Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    PP....how's it going for you!!!! Your new diet is very strict so don't get discouraged. We are all cheering for you!! You go girl!!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    =(

I'm starting to get nervous that we lost PP...

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by prettypoodle View Post
    You've been a great deal of help so far and I'd love it if you would reconsider and keep helping me. I understand that there's been a lot of information thrown at me and you don't want me to get overwhelmed (which I kind of am), but it's all been excellent advice so I don't mind taking the time to sort through it all so that I understand.

I'm going to go grocery shopping today so if you could just let me know if I should avoid nut butters and fruits for my snacks and also, are all protein shakes the same? If not, do you have one you recommend? I'll be eating my diet with Scotty's revisions and in addition to cardio in the am and my classes, I'll be doing the workout that tbody suggested for me 4 times a week on the days I don't teach my classes. I'll check in every 10 days or so with any progress or questions that I have.

Thank you all so, so much.
    PRetty Poodle mentioned that she will check in every 10 days or so.... in this post....

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    PRetty Poodle mentioned that she will check in every 10 days or so.... in this post....
    Nice! I forgot about that, thanks Slimmer! We're anxious to hear about her progress and 10 days feels like forever, but we'll be here when she checks in...

prettypoodle is offline Female Member

A slight setback

Well, there's good news and there's bad news. The good news is that I've lost 7 lbs. The bad news is that it's not from following my plan.

Last Wednesday, I woke up with terrible upper abdominal pains that radiated to my back, but I just figured that this new workout program was working parts of my body that hadn't been paid attention to. I also found myself having difficulty eating so many times a day, almost to the point where I felt nauseous, but again, I figured that my body just wasn't used to eating that way and shrugged it off. 24 hours later, I had a fever of 102 and was practically doubled over in the fetal position crying because I was in so much pain. Long story short, it turns out I had pancreatitis and just got out of the ICU today.

I did lose 7 lbs, but probably because while in the hospital they starved me so that my pancreas could readjust itself. Luckily, I'm feeling much better today and was even able to go to the gym for a little while. I've been advised to stay away from solid foods for at least another week, though, so I'll have to deviate from my diet for a little while longer.

I just wanted to check in and let you guys know that I'm still alive and getting skinny, one hospitalization at a time

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    OH MY!!! PLease take care of yourself, PrettyPoodle! Rest and heal.

Sorry to here that PP, that really sucks!

You know we're here for you when you're ready to return. I'd rather see you recover fully then to jump prematurely into this. You need a healthy body and a clear conscience. Rest up and heal!

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes ma'am, get rested up and get back here healthy and ready to go. Also go check out the AR remote trainer thread here in the diet section and get signed up for that, should be about perfect timing for when you're fully recovered and ready to make some progress.

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty sure I'm fully healed now. My appetite is back and the doctor said that would be one of the first signs that things are back to normal.

Now about this remote trainer deal; I just read the whole thread and it sounds great, but I see some of the other trainees are like, already in what looks like really good shape to me. If they're already starting at an "8" on the fitness scale, should someone like me who's, uh, not exactly at an 8 yet even bother joining? I see that there were concerns about there being too many trainees and not enough trainers, and I didn't want to look like Mrs. Me too just jumping on the bandwagon and adding to the imbalance.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by prettypoodle View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'm pretty sure I'm fully healed now. My appetite is back and the doctor said that would be one of the first signs that things are back to normal.

Now about this remote trainer deal; I just read the whole thread and it sounds great, but I see some of the other trainees are like, already in what looks like really good shape to me. If they're already starting at an "8" on the fitness scale, should someone like me who's, uh, not exactly at an 8 yet even bother joining? I see that there were concerns about there being too many trainees and not enough trainers, and I didn't want to look like Mrs. Me too just jumping on the bandwagon and adding to the imbalance.
    Join. Nobody should be left out. I know that people like me and Tbody are willing to put in the extra time to accommodate more trainees. I would also love some variety (male/female lose/gain).

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Join. Nobody should be left out. I know that people like me and Tbody are willing to put in the extra time to accommodate more trainees. I would also love some variety (male/female lose/gain).
    Absolutely, Twist nailed this!

Another thing is that you have a better chance, the closer you get to your ideal body the harder it is to get, and notice, gains.
    Going from 60% in shape to 85%-90% in shape is easy, after that it gets harder and harder for each % point.

Agreed with these guys. PLEASE don't shortchange yourself over perceived problems we're having. We will work out the kinks and all will be good. Join!

hey girl...how's it going?!?

I'm down another pound since my last update which I guess is better than nothing, but not as much as I would have liked. I've been studying for finals and dealing with end of the semester stuff so I missed my morning cardio quite a few times, but I've found it surprisingly easy to stick to my diet. My birthday was about a week and a half ago so I did have a little cheat meal

I think I'm doing my rows wrong, though. I feel it in my lower back more than my legs (which I think is where I think I'm supposed to feel it) so I'm not sure what to do about that. I'm afraid to ask the guys at my gym because they're like, always in the zone and grunting and stuff so I don't want to interrupt.

But in general I'm adapting well to these changes and hoping that it gets easier as I keep going.

Ms. Poodle can you repost what you are doing as far as diet and training and goals go? What is the final program and what is the goal?

I do an hour of fasted cardio every morning, usually running but sometimes the elliptical if I have time to get to the gym that early. I teach kickboxing Mondays and Tuesdays and a spin class on Thursdays. Wed, Fri and Sundays, this is the weight training program I do (as suggested by tbody):

Squats 3 sets 15-20 reps perform these all by themselves, little rest between sets (90 secs)
    Stiff legged deadlifts 15-20 reps supersetted with standing calf raises 3x21 (7/7/7-toes in/heels out-toes out/heels in-toes and heels lined up)
    Pulldowns 3 sets 12-15 reps supersetted with flat barbell Bench Press 3 sets 12-15 reps
    bent rows 3 sets 12-15 reps supersetted with Incline Bench Press 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Military Press 3 sets 12-15 reps Supersetted with Crunches 3 sets to failure
    Upright rows 3 sets 20-25 reps supersetted with hanging leg lifts 3 sets to failure
    Barbell Curls 3 sets 12-15 reps supersetted with skull crushers 3 sets 12-15 reps.

My diet:

Days 1, 3, 5 and 7
    Meal 1:
    1 egg
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1 oz green pepper
    1 oz red onion
    1/2 cup of grits (I tried the oats but I just couldn't stomach them and I'm hoping that grits are a good substitute)
    2 cups black coffee
    (295 cal, 37.5g carbs, 22.2g protein, 5.7g fat)

Meal 2:
    2/3 cup greek yogurt
    1/2 cup strawberries
    (155 cal, 11g carbs, 11g protein, 8g fat)

Meal 3:
    1 cup mixed greens
    3 oz chicken breast
    balsamic vinegar and 2 tsp olive oil
    (250 cal, 8g carbs, 27g protein, 13g fat)

Meal 4:
    3 slices of turkey breast wrapped in romaine with balsamic vinegar
    1/2 oz. part skim mozzarella
    (102 cal, 3g carbs, 14.2g protein, 3.4 g fat)

GYM TIME

Meal 5/Post work out:
    Syntha 6 Protein shake (My boyfriend was nice enough to buy me this stuff because it's apparently what he uses with great results, but if anyone can recommend a cheaper alternative that still tastes good, I'd be super grateful since this stuff is WAAY expensive for me)
    (200 cal, 6g fat, 14 g carbs, 22 g protein)

Meal 6:
    3oz 96/4 ground beef patty (it's the leanest I could find), no bun
    1 cup spinach salad
    with balsamic vinegar and 2 tsp olive oil
    1 baked sweet potato
    (356 cal, 16g fat, 28g protein, 25g carbs)

Grand total: 1358 cal, 52.1 fat, 98.5 carbs, 124.4 pro

Days 2, 4 and 6

Meal 1:
    1cup egg whites
    1 oz green pepper
    1 oz red onion
    1/2 cup grits
    2 cups black coffee
    (375 cal, 48.4g carbs, 37g protein, 3g fat)

Meal 2:
    4 oz lean sirloin
    1/2 cup quinoa
    (339 cal, 23.5 carbs, 38.7 protein, 9.5 fat)

Meal 3:
    5oz tuna patty
    1 cup spinach salad
    with balsamic vinegar and 2 tsp olive oil
    (307 cal, 15g fat, 1g carbs, 42g protein)

Meal 4:
    handful of almonds or other nut (approx 1 oz)
    (162 cal, 14g fat, 6g carbs, 6g protein)

Pre workout/Meal 5:
    3/4 cup steamed edamame with soy sauce
    (141 cal, 6g fat, 12g carbs, 12.75g protein)

GYM TIME

Post workout/Meal 6:
    Syntha 6 Protein shake
    (200 cal, 6g fat, 14 g carbs, 22 g protein)

Meal 7:
    3 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1tsp soy sauce
    1 cup spinach salad
    with balsamic vinegar and 3 tsp olive oil
    (422 cal, 19g fat, 24g carbs, 30.5g protein)

Grand total: 1948 cal, 128.9 carbs, 154 pro, 72.5 fat

I feel like I'm eating a ton of food on my 2/4/6 days, so I've just made my week start on Tuesday so that I'm eating all that food on the days that I weight train assuming the extra food will help me. The fat seems kind of high so maybe cutting a meal out will help me lose weight faster? And I tried eating steak at night time, but my tum didn't think that was a good idea so I'm not eating anything past dinner. I also have started taking Tonalin CLA and Alli since my doctor said that they are both safe and have been known to aid in healthy weight loss.

I started out at 230 mid November and I'm now at 222, although 7lbs of the weight loss was from a hospital stay late last month and not necessarily from my new routine. My goal is to be at or below 200 by the end of March and then get to 170 by the end of June. Depending on how I feel about my body at that point, I'll decide if I want to lose more or revamp my program so that I can maintain/build muscle/whatever. As I said in one of my initial posts, I'm not looking to get extra skinny, since I'm a tall girl with a larger frame and I think I look best with a little weight one me. I'm signed up for the remote challenge competition so I'm sure my diet and training will change depending on what trainer I get, but in the meantime, I'd like to get some more progress going myself, so if my current routine and diet needs some more work, please feel free to let me know.
    Last edited by prettypoodle; 12-11-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Muscle weights more then fat...so don't be too preoccupied with the scales...fit of clothes is a better gage at this point. You are doing great!

Height? 5'9"

Weight? 230

Age? 22

Bodyfat? 30%

Goals? reduce body fat to 22-24% and lose at least 30 lbs

1. Drop your cals to 1300 both days with one day per week at 1500. If you don't lose 3lbs in the first 2 weeks drop cals again to 1000 with one day per week at 1400.
    2. drop the handful of nuts meal
    3. Your program needs to be changed up.
    Day1
    Lunges - 4 sets add weight to make this exercise really hard. 16 reps with each foot, this means you can't do 17 reps without falling over. Superset this with jumping jacks for 30 seconds. 1 minute break between sets
    Squats - 4 sets of 16 reps; once agian this means you can't do 17 reps. When you feel like you can't do anymore, shoot for 5 more reps. Superset this with calf raises. One minute rest between sets.
    Sngle-Leg Leg Extension - 20 reps each leg, superset with 1 minute of Jumping Jacks. 1 minute rest between sets.
    30 minutes carido HIIT style.

Day 2
    Back
    Seated cable row - 4 sets 12-16 reps. Put everything you got into this exercise. Really squeeze your shoulder blades together on the contraction, and separate them on the eccentric portion.
    Lat Pulldown - 12-16 reps, 3 sets. Focus on a big squeeze at the contraction. Try to touch your elbows behind your back(obviously it won't happen but that's the squeeze you want). Superset with 30 seconds jumping jacks. 1 minute rest
    Deadlift - 30 reps light weight 3 sets. Superset with back extension (the machine that holds your legs in place and you can freely move your upper body). 1 minute rest.
    30 minutes cardio HIIT style.

Day 3
    Chest
    Flat Bench with dumbbells - 16 reps, 4 sets. Superset with bicep curls 12 reps, 4 sets.
    Decline Bench Hammer strength Machine - 16 reps 4 sets. Superset with tricep rope pushdown, 4 sets 16 reps. 1 minute jumping jacks between sets followed by a 30 second rest.
    Arms
    Straight Bar Bicep Curl - 3 sets, 10 reps. Superset-->
    Dumbbell Overhead press - 3 sets, 10 reps. 30 seconds jumping jacks, 30 second rest.
    Standing military press with close grip - 3 sets of 16, 30 second rest

The above is a 3 day split and does not have to be done in the order I posted. This doesn't mean only go to the gym for three days, other days can be good cardio days. Like try out the stairmaster, do hiit on the elliptical etc.

4. Cardio should all be HIIT. If you do it at home on a treadmill(?) and you can't all out run, then walk and every 3 minutes step off the treadmill and do 10 bodyweight jump squats.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but I saw some changes I thought were appropriate. Enjoy the fat loss.

BTW do you have a thyroid issue? How did you gain the weight in the first place? You seem to be active if you teach a kickboxing and cardio class...

Good job, Twist, as always.

Pretty, do what twist lined out above and be ready for whatever your trainer from the challange tells you after that. Keep us up to date, please.

Thanks Twist. So I'll cut meals 2 and 4 from my even days and just drink water if I find myself getting hungry.

And I was always average bodyweight and active (field hockey and basketball) until about 5 years ago when I first started college. Long story short, I was an aspiring model and was being told by agency after agency that I needed to either gain weight to do plus size or lose weight to do straight size because at my size, I'd never get work. Many pushed me to do plus because of my natural body build (I may have been average body weight, but I genetically have wide hips and a large bust, something that losing weight can't change) so that's what I did.

I gained about 40 lbs over the course of 6 months and worked at 190-200 lbs until about a year and a half ago when I got depressed when I realized that it took more than a pretty face to be a real model. I stopped getting jobs and started eating and voila, 50 lbs later, I was almost 250 lbs and way heavier and more out of shape than I'd ever imagined I'd be. That's when I got into a gym, started taking classes, eventually started teaching the classes and just from the increase in activity I lost 20 lbs. I started working with a nutritionist who was able to help me lose another 20 lbs and get me down to 209 earlier this year but unfortunately, all of that weight crept back because at that time I didn't have the dedication to remain on the strict diet he had suggested for me.
    Last edited by prettypoodle; 12-11-2010 at 03:12 PM.

how's it going girl?

Quote Originally Posted by girlgymrat View Post
    how's it going girl?
    I might ask you the same! =)

gbrice..now lets not be accused of highjack's PP thread talking about me!!

You're right. I'm sorry PP, I still lub u! tee hee!

Because it's a holiday, I'll let you guys slide this time

Since my last post I haven't lost any more lbs, but with all of the alcohol I've been drinking and holiday snack temptation, I just wanted to make sure I didn't gain any weight during the holidays.

I'm excited to get my workout and diet info from my trainer for the challenge and of course I'll update this thread as I go along. It means a lot that you guys keep checking in on me. Thank you for the continued motivation and support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information