blazerelf is offline Associate Member

should I quit playing sports while im trying to bulk up?

I'm a extremely active person, I lovep laying all sports i have the chance to skill, I dont take taxis or get ask for rides (since i have no car) unless is absolutely necesarry.
    But I want to gain weight im 145lb 5,10 (19 yeard old ); in difference to msot people here i just wnat liek 20 lbs more (lean muscle) or max 175lb.

My question based on this is if i really need to quit being so active and just get my ass from college to gym and bed or I can have my normal life? and in the case i reach my weight goal will it be difficult to mantain being so active?considering Im a ectomorph

BGC123 is offline Junior Member
    Hey hermano, you can still be just as active, you just have to eat enough food to support the activity you do. The best way for you to know is to work out your're BMR (basal metabolic rate) how many calories your body burns just by doing nothing and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) or how much energy you burn doing your acitivites. Btw your 145lbs so I'm assuming you dont have much fat, what is your bf% ?
    This is from another thread so just use to work out your indivdual needs. If you got any Q's just ask.

Use this to get you started:

BMR/TDEE formula:

Let’s start with BMR. This is your Basal Metabolic Rate. AKA – how many calories you burn each day by just sitting on your ass. In order to figure out your BMR, you need to know what your lean body mass is. In turn, you need to know what your body fat percentage is.

If you don’t know your body fat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please don’t use electronic scales to get your bf % checked, they're horrible). If you don’t have a gym that offers this service; ask me and I’ll give you a pretty good estimate.

With your bf % in hand, here’s the formula:

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Total weight x bf % in decimal form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

For example:

I am 6'1 210 lbs at 10% body fat... so I would multiply 210 by .10 (converted from percent to decimal) = 21 lbs
    210 – 21 = 189 lbs lean body weight

189 / 2.2 = 86.0 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 86) = 2227.6 BMR (this is high for the average person)

Now that we have a BMR figure, we can move on to TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is how many calories we actually use during the day via our BMR and activities such as work, exercise and various tasks. We can figure this number out with simple math but be honest because this figure is to be the cornerstone of your diet and healthy lifestyle. We need to determine your activity level. We’ll choose from a few levels:

§ If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): Calorie - Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    § If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    § If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    § If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    § If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

For example:

I train with weights 5 days for 90 minutes per week. I play hockey three times per week
    for 90 minutes. I do 60 minutes of cardio training 5 times per week as well. I also practice my sport 3 times per week for 90 minutes. Either via skating or puck/shooting drills. All are high-intensity. I am between very and extra active. Let’s say BMR x 1.8. My TDEE is 4010.

In terms of food choices, here goes:

I love analogies. Let’s use a good one. Think of your perfect body as a house that you must build. You’ve figured out your BMR and TDEE, so you know the exact specs of the property you have to work with. You know how exercise affects weight loss and how much of a caloric deficit/surplus we must create to lose/gain said weight; so you know how to build - you understand architecture. You also know the pace you intend on losing/gaining weight at based on these other factors, so you know it will be harder to get your house built in weeks as opposed to months. The only thing left is the tools/building material you must use and because you don’t know how to eat, you still can’t build anything. At least, not well. Sure, you can starve yourself for a few months but you’ll just gain all the weight back in a couple weeks of binge drinking and shitty eating on a vacation – you’re house will fall down!

So, let’s talk tools baby. Let’s talk food. First off, there are only 3 types of foods/macronutrients. Protein. Carbohydrates. Fat. That’s it.

Protein – 4 calories per gram - Building material. Bricks. You can’t gain energy from protein, you can only use it to build muscle/skin/hair/nails. It’s basically just amino acids and it’s what our bodies are made of. As such, we need lots of it. 1g of protein per body lb is a good number to shoot for . Go as high as 2g per body lb if you’re lifting weights and trying to build muscle. For example, I am 207 lbs and I eat between 300-400 grams per day. Our body can only break down so much at one time however, so we want to eat 20-40 grams of protein in every meal, several times per day. Protein, being building material only and not energy/labor – the body can rarely find a reason for it to be stored as fat. If you must over-eat – make it lean meat/fish.

Carbs – 4 calories per gram - Think of these as human labor for your house. Think of sugar as dudes you pick up out front of home depot and oatmeal as a skilled carpenter. Both are carbs, both serve very different purposes. Carbs help transport essential nutrients to the muscles, create glycogen stores, and as such, increase protein synthesis but do not build muscle; they are simply an energy source. As such, they should only be eaten/used when we need energy. Any carbs we ingest before bed or before watching a movie, or something sedentary are not used as energy, and as such, are more likely to be stored in the body as glycogen (glucose/water in our muscles that we will use when doing high-intensity exercise). Once our glycogen reserves are full, they will spill over and be stored as fat. Yes, they will make you fat. Carbs can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

Fats – 9 calories per gram - Like carbs, fats are an energy source, not a building material like protein. They provide nowhere near as much energy as carbs however. Ask anyone who's on a ketogenic diet. With regard to our house, think of fats as the glue/cement. They provide much needed essential fatty acids, which are great for joint/organ health and increase our protein synthesis. Going back to our analogy, cement/glue increases the effectiveness of bricks! If we give our bodies the right fats, it will be able to burn stored body fat quickly as it won’t see any use in keeping it. Remember, like carbs – not all fat is good and ALL fat is high in calories so watch out. A tablespoon of peanut butter can be a good addition to a meal. Snacking on 5-6 tablespoons, however, means you’ve just eaten over your TDEE for the day.

Acceptable proteins for your healthy lifestyle diet:

The goal is to eat lean protein. Meats/other sources low in fat/carbs.

§ Ground beef (93% lean or better)
    § Lean steak (Flank, flat iron, or top sirloin)
    § Bison sirloin (the highest quality red meat)
    § Chicken breast
    § Turkey breast
    § Tuna (canned or sushi grade)
    § Salmon
    § Tilapia (mostly all white fish)
    § All shellfish
    § Venison
    § Whey protein (post-workout recovery purposes only)
    § Casein/Cottage cheese (before bed only)

Black-List Protein sources. Do not eat these because they are high in fat. And not the
    good kind we find in nuts and olive oil – I’m talking about cholesterol raising saturated
    fat!

§ Bacon
    § Sausage
    § Expensive fat-marbled Steaks (Ribeye, Strip, Filet)
    § Pork and beef ribs
    § Pork/Lamb chops
    § Restaurant ground beef (80/20 fat – most burgers)
    § Duck
    § Chicken legs/thighs
    § Chicken skin
    § Cheese

Acceptable Carbs for your healthy lifestlyle:

Complex carbs are now your creed. These are slower-digesting, natural, low on the glycemic index carbohydrates that digest slowly and provide us with sustained energy. They do not drastically affect our blood sugar and do not cause insulin spikes. Thus our body sees no reason to store them as fat, it would rather burn them for energy. Simple carbs such as enriched white breads/pastas/rice/potatoes/sugars (including most fruit) cause insulin spikes and are high GI foods. They should not be eaten when on a strict diet. Fruit can be consumed early in the day or pre/post-workout because of it’s high nutritional value but should usually be avoided due to being a form of simple sugar. Remember, healthy, low-calorie foods aren’t always the correct foods and such is the case with fruit.

§ Oats/Oatmeal
    § Grits/Cornmeal
    § Unsalted/non-buttered popcorn (great, low-cal snack)
    § Sweet potato (the best choice)
    § Butternut squash
    § Whole wheat pasta (not enriched)
    § Organic whole wheat bread (not enriched wonder bread crap)
    § Brown rice
    § Ezekiel bread
    § Swedish grain bread
    § Gluten free bread
    § Wheat couscous
    § Corn
    § Quinoa
    § Lentils
    § Beans
    § Many more, look up the GI (glycemic index) for healthy choices

Black List:

§ White pasta
    § White bread
    § Baguette
    § Bagels
    § Cookies, cake, muffins, cupcakes, all sweets basically.
    § White couscous
    § White rice
    § You get the idea…

Don’t get discouraged upon reading this list. I still make desserts all the time with whole
    grain flour and splenda. I buy bagels and baguettes at the health food store that use
    complex carbs as a base. If you’re dedicated, you don’t have to miss out 100%

Acceptable fats for your healthy lifestyle:

We look for fat sources that are high in omega-3, 6, and 9 fatty acids. Also, many are high in protein. We do not want saturated fats such as butter, cream, meat fat. We don’t want test tube fats like trans (the worst). We want mono/polyunsaturated fats that our body can use for something other than calories. Remember, even good fats are high in calories.

§ Natural peanut butter (no sugar added, just roasted peanuts)
    § Natural almond butter
    § Cashews
    § Almonds
    § Peanuts
    § Flax seeds
    § Flax seed oil
    § Salmon and Trout (great fatty proteins)
    § Fish oil
    § Extra virgin olive oil (should be used on all veggies/salads)
    § Chia seeds
    § Grapeseed oil
    § Macadamia nut oil

Acceptable miscellaneous foods:

These foods don’t provide much as far as macronutrients but are great for adding vitamins/minerals and taste. Notice some of these other foods are dairy. Dairy is another animal’s milk. We lack the enzymes to digest it as they do and it’s high in fat/sugar. It should only be eaten early in the day for nutrient purposes with the exception of whey and casein (cottage cheese).

§ Skim milk (Hood brand is only 45 calories and 3g of sugar per cup)
    § Greek yogurt (no sugar added)
    § Berries (all berries are much lower in sugar than other fruits and packed with fiber/nutrients – eat berries)
    § Green Vegetables. These are technically carbs but they are packed with fiber (a type of carb that isn’t used as energy or stored). In bodybuilding/nutrition – we refer to most vegetables as fibrous carbohydrates. While a serving of Broccoli may have 6g of carbs, 5 are from fiber. Meaning that it contains only 1g of storable carbohydrates. In addition, green vegetables are a calorie neutral/negative food (our body uses more calories to digest them than they contain – think celery). Veggies should be eaten with every meal. Every day. If you do this, you can become almost impervious to getting sick. Some vegetables are better than others for healthy diets.
    § Many non-green vegetables. Most are fine – just check labels, some have a good bit of sugar and should be eaten in moderation only (carrots)

Thanks Damienm05!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    If you play intense sports, that will not be helping u with gaining mass

Ur body will eventually be pushed into a state of overtraining and your muscle gain/recovery ability will suffer

tembe is offline Member
    no i dont believe you have to stop playing intense sports...

just account for this and consume extra calories...drink weight gainer shakes or somehting convenient around sport...

ur only 145 pounds..lots of room to grow very easily

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    FYI this is an extract from a Lye Mdondald article, Cardio and mass gains

Cutting into Recovery/Over-training
    The final two issues I want to look at are extremely related so I’ll look at them together. The basic concern is that trying to combine both heavy weight training and cardio/endurance type training will impair results in the weight room. And there is certainly some truth to that idea.
    A great amount of early research (and practical experience) suggested that the combination of cardiovascular and strength training tended to cause an interference in terms of results. Interestingly (and this is beyond the scope of this article), while cardiovascular training tended to impair strength performance, the opposite often wasn’t seen; heavy strength training didn’t seem to impair the adaptations to endurance training.
    Now one factor to keep in mind is that most of the studies looking at this topic were using some fairly high intensity types of cardio; they were often examining the types of training that might be seen with American football or sports of that nature. Meaning that they don’t automatically have a ton of relevance to what’s being discussed in this article. The intensity is a key factor, for reasons that are beyond the scope of this article. When intensity is kept down and the volume and frequency is more moderate, the potential negative impact of cardiovascular training on adaptations in the weight room is massively reduced.
    In that vein, I would still note that excessive amounts of cardio can still cut into recovery, both systemically (whole-body) and locally (specific muscle groups). The legs are what typically what can take a beating since most cardio modes are lower body dominant. Excessive amounts of even low intensity cardio can cut into the overall recovery of the legs and rotating machines to alter the stress on the musculature may be a worthwhile consideration.

So Cardio while Focusing on Mass Gains…Yes or No?
    In my opinion, with the potential exception of the extremely skinny/hardgainer type (who may still benefit from appetite stimulation), there is more benefit to be had from reasonable amounts of cardio than there are negatives.
    I simply feel that most of the problems with cardio training start to come into play when either the intensity or volume get excessive. As long as the amounts are kept moderate and the intensity is kept under control I think most of the concerns are mostly a non-issue.
    So what defines moderate, reasonable, etc.?
    At a bare minimum, 20-30 minutes of cardio performed three times per week will maintain some basic cardiovascular fitness, burn off a few calories, act as active recovery, and help to keep the fat burning pathways active so that the shift to dieting is a little bit easier; all of the good things that I mentioned. And it should do that without having any really major impact on progress in the weight room.
    A higher frequency can be used but I wouldn’t see much point to more than five per week unless the intensity is kept very low (e.g. you can do brisk walking daily if desired). Going longer than the bare minimum of 20-30 minutes will burn a few more calories but there are limits to time availability (and people start to get bored) and I might set a reasonable limit of 40 minutes of moderate intensity cardio at the maximum; if the intensity is kept way down (again, think brisk walking), an hour is acceptable.
    In terms of intensity, I think keeping things in the low to moderate range is going to be best. More specifically, a maximum intensity of 70% of maximum heart rate (140 beats per minute for someone with a maximum of 200 beats) or even lower should achieve some benefits without cutting into recovery or growth.
    As I referred to in the first part of this article, it’s damn near a bodybuilding tradition to walk on the treadmill for an hour every morning and, while I think that amount is overkill for most, the intensity is definitely going to be low with that type of activity. That bodybuilders have done this successfully for so many years would seem to be an important lesson, especially for those folks who think that the only type of metabolic work worth a damn is high intensity stuff.
    A final issue to examine is that of timing and when to perform the cardio. In an ideal universe, any cardio would probably be done completely separately from weight training. Cardio in the morning (fasted or not) and weights evening would probably be ideal but can’t always be realistically scheduled when people work full-time.
    A very common approach is to perform some type of cardio on off-days from the weight room and this is certainly workable if scheduling will allow it. Of course, not everyone can make it to the gym daily and the weather or what have you may preclude doing it outdoors or at home. As well, for a short 20-30 minute session, making the trip to the gym (driving time may take longer than that) may not be realistic.
    In practical terms, that means performing cardio in conjunction with the weight workout; this raises the question of whether or not it should be done before or after the workout.
    As long as the intensity is kept low, doing a short cardio workout before weights shouldn’t hurt intensity in the gym (just think of it as a prolonged general warm up). Doing it afterwards has less potential to impact on the weight room session itself but, for those compulsive about post-workout nutrition, does delay eating. A reasonable compromise would be to drink your post-workout drink while doing your cardio after the workout.
    I would note that, after heavy leg training, most probably won’t want to do much in the way of cardio. Keeping the session to the bare minimums (e.g. 20 minutes of pretty low intensity work) is probably best. Cardio done after upper body workouts can be a bit longer and/or more intensive if desired (within the guidelines I gave above).

Summing Up
    So summing up, under most circumstances, I think keeping a reasonable amount of moderate intensity cardio in the training program, even when the goal is explicitly mass gaining can be beneficial for most trainees (the major exception being the extreme hardgainer types).
    Potential pros include improved recovery, improved work capacity, better calorie partitioning, improved appetite (sometimes), perhaps staying leaner and an easier time shifting back into dieting when the mass gaining phase is over. The cons, including hampered recovery and systematic overtraining only really become an issue when too much volume or too high of an intensity is performed.
    A minimum of three sessions per week (up to perhaps a maximum of 5) of reasonable duration (20-30 minutes minimum up to perhaps 40 minutes maximum) at a low to moderate intensity (70% of maximum heart rate or less) should achieve the benefits I talked about above without causing any of the problems that I also discussed.

yeha I expected something like that as a problem, so what I tought about was to keep sports down till i reach my ideal weight (165-175lbs) and after that i reallly dont care gaining any more,neither want; just not losing it easily. So when i reach that weight I'm guessing i dont need to have such an intense 4-5 times a week workout to mantain it and either a enormous calorie intake.
    So based in this i beleave a dicent diet with 1.5-2g prots and a 3 times a week intense workout should help keep the weight for years; In other words sacrifice a little by not doing too much activity (beside workout) till reaching my goal, is this a good idea? or still will their be problems?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Overtraining IS a concern, but you need to try and balance things out. You certainly don't need to quit all together, but maybe just ease off a bit.

Most importantly though, be sure that you are getting plenty of calories on those days, and also plenty of recovery time (get your sleep) - you should be ok. Look at football players - these guys play sports CONSTANTLY (all the practices, besides the actual games) and most of them are huge. So clearly it's possible.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    true, but remember....

muscles grow best when at rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    true, but remember....

muscles grow best when at rest!
    supposing I already reached my weight goal (which is not that difficult as most ppl's goal here).
    which means i dont care much of "growing" more my muscles just mantaining myself;in this case will not resting( aside of the normal sleep) affect drastically the mantainance? having in concideration calories are kept proper.
    As Gbrice75 said footbal player do alot of activity, even more than what i really do and they still mantain their shape; so my big question is how can i do that once i get t where i want (175lb)? without steroid ofcourse and having in consideration i dont have super genetic?

FTLdude is offline New Member
    I'm just learning how to set myself up on a serious diet and amp up my workout routines, and can't help but wonder how do you guys do this and how you find the time. In another thread I read that you eat 6 tightly controlled meals daily at timed intervals. Then you do cardio for 1 hour, weights for an hour and a half, plus recreational sports. Is there a way to do a modified version of this? I'm trying to build some lean mass. I mostly do the typical 3 squares a day although I admit that (up until this point) my diet hasn't always been 100% clean but its pretty healthy. Won't have a problem cutting out the bad stuff completely, but then again I'm not a big eater. I get full pretty quicky and just have to stop eating. I work 12 to 13 hour days plus another hour to get to and from the job. I sometimes get so busy running between patients that I skip lunch. I do cardio EOD for 45 minutes to an hour and do moderate weights 4 to 5 times a week for an hour at a time. My BF is currently at 21% (which I don't get because I just don't see it when I look in the mirror). I don't always get enough sleep and I feel tired all the time. Blood pressure kept going up and up due to the stress, and my doc just recently had to put me on BPs meds. I'm neither gaining nor losing---just stuck in the same place.

I need to get this down. Need to seriously think more about how to do it though. My goal is to drop the BF and gradually gain about 20 lbs of lean muscle.

Jahcuree is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blazerelf View Post
    yeha I expected something like that as a problem, so what I tought about was to keep sports down till i reach my ideal weight (165-175lbs) and after that i reallly dont care gaining any more,neither want; just not losing it easily. So when i reach that weight I'm guessing i dont need to have such an intense 4-5 times a week workout to mantain it and either a enormous calorie intake.
    So based in this i beleave a dicent diet with 1.5-2g prots and a 3 times a week intense workout should help keep the weight for years; In other words sacrifice a little by not doing too much activity (beside workout) till reaching my goal, is this a good idea? or still will their be problems?
    This is a good plan right here brother.

If your anything like me i had to stall most if not all of my extra activities besides my workouts to be able to gain. But you should be able to maintain as long as you stay on the diet and keep your lifts up. Goodluck

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    He's 19 guys. I think as long as he's not running marathons, he'll be ok as long as the diet is in-check.

tembe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    He's 19 guys. I think as long as he's not running marathons, he'll be ok as long as the diet is in-check.
    thank you

layne norton used to play competitive rugby whilst competing..as long as you account for it in ur macros u will b ok

Thread Information