bodybuilder is offline Senior Member

Brown rice vs White rice

Whats the difference between white rice and brown rice. I have read in numerous bodybuilding magz that white rice is an ok source of carbs. Now i know gbrice you advocate the use of brown rice whats is the reason for this bro.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    My reply from the original post in the members section:

LB will probably argue this one, I know he's a big proponent of white rice. Brown rice is lower on the GI, albeit not by much. If that's not enough of a reason, brown rice is a whole grain and has nutritional value. White rice is pretty much stripped down and devoid of any nutrients whatsoever. It's just an empty carb.

Having said that, it's probably my last choice as a carb source. Sweet potato/yam or oats would be my first, followed by lentils, beans, quinoa, etc.

That would probably explain why white rice doesn't taste as bad as brown. So is it ok to say that white rice isn't necessarily bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulllock View Post
    That would probably explain why white rice doesn't taste as bad as brown. So is it ok to say that white rice isn't necessarily bad for you.
    I guess, but it's not good for you either, brown rice is. It depends on your goals. I wouldn't eat white rice while cutting, that's for sure. LB will definitely take issue with that one!

Would love to hear what LB has to say about it. But any ways the reason why i ask is because the only way i find myself being able to scarf down brown rice is by boiling it with chicken broth. Now i know this isn't the best way to eat it but its the easiest route for me. Would i be better of eating white rice instead or should i just man up and go without the broth.

n00bs is offline Member
    Define bad for you...

Technically anything that turns to sugar quickly is bad for you on a certain side of things...

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulllock View Post
    Would love to hear what LB has to say about it. But any ways the reason why i ask is because the only way i find myself being able to scarf down brown rice is by boiling it with chicken broth. Now i know this isn't the best way to eat it but its the easiest route for me. Would i be better of eating white rice instead or should i just man up and go without the broth.
    I understand wanting to enjoy your food to some extent. There are people where who can eat the most boring plain crap day after day and be ok. LB is like this, so is Fireguy when he's in contest prep. There's reasons why there are people who look like me, and then people who look like they do. So for me to tell you to man up and eat brown rice boiled in water... well i'd be a hypocrite because I go to some lengths to make my food somewhat enjoyable, or at least not awful. I would suggestion however that if you do use broth, go with low sodium broth. I cook my lentils in beef broth instead of water, so there ya go.

Yeah i have been using low sodium broth. I am able to eat my veggies, beans, and sweet potato's with just plain water, brown rice being my only issue. White rice i can tolerate though.

If anything, i'd suggest dropping rice all together if it's that big of an issue for you. Like I said, it'd be my last choice carb source anyway, it's not all that special.

You should try basmati rice, you might like it better.

Cool basmati rice will look into it. It usually is my last choice of carbs sweet patato and beans being my favs.

UMFan is offline Junior Member
    Plain white rice has far less Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folacin, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron and over dozen other nutrients. Added to that, the dietary fiber contained in white rice is around a quarter of brown rice. Also, rice bran oil, which is present only in brown rice, contains gamma-oryzanol, a compound with the ability to lower cholesterol. Not too shabby. I made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UMFan View Post
    Plain white rice has far less Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folacin, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron and over dozen other nutrients. Added to that, the dietary fiber contained in white rice is around a quarter of brown rice. Also, rice bran oil, which is present only in brown rice, contains gamma-oryzanol, a compound with the ability to lower cholesterol. Not too shabby. I made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back.
    Brown rice wins by a knockout! Kinda like Michigan State over Michigan today.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I would suggestion however that if you do use broth, go with low sodium broth. I cook my lentils in beef broth instead of water, so there ya go.
    I see you finally took the dive into the world of lentils. Great right?

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    I see you finally took the dive into the world of lentils. Great right?
    LoL yea man, I was looking for a good carb to eat with lean ground beef, and I threw together a few simple ingredients. Looks like shit, literally, but tastes pretty good IMO:

1lb 93/7 lean ground beff
    1 cup (dry) lentils
    1 1/2 cups low sodium beef stock/broth
    2 cups tomato sauce (the crappy canned variety, like Hunts. Trust me)
    salt
    pepper
    chili powder
    cumin
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    tabasco

Cover dry lentils in a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups beef stock. Bring to a slow boil. Cover with lid slightly tilted and cook until tender but not mushy, usually around 20 mins. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a pan, drain grease, etc. return to pan. Add cooked lentils and 2 cups of tomato sauce. Season to your liking and enjoy! Usually makes 4-5 servings for me.

Sounds good. Throw some collard greens or kale up in there too.

Ouch. Ya that was ugly. Needless to say, my Saturday sucked pretty bad...

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UMFan View Post
    Ouch. Ya that was ugly. Needless to say, my Saturday sucked pretty bad...
    It's not hard to insert an S in the middle of your name and change your avatar to spartan green...Oh and what about the SEC? Bama beat by who???

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    It's not hard to insert an S in the middle of your name and change your avatar to spartan green...Oh and what about the SEC? Bama beat by who???
    Haha...ya that was great. Can't believe SC pulled it off. They beat 'em pretty soundly too. That took the sting out of the UM game, but only a little!

Sounds good. Throw some collard greens or kale up in there too.
    Kale would be very nice! I actually just finished cooking for the week (thank GOD!) and changed this meal up a bit - used barilla plus elbow macaroni. I know I know, not nearly as good/clean a carb source as lentils... but I wanted to get away from the 'chili' flavor and go more the Italian route - couldn't envision it with lentils in that dish. May try brown rice next week and go for a sort of dirty rice type dish.

I really like making dirty rice with brown basmati and lean ground turkey. I use a lot of onions sauteed with some rendered low-sodium bacon (i just use a few strips for a big batch, so it's negligible). really good stuff.

I really like making dirty rice with brown basmati and lean ground turkey. I use a lot of onions sauteed with some rendered low-sodium bacon (i just use a few strips for a big batch, so it's negligible). really good stuff.
    That sounds really nice! MMMmmmm, bacon!

Thread Information