mns752k1 is offline New Member

Please Critique Diet! Thanks

I am looking for advice on my daily training and diet plan to loose body fat.

I am 30 yrs of age, 240 lbs, 6'2", with a body fat percentage of 22%. Tryin to cut the fat while not loosing what muscle i have. I work out 5 days a week currently with 30-45 minutes of cardio on the days I work out (after workouts since I heard its the best time for cardio for burning fat). I keep my reps high and my rest period to 30-45 seconds apart.
    My BMR is 2297 My daily Calorie Needed based on the Harris Benedict Formula is 3560 Calories. I'm shedding 1000 calories off that to have a goal of 2600 calories a day. This current diet plan is at 2691 Calolries. What ya'll think? Thanks for the help.
    Also have listed my supplements as well. If any other supplements would be beneficial please advice. thanks

Meal 1
    8 oz Egg Whites
    1/2 Cup Oatmeal (Uncooked)
    8 oz Skim Milk
    360/37/44/3

Meal 2
    Protien Shake (ON Gold Standard)
    2 Tbl of Peanut Butter
    1 Banana
    540/56/43/18

Meal 3
    6 oz Chicken Breast
    1 Cup Brown Rice (Cooked)
    Flaxseed Oil 4 Pills
    370/31/41/5

Meal 4
    Protien Shake
    8 oz Skim Milk with Shake
    Banana
    440/57/48/2

Meal 5
    6 oz Sirloin Steak
    1 med Sweet Potato
    8 pc Asparagus
    531/57/41/13

Meal 6
    Casien Protien Shake
    Peanut Butter 2Tbl
    450/55/18/19

Total Protien: 293
    Total Carbs: 235
    Total Fat: 60
    Total Calories: 2691

Take Glutamine before and after workouts. Take BCAA's with meal 1 and before bed.
    Take Creatine before and after workouts.

Thanks for the help.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mns752k1 View Post
    I am looking for advice on my daily training and diet plan to loose body fat.

I am 30 yrs of age, 240 lbs, 6'2", with a body fat percentage of 22%. Tryin to cut the fat while not loosing what muscle i have. I work out 5 days a week currently with 30-45 minutes of cardio on the days I work out (after workouts since I heard its the best time for cardio for burning fat). I keep my reps high and my rest period to 30-45 seconds apart.
    My BMR is 2297 My daily Calorie Needed based on the Harris Benedict Formula is 3560 Calories. I'm shedding 1000 calories off that to have a goal of 2600 calories a day. This current diet plan is at 2691 Calolries. What ya'll think? Thanks for the help.
    Also have listed my supplements as well. If any other supplements would be beneficial please advice. thanks Thanks for all the info and details. It makes my life easy. First off, before we get into the meals: even if you overestimated your maintenance cals at 3600 - that deficit is still too severe maintain muscle - at 240 with 22% body fat - I imagine your a pretty buff dude and will be more prone to muscle loss at such a deficit as opposed to someone who's just starting out. I'd recommended adding 500 calories and doing more cardio. You'll look better when all is said and down and you'll still reach your goals just as quickly (maybe faster with the fat burning process being optimized by keeping all of your muscle).

Meal 1
    8 oz Egg Whites
    1/2 Cup Oatmeal (Uncooked)
    8 oz Skim Milk The first thing I look to cut from cutting diets is sugar, in all form. Not just table sugar but fructose and lactose as well, so be prepared to drop the milk and fruit in your diet for best cutting results. Add 2 whole eggs instead. I'd also start the day with a whole cup of oats.
    360/37/44/3

Meal 2
    Protien Shake (ON Gold Standard) Is this your PWO meal? Regardless, take out the banana and peanut butter and make oats the carb staple in your shakes. We'll get the extra fat from the PB in later. Now, if this ISN'T your PWO - I'd recommend 50/50 whey/casein as it's a really poor meal substitute otherwise.
    2 Tbl of Peanut Butter
    1 Banana
    540/56/43/18

Meal 3
    6 oz Chicken Breast Good meal. I think fish oil is a better idea than flax but it's a minor detail.
    1 Cup Brown Rice (Cooked)
    Flaxseed Oil 4 Pills
    370/31/41/5

Meal 4
    Protien Shake Again, what's the deal here? Is this an on-the-go meal replacement or a PWO recovery supplement? In either case, remove the sugar and simply have a cup of oats. Again, for the case of a meal replacement, you should mix with casein.
    8 oz Skim Milk with Shake
    Banana
    440/57/48/2

Meal 5
    6 oz Sirloin Steak really nice meal
    1 med Sweet Potato
    8 pc Asparagus
    531/57/41/13

Meal 6
    Casien Protien Shake
    Peanut Butter 2Tbl
    450/55/18/19

Total Protien: 293 Let's look to get protein up via making your meat portions 8 oz. instead of 6. 350 would be ideal based on how I'd like to bring up the calories to 3100 or so.
    Total Carbs: 235 Larger portions of complex carbs at breakfast and in the shakes. Maybe even have a 60-70g portion in your pre-workout meal, whichever that may be. Let's get up to 300g - none of which should be from simple sugars.
    Total Fat: 60 Perfect. I removed a serving of peanut butter in meal 2 in favor of 1 cup of oats - I added a couple whole eggs at breakfast however. Add another 6g of omega-3 somewhere.
    Total Calories: 2691

Take Glutamine before and after workouts. Take BCAA's with meal 1 and before bed.
    Take Creatine before and after workouts. I'd simply do 5g of creatine in the PWO shake. As for the BCAAs - have them in between meals and during exercise for optimal effect.

Thanks for the help.
    Really need to know the workout time and accordingly which meals are pre/post. This will go a long way in determining how we portion your carbs throughout the day. Above in bold is what I can say as of right now and are all changes that should be implemented asap.

Also, cardio! What is your current regiment?

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    I would also like to know some things about your workout and experience. How long have you been lifting, how long seriously, what poundages to you use on your core lifts. What exactly is your five day program, specific exercises, sets/reps and weight. You will probably be best served modifying your workout if you begin calorie deficiencies as well. Your strength may not be affected, but your energy levels might, at least for awhile. Also, and this might be most important, post some pictures, no one here believes any bf% measuring scale and it could have a dramatic affect on the advice you are given.

Glad to be along for the ride, you came to a great place for family and friends to come along side and help you acheive so much more so much quicker and safer!

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    I would also like to know some things about your workout and experience. How long have you been lifting, how long seriously, what poundages to you use on your core lifts. What exactly is your five day program, specific exercises, sets/reps and weight. You will probably be best served modifying your workout if you begin calorie deficiencies as well. Your strength may not be affected, but your energy levels might, at least for awhile. Also, and this might be most important, post some pictures, no one here believes any bf% measuring scale and it could have a dramatic affect on the advice you are given.

Glad to be along for the ride, you came to a great place for family and friends to come along side and help you acheive so much more so much quicker and safer!
    Been working out for at least 8 years. On and off throughout. Never really got into it hardcore enough to see my arms grow an inch and my bench incease 20 lbs. Always been pretty bulky cause my diet was always horrible. 30 yrs old now and can't wait all my life to get the body ive always wanted. So im seriously ready mentally. I never really kept a good log throught training but am ready know.

My typical 5 day training week:

Monday-Chest,Biceps
    Incline Bench Press 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Pec Dec 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Decline Barbell Fly 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Push Up 3 sets to Failure
    Preacher Curls 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Alternating Dumbell Curls 4sets 12-15 reps

Tuesday Legs
    Leg extensions 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Leg curls 3 set 12-15 reps
    Barbell Lungs 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Calve raises 3 sets 10-12 reps

Wednesday-Cardio

Thursday- Triceps, Shoulders
    Pull Downs 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Skullcrushers 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Bentover reverse tricep extensions 3 set 12-15 reps
    Overhead Dumbell Press 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Dumbell reverse fly 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Cable Lateral raise 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Shrugs 3 sets 8-12 reps

Friday-Back
    Reverse Grip Bent over Row 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Seated Cable Row 4 set 12-15 reps
    Hyperextensions 4 set Failure

Sat-Sun- Rest

I try to do Cardio everyday but usually I do 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes after my workouts. Been doing a lot of the HIIT as well maybe 10 minutes after post-workout cardio if i have enough juice left in the tank. I also try to do abs everyday in smaller sets.

Thanks again for all your help its been great support and motivation.
    Last edited by mns752k1; 11-17-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Cardio, Cardio, Cardio. I can't seem to get enough in and at the right time of day. I currently do 30 minutes in the morning when i wake up, go to the gym ad get on the bike for 30 minutes than maybe 10 minutes of HIIT. i do 30 minutes moderate cardio where my heart rate is around 130-140 and than 10 minutes HIIT if i have enough juice left. Thanks for all the advice on the diet I change some of the formulas and came up with this. I dropped the milk and all the peanut butter in the shakes and added oatmeal ( cooked right?)
    Also increase chicken from 6 oz to 8 oz and steak from 6 oz to 9 oz. Fat went up do to the steak.

Breakfast
    8 oz egg whites
    2 whole eggs
    2 cups cooked oatmeal
    560/46/59/16

Pre-Workout
    Protien Shake
    1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
    1 Banana
    495/54/62/5

Post-Workout
    Protien Shake and 1/2 Cup cooked Oatmeal
    385/53/33/5

Lunch or late lunch due to being in the restuarant business it varys
    8 oz Chicken Breast
    Brown Rice
    Flaxseed Oil
    407/40/41/5

Mid Evening Snack-Notice I only take 1 scoop of whey instead of two, the reason or the lower calories
    Protien Shake and 1/2 Cup Oatmeal
    305/29/30/4

Late-Dinner ( Usuallu don't get to eat till after the dinner rush which is around 8-9pm
    9 oz Sirloin
    Sweet Potato
    Asparagus
    645/82/41/19

Bedtime
    Casein Protien Shake
    Peanut Butter
    450/55/18/19

3247 Total Calories. Is this to much?
    Protien: 359
    Carbs:284 close to 300 Damien
    Fat: 73

cue_artist is offline Associate Member
    Bro, I like your diet plan except that I have noticed that your protein intake keeps fluctuating and never constant. You should provide your body with a steady flow of amino acids throughout the day from different sources. I am also not a fan of keeping all the fat intake before bedtime and like to balance it out throughout the day equally between my meals. One other thing that I have noticed is that you are depending on protein shakes alot. If it is possible to substitute with whole food I would recommend doing that, if not then it ok.

I see a few issues with the workout, would you mind terribly if I made some suggestions? And, are you considering posting some pics?

Cardio, Cardio, Cardio. I can't seem to get enough in and at the right time of day. I currently do 30 minutes in the morning when i wake up, go to the gym ad get on the bike for 30 minutes than maybe 10 minutes of HIIT. i do 30 minutes moderate cardio where my heart rate is around 130-140 and than 10 minutes HIIT if i have enough juice left. Thanks for all the advice on the diet I change some of the formulas and came up with this. I dropped the milk and all the peanut butter in the shakes and added oatmeal ( cooked right?) Good to see you putting in work on the cardio front. That's huge. I feel you'd be more successful just doing a longer low-intensity session when waking up, fasted. 60 minutes at 120 bpm is ideal for targeting fat and sparing muscle.
    Also increase chicken from 6 oz to 8 oz and steak from 6 oz to 9 oz. Fat went up do to the steak.

Breakfast
    8 oz egg whites
    2 whole eggs
    2 cups cooked oatmeal Right on - that should be 1 cup raw to confirm. Never measured cooked oats, so I dunno.
    560/46/59/16

Pre-Workout
    Protien Shake
    1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
    1 Banana See, this is why it's huge to know what the pre-workout meal is. Now that I do, I can tell you to scrap it. A protein shake is a supp for rapid recovery PWO - it's in and out of your system too fast to provide a steady source of aminos while you lift. Make this a lean protein based meal like 8 oz. of chicken breast with a lot of complex carbs. 1 cup mashed sweet potato is a great pre-workout carb.
    495/54/62/5

Post-Workout
    Protien Shake and 1/2 Cup cooked Oatmeal Cool, get this in 10-15 minutes after the last set. You mean uncooked, yea?
    385/53/33/5

Lunch or late lunch due to being in the restuarant business it varys
    8 oz Chicken Breast
    Brown Rice
    Flaxseed Oil I used to be a chef and I now tend bar - I feel your pain but it can't vary, at least not here. It's very important that this whole food meal come no later than 60 minutes after the PWO shake. Tupperware is your friend.
    407/40/41/5

Mid Evening Snack-Notice I only take 1 scoop of whey instead of two, the reason or the lower calories
    Protien Shake and 1/2 Cup Oatmeal
    305/29/30/4

Late-Dinner ( Usuallu don't get to eat till after the dinner rush which is around 8-9pm
    9 oz Sirloin
    Sweet Potato
    Asparagus
    645/82/41/19 Hmm, I know I told you to increase the steak but I wasn't thinking straight - reduce this portion back to 6 oz. and add a scoop of casein to snack shake. Evening out protein consumption is best.

Bedtime
    Casein Protien Shake
    Peanut Butter
    450/55/18/19

3247 Total Calories. Is this to much? Not really. Make the deficit with cardio and you'll look better when all is said and done.
    Protien: 359
    Carbs:284 close to 300 Damien
    Fat: 73
    Pre-workout meal needs a change and then some thoughts above but it's a really strong draft.

Thanks for the help. will make adjustments right away.
    Last edited by mns752k1; 11-18-2010 at 10:48 AM.

I see a few issues with the workout, would you mind terribly if I made some suggestions? And, are you considering posting some pics?
    Thanks tbody. suggestions would be great. will try and post pics asap.

Thanks tbody. suggestions would be great. will try and post pics asap.
    I don't see any core lifts for building size and strength, no bench, more shaping/stretching exercises than strength/mass building, no squat and no dead lift, also this is a four day routine, not a five. How do you perform a decline barbell fly? How much weight can you bench, squat and deadlift, if you don't know for sure then guess pretty close. I want to find out your weakest area and give you a five day routine that will bring it up, and probably blow away, the rest of your body. This will also teach you how to train to grow and then we'll change the bodypart focus up. If you are in, I can show you how to put 20 lbs on your core lifts in weeks even with 8 years of lifting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Pre-workout meal needs a change and then some thoughts above but it's a really strong draft.
    Should my post-workout meal consist of more simple carbs?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Should my post-workout meal consist of more simple carbs?
    IMO, absolutely not. Sugar has no place in your diet, at your bodyfat %.

As for everything else, the boys already have you sorted, nothing I need to add here.

I don't see any core lifts for building size and strength, no bench, more shaping/stretching exercises than strength/mass building, no squat and no dead lift, also this is a four day routine, not a five. How do you perform a decline barbell fly? How much weight can you bench, squat and deadlift, if you don't know for sure then guess pretty close. I want to find out your weakest area and give you a five day routine that will bring it up, and probably blow away, the rest of your body. This will also teach you how to train to grow and then we'll change the bodypart focus up. If you are in, I can show you how to put 20 lbs on your core lifts in weeks even with 8 years of lifting experience.
    The closest and most accurate flat bench I've done recently is: Warm-Up with 135lbs 15, than I do 225lbs 8-9 times, than drop weight in the next couple sets to maintain 8 reps. I'd say my max flat bench max is around 300lb right now. My squats are horrible. I do 225lb maybe 6 times. I have deadlifted 315 about 6 times about 2 weeks ago. I got off the heavy lifts and low reps and switch to high reps and little to no rest between sets in attempt to loose some body fat. Thanks for all the help tbody. hope this info helps. let me know if any other info is needed. Oh..My decline flys are with 35 lb dumbells and bring elbows to shoulder height with a barrel hug look. hopefully that made sense.

The closest and most accurate flat bench I've done recently is: Warm-Up with 135lbs 15, than I do 225lbs 8-9 times, than drop weight in the next couple sets to maintain 8 reps. I'd say my max flat bench max is around 300lb right now. My squats are horrible. I do 225lb maybe 6 times. I have deadlifted 315 about 6 times about 2 weeks ago. I got off the heavy lifts and low reps and switch to high reps and little to no rest between sets in attempt to loose some body fat. Thanks for all the help tbody. hope this info helps. let me know if any other info is needed. Oh..My decline flys are with 35 lb dumbells and bring elbows to shoulder height with a barrel hug look. hopefully that made sense.
    I will put you a program together, I was confused about the decline fly because you originally posted it was a barbell fly, you would be a massive individual to need to use barbells to perform flyes, IMO.

Been working out for at least 8 years. On and off throughout. Never really got into it hardcore enough to see my arms grow an inch and my bench incease 20 lbs. Always been pretty bulky cause my diet was always horrible. 30 yrs old now and can't wait all my life to get the body ive always wanted. So im seriously ready mentally. I never really kept a good log throught training but am ready know.

My typical 5 day training week:

Monday-Chest,Biceps
    Incline Bench Press 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Pec Dec 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Decline Barbell Fly 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Push Up 3 sets to Failure
    Preacher Curls 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Alternating Dumbell Curls 4sets 12-15 reps

Tuesday Legs
    Leg extensions 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Leg curls 3 set 12-15 reps
    Barbell Lungs 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Calve raises 3 sets 10-12 reps

Wednesday-Cardio

Thursday- Triceps, Shoulders
    Skullcrushers 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Bentover reverse tricep extensions 3 set 12-15 reps
    Overhead Dumbell Press 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Dumbell reverse fly 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Cable Lateral raise 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Shrugs 3 sets 8-12 reps

Friday-Back
    Reverse Grip Bent over Row 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Seated Cable Row 4 set 12-15 reps
    Hyperextensions 4 set Failure

Sat-Sun- Rest

I try to do Cardio everyday but usually I do 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes after my workouts. Been doing a lot of the HIIT as well maybe 10 minutes after post-workout cardio if i have enough juice left in the tank. I also try to do abs everyday in smaller sets.

Thanks again for all your help its been great support and motivation.
    Interesting... You do more sets for smaller muscles like triceps then you do legs? Can you explain how come you do more sets and less sets in certain areas like legs, arms, back and chest...

I guess i dont' feel i got a pretty productive workout on those mucle so i do and extra rep. The first sets of those are normally warmups were for my legs i do squats and lungs without weights before i lift for my first set. My legs are weak. The weakest of all my muscle groups and the one area i would like to improve besides my chest. I feel very strong in my back, biceps, and triceps but for legs, its the one area i need major improvement on. Thanks guys

I guess i dont' feel i got a pretty productive workout on those mucle so i do and extra rep. The first sets of those are normally warmups were for my legs i do squats and lungs without weights before i lift for my first set. My legs are weak. The weakest of all my muscle groups and the one area i would like to improve besides my chest. I feel very strong in my back, biceps, and triceps but for legs, its the one area i need major improvement on. Thanks guys
    From your lay out you presented you don't even do squats, infact your leg work out is pretty sad... You do a total of 6 sets for quads? Then you do 8 for biceps? And just because you can do more doesn't mean you should. I do maximum 12 sets per muscle group. Look at it this way the smaller the muscle the less sets you'll do.

Note : I do lats 12 sets
    Biceps 7 sets
    Triceps 8 sets
    Chest 9 sets
    Delts 9 sets
    Quads 10 sets
    Traps 7 sets
    Hamstrings 6 sets
    There is an example but you don't have to follow what I have laid out it is simply what works for me you can tweak it to customize you.
    Last edited by Juicedupmonkey; 11-20-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Thread Information