Anubi555 is offline Junior Member

New member, Another Diet check"Progress update"

Recent progress pics has been added at the end of the page

Hi every one,
    After being around for a while, thought I studied enough, absorbed nuff info "IMO" from such a great forum, I did put together my 1st serious diet, I'm planning to stick to for a while till I achieve or get close to my goal.

Here is how it goes:

stats:
    H: 170cm
    W: 72KG
    BF%: : into that in a bit
    Goal: getting as close as possible to a single digit BF%, to be able to start my clean bulk, and hopefully my second cycle in a year

Ok, here is the homework I did:
    According to an online calculator "doesn't use BF%" my BMR should be around 1700
    I assumed I am very active as i am training around 8 times a week "including cardio", multiplying that times 1.725 according to Harris Benedict Formula, my daily calories should be around 2900.
    I used TDEE formula for accuracy, using"my estimate" BF%, and some crapy E scales values, and the diff. was within 100cal, so i thought to go with it.

Ok, besides the obvious reason from this post which is getting your experienced opinion about the diet I have some other questions:

1- attached are pics of me when i first got back to working out around 12 weeks ago, after like 5 years being off, and then pics from today, I dropped 10kg"22lb", I know it can not be just BF, but I'm sure I've improved my BF%, so can I please get an estimate of those %'s, like b4 and after, according to some scales, and some online formula's, I was around 33%, and now is around early 20's, In your opinion how close to be correct those numbers are? unfortunately where I live its kinda expensive to get a decent BF test.

2- In a fear that my math or estimates are not that right, I was planning to test my diet and workout progress in 14 days span, to see if my BF has improved,or if I need to lower my cal/day, but cuz i've been working out mostly my entire life on and off "off's more obviously :-/ ", I know i am gonna gain some muscle mass pretty quickly with a solid lifting program, so, is it possible that my weight on the scale stays the same but my actual BF is lowering, or do I have to see diff. in the total weight to actual call my plan a success? I'm asking this cuz i didn't see huge drop on the scale but when I stopped lifting like 2-3 weeks ago due to a rotator cuff, and was doing only cardio, so obviously, a huge amount of my loss was BM.before that I could SEE a huge improvement of my body transformation with so lil or none at all change on the scale.

thank you very much in advance. and sorry if its a long read

here are the pics

before:

~~~~~~~~~

12 weeks after:

Last edited by Anubi555; 11-08-2010 at 02:56 AM. Reason: updating

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Hey bro, GREAT improvement in 12 weeks! Whatever you're doing has been working. I'd definitely estimate your BF in the 30's in the first pic. In the others, I wouldn't even put you in the 20's honestly, i'd say 18-19%.

Your diet isn't that bad but I do believe it can be improved. i.e. dropping carbs later in the day when there's little energy requirement, separating carb and fat meals, etc. I can't critique it because I can't quote it and too lazy to type it all out!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Hey bro, GREAT improvement in 12 weeks! Whatever you're doing has been working. I'd definitely estimate your BF in the 30's in the first pic. In the others, I wouldn't even put you in the 20's honestly, i'd say 18-19%.

Your diet isn't that bad but I do believe it can be improved. i.e. dropping carbs later in the day when there's little energy requirement, separating carb and fat meals, etc. I can't critique it because I can't quote it and too lazy to type it all out!
    i am sorry, this is kinda stupid from my side to just put it as a pic, just want it to be as organized as possible, make it easier for you guys to check it,.
    anyway,. here it is in txt format

Meal Time Meal
    1 6:30 4 egg whites+ 2 whole+2 slice multi grained bread+an apple
    g Protein g Carb g Fat K Cal
    38 48 15 479

8:00 "Workout 5-6x a week ""3days on-one off"""

2 9:30 "post workout whey shake + 200
    ml skimmed milk + a abanana"
    35 45 3 347

3 12:00 1 cup Tuna + a banana
    40 30 1 289

4 15:00 1 scoop whey in water
    24 4 1.5 125.5

5 18:00 "150g (chicken breast/grilled Tilapia/lean steak)+0.5 cup
    brown rice + viggies"
    55 80 7 603

20:00 45m cardio+ abs EOD

6 21:00 "200g cottage cheese + 1spoon
    olive oil + cucumber ot lettuce"
    30 20 20 380

Total 222 227 47.5 2223.5

--and complement is very appreciated, what i was doing i don't like so much to continue it now, cuz yes,. i lose very fast, but can not actually build up some good mass, i lowered my cal intake to around 1500, minimal carb.,.i just hated being "fat",.and now,. i don't wanna be just skinny, i wish to build up some muscle while paying attention to my my BF%,. i am relying basically on the muscle memory, and noobs gains,. to continue losing fat, while actually building some muscle,. "please tell me its possible"
    what i am doing now "or with ur help trying to",. is basically doubling my prev. protein intake, as long as paying more attention to resistant training to accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubi555 View Post
    i am sorry, this is kinda stupid from my side to just put it as a pic, just want it to be as organized as possible, make it easier for you guys to check it,.
    anyway,. here it is in txt format

Meal Time Meal
    1 6:30 4 egg whites+ 2 whole+2 slice multi grained bread+an apple
    38 48 15 479

I would rather see 1/2 cup oats in this meal instead of the bread. Bread isn't the cleanest carb choice, oats are much better. Use splenda and cinnamon to sweeten them instead of sugar. Consider dropping the apple due to sugar content, although if you must have the fruit, am or PWO is the best time. Consider replacing the apple with some berries in your oats

8:00 "Workout 5-6x a week ""3days on-one off"""

2 9:30 "post workout whey shake + 200
    ml skimmed milk + a abanana"
    35 45 3 347

Drop the milk and add 1/2 cup oats

3 12:00 1 cup Tuna + a banana
    40 30 1 289

Drop the banana here and go with a complex carb instead. Brown rice, sweet potato, yam, lentils, beans, quinoa, ezekeil bread, etc

4 15:00 1 scoop whey in water
    24 4 1.5 125.5

No, drop this and eat real food here. 4-6oz of a lean protein, possibly another complex carb or no carb but add a healthy fat - nuts, olive oil, fish oils, etc

5 18:00 "150g (chicken breast/grilled Tilapia/lean steak)+0.5 cup
    brown rice + viggies"
    55 80 7 603

I personally would not do any more carbs from here on out, ESPECIALLY before cardio. Make this a lean protein/fat meal. glad to see the veggies. Easy addition of fat to drizzle a tbsp of olive oil over your veggies

20:00 45m cardio+ abs EOD

6 21:00 "200g cottage cheese + 1spoon
    olive oil + cucumber ot lettuce"
    30 20 20 380

ok, good bedtime meal

Total 222 227 47.5 2223.5

--and complement is very appreciated, what i was doing i don't like so much to continue it now, cuz yes,. i lose very fast, but can not actually build up some good mass, i lowered my cal intake to around 1500, minimal carb.,.i just hated being "fat",.and now,. i don't wanna be just skinny, i wish to build up some muscle while paying attention to my my BF%,. i am relying basically on the muscle memory, and noobs gains,. to continue losing fat, while actually building some muscle,. "please tell me its possible"
    what i am doing now "or with ur help trying to",. is basically doubling my prev. protein intake, as long as paying more attention to resistant training to accomplish that.
    Bro, I was/am in the EXACT same boat as you, so I feel your pain. I was grossly overweight at 255lbs, 5'11. I started dieting and basically starved myself - calories were around 1300/day. I got skinny - but realized that most definitely wasn't the look I wanted. I am still playing catch up now, trying to build a decent physique. It's a very tough balancing act that I haven't perfected yet, but I believe it's possible and once you get it right, you'll know it. It's the slow and steady road, vs. bulking and cutting - basically you're doing a body recomp where you'll slowly add lean mass while maintaining or reducing bodyfat. It's not a fast process.

Anyway, diet critique above in bold.

Thank you very much gbrice
    all your "bold" made huge since to me, already changed in my plan,.and changed minor things around to maintain the exact same protein:carb:fat ratio and totals above, they were ok, right?
    about the shake meal, i know how much u r against it, well, me as well against all sups, cept the post Workout whey, but this particular time,. i am at work, can not even steal a time for a snak or a sandwich, hope to get away with this shake,lol
    well, if its Ok, i'd print out my new diet which i am fairly satisfied with now "thx to u", probably would post result in this thread 12 weeks from now, and let u know how it went if interested.
    best of luck to u achieving ur goals, as for me, i don't personally like these bulking, cutting cycles all years round, i just wanna eat healthy, stay healthy, i wouldn't mind if above diet "or simialr depending on short time goals" is adapted all year, as long as i am keeping my BF% checked, it doesn't matter to me how fast i am adding muscle mass

Thank you very much gbrice
    all your "bold" made huge since to me, already changed in my plan,.and changed minor things around to maintain the exact same protein:carb:fat ratio and totals above, they were ok, right?
    about the shake meal, i know how much u r against it, well, me as well against all sups, cept the post Workout whey, but this particular time,. i am at work, can not even steal a time for a snak or a sandwich, hope to get away with this shake,lol
    well, if its Ok, i'd print out my new diet which i am fairly satisfied with now "thx to u", probably would post result in this thread 12 weeks from now, and let u know how it went if interested.
    best of luck to u achieving ur goals, as for me, i don't personally like these bulking, cutting cycles all years round, i just wanna eat healthy, stay healthy, i wouldn't mind if above diet "or simialr depending on short time goals" is adapted all year, as long as i am keeping my BF% checked, it doesn't matter to me how fast i am adding muscle mass
    You're welcome bro, and yes, your total daily macros look good to me.

As for the shake, hey, it's better then not eating at all. If it's your only option, go for it. I would add 1/2 cup oats to it though. Just dump them in there with the powder, then add the water, shake and chew em up.

Definitely interested to watch your progress, so please do keep us posted! GL with reaching your goals!

Definitely interested to watch your progress, so please do keep us posted! GL with reaching your goals!
    hey Bro,. I've planned to post update pics in 12 weeks,. but, i am having some Questions, and reconsiderations after less than 8 weeks,. will start a thread about it in a bit, but as promised 2 months ago to post progress here,. here I am, thx again, i know its hard from those 2 pics, but can u estimate the BF% as for now?

~~~~~~~~

Very lean bro, i'd say right around 10%. It's weird because in the unflexed pic you look to be around 12%, in the flexed one you look sub 10%. So i'm averaging lol!

Good job, well done.

10%,.. humm?!!!
    i personally thought i am arround 13, 12 at best, well,. i am no expert,. i've never been lower than may be 20, ever in my life, so i dunno how such a percentage would look on me!, i can upload some back and quad pics to confirm this percentage, cuz if ur right,.. yaaay, iam done cutting,. no more 4 weeks of this!

ok, about my questions,.i dunno if here is the right place for them,. or should I start a new thread,here they are anyway:

1- kills me the most, that loose skin, specially lower abs, love handles,. its not like flabs of skin, but the skin could be MUCH tighter, i don't have that much fats under there at all,. but yet, no lower abs showing, and love handles just doesn't look right, so,. is there a way to improve this, and get the skin to tighten up a bit beside just, waiting and hoping?

2- Regardless of the accurate BF%, should i just stop the cut right there, i just feel i am getting kinda too skinny,. its kinda frustrating, working out that hard, and not putting a fraction of an inch into my arms or anything!!, right now,. i am just concerned about the very stubborn lower abs, no sign of them at all,. the question is, if i started the clean bulk, focusing on them,. would they eventually improve, as they should get bigger in size,. and hopefully the skin tighten up a bit, or do i have to continue cutting to achieve that?, "hope i am not confusing"

3- monthes ago, i planned once i acheive around 10% BF, to start my 1st cycle of just Test. en for 12 weeks, to put some quality mass while maintaining the BF% by doing almost the exact same cardio, and go slightly over my TDEE, right now i am reconsidering it, i feel just upping the carbs would "balloon" me up, so i am confused, afraid to up the carbs naturally "which used to be around 30% or less" and start gaining BF again, while i believe a cycle of that clean bulk would assist on losing 1-2% BF further!, so, what do you think?, to cycle now, or not?, the main goal here, is to not add any BF while clean bulking!

ok,. i have some more detailed questions, about the bulking deit, but i guess in a coming post, i think this one just too long now"sorry",. and its kinda depend as well on the whether to cycle now or not.
    thank you very much in advance, i hope others would chime in as well,. all opinions are greatly appreciated!

Oh,. one important thing i forgot
    the stats
    hight: 170 cm
    weight: 69 kg
    BF%: you guys tell me,.lol,. "attached some more pics to get as much accurate estimation", will try to get a caliper soon,. its just crazy expensive where i live ATM!
    training exp.: been working out on and off, for more than 10 years, took care of diet, and cardio just a lil over 6 monthes, "shameful i know"
    previous cycles: None

Here are some pics to better estimate the BF%, feed back, and better judgment so you guys can help me answering those Q's

~~~~

~~~~

~~~~

~~~~

10%,.. humm?!!!
    i personally thought i am arround 13, 12 at best, well,. i am no expert,. i've never been lower than may be 20, ever in my life, so i dunno how such a percentage would look on me!, i can upload some back and quad pics to confirm this percentage, cuz if ur right,.. yaaay, iam done cutting,. no more 4 weeks of this!

Based on the new pics, you are definitely at 10% IMO. Cut further if you want to, but I don't think you need it. You're very well defined and vascular. AMAZING transformation from your fat pic - how long did the whole thing take? I'm currently in my 'metamorphasis' from 255lbs at 5'11 - just about 2 years in and i'm nowhere near as lean as you =(

ok, about my questions,.i dunno if here is the right place for them,. or should I start a new thread,here they are anyway:

1- kills me the most, that loose skin, specially lower abs, love handles,. its not like flabs of skin, but the skin could be MUCH tighter, i don't have that much fats under there at all,. but yet, no lower abs showing, and love handles just doesn't look right, so,. is there a way to improve this, and get the skin to tighten up a bit beside just, waiting and hoping?

Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do, other then look into surgery if it bothers you that much. I will have the same problem when I get down to 10% - it's just from having so much fat under there stretching the skin. Usually it does tighten back up, but it's not a fast process. Having said all of that - it's not noticeable based on the pics. It's probably WAY more evident to you then it ever will be to anybody else, because it's your body and you know what was there before. Nobody looking at you today would EVER think you were fat

2- Regardless of the accurate BF%, should i just stop the cut right there, i just feel i am getting kinda too skinny,. its kinda frustrating, working out that hard, and not putting a fraction of an inch into my arms or anything!!, right now,. i am just concerned about the very stubborn lower abs, no sign of them at all,. the question is, if i started the clean bulk, focusing on them,. would they eventually improve, as they should get bigger in size,. and hopefully the skin tighten up a bit, or do i have to continue cutting to achieve that?, "hope i am not confusing"

Depends. I don't think you need to continue cutting, but that's just me. Are you losing strength in the gym? Do you feel like you're losing LBM? What you should probably do is continue with a slow body recomp, but not bulk. This will almost ensure you won't put on bodyfat, but will (slowly) add lean mass. The lower ab issue is probably more to do with the loose skin and not fat, so again not much you can do there. You CAN workout your abs to develop them, and by building them they will pop more and fill out some of that loose skin, the way the fat used to

3- monthes ago, i planned once i acheive around 10% BF, to start my 1st cycle of just Test. en for 12 weeks, to put some quality mass while maintaining the BF% by doing almost the exact same cardio, and go slightly over my TDEE, right now i am reconsidering it, i feel just upping the carbs would "balloon" me up, so i am confused, afraid to up the carbs naturally "which used to be around 30% or less" and start gaining BF again, while i believe a cycle of that clean bulk would assist on losing 1-2% BF further!, so, what do you think?, to cycle now, or not?, the main goal here, is to not add any BF while clean bulking!

I think you can do more naturally, but if you wanted to cycle I wouldn't tell you no. You're a good age and the bodyfat is definitely low enough. If you bulk, even clean, you will probably add a bit of bodyfat though

ok,. i have some more detailed questions, about the bulking deit, but i guess in a coming post, i think this one just too long now"sorry",. and its kinda depend as well on the whether to cycle now or not.
    thank you very much in advance, i hope others would chime in as well,. all opinions are greatly appreciated!
    Comments above in bold

gbrice,
    i can not thank you enough,. u've been soo helpfull, not just for me, but for too many others,. thank you very much for your concern, time and effort your contributing to help the members of such a agreat forum, here are my comments on ur bold
    Based on the new pics, you are definitely at 10% IMO. Cut further if you want to, but I don't think you need it. You're very well defined and vascular. AMAZING transformation from your fat pic - how long did the whole thing take? I'm currently in my 'metamorphasis' from 255lbs at 5'11 - just about 2 years in and i'm nowhere near as lean as you =(
    the whole thing took me like 5 monthes "check the last pic, may till novmber", and it took me 8 weeks from the pics on the original post "at the top of the page", followed the diet thats originally posted in this thread, didn't work so well at first,. kept reducing the carbs n weekly basis till i reached like 200-250g carbs a day, pro, and fats remains the same the entire time, put me around 1700kcal/day, but the major change was the last 4 weeks when i was actually capable of doing an hour of running every AM for 10kilometers, never missed a day, felt amazing

Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do, other then look into surgery if it bothers you that much. I will have the same problem when I get down to 10% - it's just from having so much fat under there stretching the skin. Usually it does tighten back up, but it's not a fast process. Having said all of that - it's not noticeable based on the pics. It's probably WAY more evident to you then it ever will be to anybody else, because it's your body and you know what was there before. Nobody looking at you today would EVER think you were fat
    may be ur right, that i am being kinda too picky,. will just give it time, enjoy the 4 abs for now,.lol,.as i've never seen'em b4,. and i sooo much doubt you would face the same problem,.my guess that i am having this issue due to the fast rate of losing weight, which ur doing much better with it, not rushing things, giving ur skin time needed to tighten up as u go.

Depends. I don't think you need to continue cutting, but that's just me. Are you losing strength in the gym? Do you feel like you're losing LBM? What you should probably do is continue with a slow body recomp, but not bulk. This will almost ensure you won't put on bodyfat, but will (slowly) add lean mass. The lower ab issue is probably more to do with the loose skin and not fat, so again not much you can do there. You CAN workout your abs to develop them, and by building them they will pop more and fill out some of that loose skin, the way the fat used to
    nope,. i am not losing strength at all,. actually i am gaining tons of it, my weights almost doubled since i started,. remember, i started kinda from scratch, after being a lazy a$$ for like 5 years, so i guess muscle memory and noobs gains helped me there.
    i don't wanna bother u, by asking u what a recomp is, but i'd be so thankfull if you could point me to a good article or sticky or something to explain it to me, my initial thought was to keep my macro's as it is "protein and fats" and just up my carbs, to sum up the total kcal to exactly my TDEE or maintaining calories needed "including my usual cardio", am i far off here?

I think you can do more naturally, but if you wanted to cycle I wouldn't tell you no. You're a good age and the bodyfat is definitely low enough. If you bulk, even clean, you will probably add a bit of bodyfat though
    well, i am confused, and u just repeated whats been going on my head,.lol,.i kinda needed like a suggestion or something,. ok,. here is my goal,. may it would help, i'm now a lil over 150lb,170cm tall,. my goal is to hit like 165lb, with the exact same if not less BF%,. i know i can achieve EASILY those lb's by just upping the carbs, and clean bulking deit in a matter of 12 weeks or so,. scares me tho, that i know i will gain some GOOD BF% in the way, no matter what i would do, or am i wrong here?my 0.02 was to just keep the cardio as it is, and not go so much over my TDEE, may be like 200-300cal
    ok,. i am ready to answer any further questions, to help u "or any1 cares " to give me a better advise on this,. i thought to begin a simple cycle by xmas,. and i am not sure if i should or not.
    thank you very much again, u've been truly a great help and motivation

gbrice,
    i can not thank you enough,. u've been soo helpfull, not just for me, but for too many others,. thank you very much for your concern, time and effort your contributing to help the members of such a agreat forum, here are my comments on ur bold

NP bro, glad to help and just giving back after all the good peeps who helped me when I got here =)

the whole thing took me like 5 monthes "check the last pic, may till novmber", and it took me 8 weeks from the pics on the original post "at the top of the page", followed the diet thats originally posted in this thread, didn't work so well at first,. kept reducing the carbs n weekly basis till i reached like 200-250g carbs a day, pro, and fats remains the same the entire time, put me around 1700kcal/day, but the major change was the last 4 weeks when i was actually capable of doing an hour of running every AM for 10kilometers, never missed a day, felt amazing

5 mos? holy sh!t !! I'm jealous! I gotta be doing something wrong! Again, well done.

may be ur right, that i am being kinda too picky,. will just give it time, enjoy the 4 abs for now,.lol,.as i've never seen'em b4,. and i sooo much doubt you would face the same problem,.my guess that i am having this issue due to the fast rate of losing weight, which ur doing much better with it, not rushing things, giving ur skin time needed to tighten up as u go.

We shall see! It's very hard to tell right now if what I have is fat or loose skin. Most likely a combo of both

nope,. i am not losing strength at all,. actually i am gaining tons of it, my weights almost doubled since i started,. remember, i started kinda from scratch, after being a lazy a$$ for like 5 years, so i guess muscle memory and noobs gains helped me there.
    i don't wanna bother u, by asking u what a recomp is, but i'd be so thankfull if you could point me to a good article or sticky or something to explain it to me, my initial thought was to keep my macro's as it is "protein and fats" and just up my carbs, to sum up the total kcal to exactly my TDEE or maintaining calories needed "including my usual cardio", am i far off here?

Awesome that you're gaining strength! Body recomp is simply the 'middle ground' between cutting and bulking. It's the slow and steady... slowly adding LBM while maintaining or possibly even reducing bodyfat - exactly what you want from what I can tell. For this I usually recommend eating just above maintenance (about 200 cals or so) to ensure your providing enough fuel to at least maintain LBM, and then do alot of cardio to keep the bodyfat in check and/or burn it off. Results take longer to show vs. bulking or cutting, but with this you look good all year round rather then just in the summer

well, i am confused, and u just repeated whats been going on my head,.lol,.i kinda needed like a suggestion or something,. ok,. here is my goal,. may it would help, i'm now a lil over 150lb,170cm tall,. my goal is to hit like 165lb, with the exact same if not less BF%,. i know i can achieve EASILY those lb's by just upping the carbs, and clean bulking deit in a matter of 12 weeks or so,. scares me tho, that i know i will gain some GOOD BF% in the way, no matter what i would do, or am i wrong here?my 0.02 was to just keep the cardio as it is, and not go so much over my TDEE, may be like 200-300cal
    ok,. i am ready to answer any further questions, to help u "or any1 cares " to give me a better advise on this,. i thought to begin a simple cycle by xmas,. and i am not sure if i should or not.
    thank you very much again, u've been truly a great help and motivation
    You've already answered your own question! What you described is pretty much body recomp and I wouldn't worry much about gaining fat with 200-300 over TDEE. If fat does become an issue, up the cardio but don't drop calories.

thank you again bro for the quick reply
    i would do that,. recalculate my new TDEE, taking in account my new measurements,. and activities,. design a diet plan,.post it for you to check.
    i guess thats for option 1 "going natural, and see how it goes for 4 weeks or something.
    you didn't give me a second thought on whether to cycle or not,. but in case i did,. the whole diet would be very different, correct? or just keep the recomp concept,. and just expect more out of it,. i am still confused,. i am so sorry if i sound too hesitant, it just was too obvious that cycling b4 was a bad bad idea,. and i am no stubborn,. and listened to all great pieces of advise that has been given through the entire forum to all peeps on my same boat, but now i am thinking differently, as i feel i have the option now"or am I not? :-/", i kinda feel deep inside that natural is better,. but its still tempting, specially that where i live, its much easier and much much cheaper to get ALL your gear for a basic cycle, than even a tub of good whey!!

Like I said before, I think you can do plenty more naturally. However, if you do decide to run a cycle, you need to eat to grow. The idea of a body recomp goes out the window. On cycle i'd be eating like a bulk, and thensome. It's possible that you won't gain bodyfat, but don't be surprised if you do.

So it really comes down to what's more important to you - faster gains but possible bodyfat gains as well, or slower/natural gains with very little to no bodyfat gains.

thank you bro,. helpful as usual,. i am gonna go natural, recomp plan, for 8 weeks,. and will let u know how it went, shall decide from there,. if i am not asking for too much,. i would like to check my new recomp plan with u b4 executing it, in like couple days

Thread Information