honey and use splenda or stevia, drop the milk and use water. All sugar, not going to help you on a cutting diet. 2 cups is ALOT of oatmeal - post up your macros so we can see if you're eating what you think you are. I'd go with a few eggs and whites after cardio + oats about an hour after cardio, and I would do the shake BEFORE cardio

10AM: Tuna (whole can) on whole wheat bread w/ shake

Tuna is fine, the whole wheat bread is not the greatest carb choice. Also, why another shake here? Drop it, not necessary

1PM: Same w/o shake

Same critique as above.

4PM: Same again w/ shake, then my workout

Tuna all day? You should be getting your protein from multiple sources throughout the day for a wide array of aminos. Also, drop the shake here too. Definitely keep carbs in this meal to fuel your workout

7PM: Same sandwich, shake w/ can of greens (usually peas), also some days w/ pork and beans. MMMMMMM

Hmm... tuna - again? If this is your PWO meal, I would just do a whey shake and some healthy fat. It's kind of late in the day for carbs IMO, especially when cutting. Also, canned veggies are a poor quality choice, and peas are a poor choice no matter what - too much sugar. You need fresh veggies in this meal (and others) - asparagus, broccoli, kale, brussell sprouts, green beans, spinach - those kinds of greens

10PM: 1/4 container of fat free, cottage cheese.

Use whole milk cottage cheese - the fat will slow the protein absorption while you sleep. You can also substitute a casein shake here with a tbsp of natural PB, or you can do a lean steak (best choice)

Honestly bro, your diet is pretty awful. Suggestions above in bold. Implementing them will make your diet MUCH better IMO.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 08-27-2010 at 07:19 AM.

LoL I guess Damien beat me to the punch! Similar critique though, always a good sign!

csavage0 is offline Member
    I would for sure cut the honey out. That insulin spike is not good while cutting fat. If your trying to feed your body quickly after sleeping I would do a scoop of whey upon waking. Then hour later eat a lean meal with low amounts of complex carbs. Also cut all carbs out in the afternoon. For the greens peas are full of startch. I would switch to spinache or green bell pepper. Just my thoughts and also I agree with everything mentioned by brice and D05. Listen to them they are spot on and been around here for a while and have done a lot of self educating which is the best.

Thanks all for the advice, this is my plan for when I start school next week. I will implement all of your suggestions for sure. I am new to this so all your input is much appreciated.

would fresh beans be alright instead of the peas then?? i hate spinach lol. why is whole wheat bread a bad carb choice btw?

would fresh beans be alright instead of the peas then?? i hate spinach lol. why is whole wheat bread a bad carb choice btw?
    What kind of beans? If you're talking about red/white kidney/navy/black etc. - they're all fine choices as a CARB source, not a veggie replacement.

The veggies I listed are your best options. If you hate spinach, you still have plenty of others to choose from.

Thread Information