morado02 is offline Junior Member

What to eat before am wourkout??

Hi guys:

I just want to know about that, since I've read some posts here but there is no a consistency on what people think.
    So id I have to work first thing on the morning, what would it be the best to eat before? assuming there's no much time to play with?
    Do you recommend a complete meal or there's something it might be taken and then eat right after the workout.
    Thanks

MuttonChop is offline Associate Member
    Depends on what exactly you are trying to do. For weight lifting, it is good to have a carb meal + protein shake 30-60 min prior to the workout.

For cardio, a no carb protein shake will do you wonders while trying to cut.

Be more specific for a specific answer as the list goes on.

morado02 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuttonChop View Post
    Depends on what exactly you are trying to do. For weight lifting, it is good to have a carb meal + protein shake 30-60 min prior to the workout.

For cardio, a no carb protein shake will do you wonders while trying to cut.

Be more specific for a specific answer as the list goes on.
    Yes, sorry for that, I meant for lifting no for cardio

And a more specific question is that some people recommend a protein shake, but the question is after the work out should I take it again as it is recommended most of the time? and if so, the next meal (breakfast) should be doing what> 45-60 mins later?

Thanks

Facts that even some vets might forget once in a while: =P

1) Pre-workout protein shakes increases amino acid delivery more than post-workout protein shakes
    Proof: Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206.

Rasmussen BB, Tipton KD, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Wolfe RR. An oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement enhances muscle protein anabolism after resistance exercise. J Appl Physiol. 2000 Feb;88(2):386-92.

What does this mean? Take around 30g to 60g of protein pre-workout depending on LBM.

2) Post workout protein AND Carbs is very important. The Carbs REDUCE protein breakdown while the protein INCREASES protein synthesis.
    Proof: Can't find the study right now, but this is familiar to most

What does it mean? Take another protein shake and also a carb shake (a mass gainer for simplicity) after working out, preferably before 60 min have past. Amounts depend on body mass again, but start with higher end if you arn't sure.

Note: A pre workout meal with protein MIGHT be better for you than a shake.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Not bad information, but not necessarily the right information for you. The best pre-workout meal makes little or no bearing if you are not eating right the rest of the time and is certainly goal dependent. Without your stats and specific goals you can't get the best answer, are you skinny? Are you fat? Do you want to bulk or cut? Are you old or young? Are you an experienced lifter or a rookie? What are your stats? ht/wt/bf%/age exact exercise routine including specific exercises/poundages/sets/reps and how much experience do you have training? Also what does your total diet look like, specifically? What are you exact specific goals and the time line you have to accomplish them?

Also the pre compared to post workout protein drink study didn't compare a pre-workout meal to a drink just the timing of the drink between the two on amino acid delivery. Mostly here you will find that the over-whelming advice is to have all meals be real meals except the post workout meal and Hany Rambod makes his boys do all real meals, no shakes period.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Solid info from Mutton IMO. I worked out first thing in the morning (5:30am) for 2+ years and here's what I always ate:

4:30am - protein blend (30g, WPI, WPC, Casein), 1 whole omega-3 egg, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 cup oats w/ 1/4 cup blueberries.

PWO was 2 scoops protein (usually Myofusion) w/ 1 cup oats, followed by a whole food PWO meal about an hour later.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    Not bad information, but not necessarily the right information for you. The best pre-workout meal makes little or no bearing if you are not eating right the rest of the time and is certainly goal dependent......................................... ......................

Also the pre compared to post workout protein drink study didn't compare a pre-workout meal to a drink just the timing of the drink between the two on amino acid delivery. Mostly here you will find that the over-whelming advice is to have all meals be real meals except the post workout meal and Hany Rambod makes his boys do all real meals, no shakes period.
    I agree. The Pre-workout is useless if the rest of the diet is not in check. The OP was not asking about his general diet though, hence my answer.

And yes, the study had nothing to do with drink vs real meal. I was just trying to make sure that the OP understands the importance of pre-workout protein. A lot of BBers I know only have carbs pre, which is wrong wrong wrong.

But if you are wondering, I personally am one of those new groups of people who believe that a shake isn't that much worse than a meal in terms of anabolic growth. Nutrients, vitamins, etc = meals win hands down. But if the OP is asking about just seeing results, my answer would be: doesn't matter. Do what you feel like doing. If you have the time for a meal, have one for all of its nutrients and fiber and what not. But if you do not care about that, a GOOD!!!! protein shake can/will suffice.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    I know that some have also touted the benefits of some form of an amino acid drink over/during the course of the workout to get some extra protein in there.

Thread Information