Coldstarrynite is offline Female Member

Diet question.....Fruit?

Quick question.

Little background. I've been working with a nutritionist for about 6 weeks now on a refeeding diet for my ED. I'd like to make the switch to a clean muscle building diet to makes some gains due to loss of muscle. She really is not a fan of a high protein clean diet and wants me to eat 4-5 serving of fruit a day. Obviously I'm not a fan of that.

Quetion would be.... How important/or not desired is fruit in a body building diet? I know the high sugar /carb content is not that appealing. Does fruit have any benefit? I want to gain muscle while cutting some body fat.

Thanks all!!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldstarrynite;542***6
    Quick question.

Little background. I've been working with a nutritionist for about 6 weeks now on a refeeding diet for my ED. I'd like to make the switch to a clean muscle building diet to makes some gains due to loss of muscle. She really is not a fan of a high protein clean diet and wants me to eat 4-5 serving of fruit a day. Obviously I'm not a fan of that.

Quetion would be.... How important/or not desired is fruit in a body building diet? I know the high sugar /carb content is not that appealing. Does fruit have any benefit? I want to gain muscle while cutting some body fat.

Thanks all!!
    Welcome to the board!

Ok, you're going to get mixed opinions on fruit. Here's mine:

On a cutting diet where body fat reduction is the primary goal, I would stay away from fruit almost completely. At the end of the day, sugar is sugar and you should be getting those grams of carbs from a better source (complex) IMO. Also, fructose doesn't do much for glycogen replenishment in muscle; it does restore liver glycogen however. It does have the obvious benefits of fiber, vitamins, anti-oxidants, etc. But you can supplement those without the added sugar.

If you are already at a low bodyfat and the primary goal shifts to gaining lean mass, the game changes a bit. I am definitely alot more forgiving in regards to fruit in this scenario. However, I would limit it to first thing in the morning, and/or pre/post workout. At the end of the day, it's STILL sugar, and sugar generally has no place in a bodybuilding diet (some will argue about PWO nutrition, sorry I don't subsribe to this either).

PS - not all fruits are created equal. Apples, oranges, etc are relatively good choices, but something like pineapple is SUPER high in sugar and has almost no other benefit.

Hope this helps!

PS -

Thank you for that straight honest answer! Will a straight multi vit. suffice? Or do I need something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldstarrynite View Post
    Thank you for that straight honest answer! Will a straight multi vit. suffice? Or do I need something else?
    No problem! Multi Vitamin will take care of the vitamins obviously, lol but if you want all the benfits you'd have to look into supplementing fiber and anti-oxidants. Actually, if your diet is on point, you should already be getting plenty of fiber from the good complex carbs. One thing I forgot is that berries are a better choice over fruit IMO - and have a ton of nutrients. I eat a 1/2 cup of blueberries with my oats, but pretty much any berry is good - strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, acai berries, gojo, etc.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    What do you mean when you say a refeeding diet for your ED?

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    What do you mean when you say a refeeding diet for your ED?
    Oh yea, I meant to ask this too - what's ED???

LOL sorry. Eating disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldstarrynite View Post
    LOL sorry. Eating disorder.
    LoL ok, makes more sense! At first I was like wtf... how can a girl have ED, and why would her diet matter? lol

weknowbobbito is offline Junior Member
    i would like to know as well

Thread Information