Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    musclestack is offline Productive Member

calorie counter on gym machines

I'm sure this question has been asked before on here, but here goes anyway:

Is the counter on 'amount of calories burned' on the cardio machines at the gym accurate? It seems like they would be close; I was on the bike at number 7 resistance for 45 minutes, and it said that I burned 490 cals. My average heart rate was around 160-165.

In case it matters, my stats are:
    5'9"
    165lbs.
    26yo
    around 14%bf

Just wanted to get you guys' opinion on this.........Thanks!!!

MS

Sorry, just realized I put this in the diet forum. Please move if necessary.

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    I don't think that they're very accurate. If you are really concerned with what you are burning buy yourself a bodybugg. I have one and they're pretty accurate.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I don't think they're WAYY off, like hundreds of calories off, but I don't put much merit in them.

questionrouge is offline Female Member
    I find that machines can 'lie' depending on make/model...it's cool if you're used to one machine and can depend on it the same way you can depend on a scale generally (with a grain of salt and not exclusively), but hard if you're at another gym or something...the easiest way for me is to feel the heat, the rise in internal body temp - that's when I know I'm at peak for fat burning for example...

Thanks for the replies, guys (and girl). Yea, I figured it would be close but not something to solely rely on. Another thing I am concerned about is I've noticed that when I do AM fasted cardio, my heart rate gets substantially higher than when I am not fasted.........does this make sense? On Monday morning, before I ate anything, my heart rate was about 106-165. Then, the past couple of days, when I did cardio in the afternoon, non-fasted, my heart rate was about 145. Do you think the food had an effect on this? It's all I can think of as it's the only variable that was changed. I still sweat the same, and felt that I got just as good of a workout. So what gives??

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Cardio equipment gives a guesstimate of calories based on the average persons weight and the average persons heart rates at certain speeds/effort levels. You will get a mor accurate reading if you can input your height/weight/age into the equipment and wear a heart rate monitor too.

When you are doing fasted cardio in the morning are you taking any stimulant before? Caffeine on an empty stomach should elevate your heart rate more/quicker than taking it on a full stomach.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Cardio equipment gives a guesstimate of calories based on the average persons weight and the average persons heart rates at certain speeds/effort levels. You will get a mor accurate reading if you can input your height/weight/age into the equipment and wear a heart rate monitor too.

When you are doing fasted cardio in the morning are you taking any stimulant before? Caffeine on an empty stomach should elevate your heart rate more/quicker than taking it on a full stomach.
    prob with these is other ppl's and machines can interfer with them, so not accurate

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    prob with these is other ppl's and machines can interfer with them, so not accurate
    as can mobile phones and other electrical equipment!

I wear a polar HRM with watch which does all the calculations and is probably within 5% accurate. Depends how scientific you want to be.

jngymrat is offline Associate Member
    Get a good heart monitor or learn to take it manually yourself, this way you can check your heart rate on your own all day long, at your desk and after you eat, sitting on the couch. Knowing your different heart rates is very beneficial and if you can do simple math you can do it. Heart monitors are great too, but pricey, if you do get the chance to get one I suggest wearing it all day if you can.

Great post.

theeNATURAL is offline New Member
    i was going to purchase a heart rate monitor but i saw a good amount of bad reviews that kinda changed my mind....but can anyone recommend a good heart rate monitor brand or model?....by the way...not trying to hijack...figure this is relevant...

Polar brand are the most accurate. Then it depends what info you need from it but if you only require something really basic with a workout summary then the FS3c should do you.

Thread Information