mufc is offline New Member

TDEE + Bulking diet

So.... I have been bulking since Oct '10 , its all been going well and i have put on a lot of size/strength/weight.

Diet has slipped of late and I seem to be putting on fat, I am not sure of my BF? How can I accurately find this?

Looking to re-tweek diet and cut out bad carbs, TDEE I have calculated at 3270, this is based on the 'Moderate exercise (ex: exercising 3-5 days/week)'. I just wanted to confirm that this was the right choice? I am currently studying at uni and have a part time job, I attend the gym 3-4 days a week depending on work duties *i.e. If working I will train 3 times chest n tris, back n bis and shoulders. If not working I will do arms on a dedicated 4th day. So knowing the given information does that qualify as moderate?

I would say my downfall is consuming the same/imilar level of carbs whether a training day or not. To my knowledge I should be putting on 300 calories on top of my TDEE to bulk, this takes me to 3670, how should this change regarding training days and non training days? Stay consistent throughout? Feedback is greatly appreciated stats are as follows:

203lbs, 18 years, 5ft 11', training for 2 and a half years starting off at 153lbs.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Post up your current diet and let's have a look at what you've been doing. As for bodyfat, get a skin fold caliper measurement done - your gym should be able to do it. Ask for at least a 5 point reading. Also, you can post up some pics of yourself for some close guesstimates.

PS - I HIGHLY doubt your TDEE is over 3000 cals, and this is most likely your problem. Once I know your bodyfat, I can give you a pretty decent starting point for your TDEE.

My TDEE is most definitley over 3000cals, and when I said I dont know my BF I ment the exact percentage, as for guides I can tell u it is easily sub 15%. I will get some pics up and diet 2moz as its late hear in the UK now

Not for nothin', but if your so certain about your TDEE being over 3k, why are you questioning your activity multiplier?

mg0922 is offline Associate Member
    And how come you dont have any leg workouts in that regimen of yours!?!?!?!

I question the TDEE activity because 3700 calories seems quite high for me if I have when I only attend the gym 3 times? And I am certain about it being over 3000 because at 153lbs I used to consume 2800 calories a day with no fat gains at all. As for legs I had to stop playin football/soccer due to a cruciate rupture over a year ago, even though I am now fully recovered I would never risk putting my knees through any sort of strain assocaited with squats etc as I refuse to through that pain/physio again! How do I get pics up guys?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	950.3 KB 
ID:	113636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	811.5 KB 
ID:	113637

Me on bulking, and me at 182lbs during cutting as of June '10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TDEE + Bulking diet-untitled.jpg  
    Last edited by mufc; 01-16-2011 at 05:17 AM.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    In the lower picture, your body fat is closer to 15% than 5% man...

Regardless, what the best guys on here have taught me is that trial and error is key. Track your weight closely with pictures and measurements and take into account things like water retention too when eating a lot of food. Do this in 2-week intervals using a different multiplier or just start lower and up the cals slowly. It takes dedication but this method will teach you your "true" TDEE.

I never claimed my BF% was 5%? Onto what I was mostly trying to get at was my intake during training days and non, and how it shoulder differ

I misread.

It shouldn't differ too much, just don't have the PWO shake obviously and there ya go, that's the difference.

so we are talkin a case of 200cal? I will try 3300cal a day and see how that goes, just starting to reload on cre-mono though so any weight loss will be counteracted by water retention as u mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by mufc View Post
    so we are talkin a case of 200cal? I will try 3300cal a day and see how that goes, just starting to reload on cre-mono though so any weight loss will be counteracted by water retention as u mentioned.
    The water weight from creatine mono is blown so out of proportion. Improper carb manipulation, hydration, and sodium management cause 99% of bloating... When everything else is clean, I doubt you'd notice any water retention with creatine.

jngymrat is offline Associate Member
    Good post,

Thread Information