mikeyl is offline New Member

Need help refining diet-- all info included in post--

Any insight on diet, workout, etc. Diet=Want to get my meals checked and also think that my intake is screwed up around workout and after workout--- Would like to use whole foods but I do rely on whey a bit.

Height 6'3
    weight 197 Lbs
    12% BF

Picture in avi from November 30-last week. Gone from over 20% to around 12 (my guess). Obviously 197 is lighter than I want to be… I have thin lower body.

Was at 194 when Sgt. Hartman suggested I up the calories to about 500 per meal.
    Meals: This is not exact but what I try to achieve, I measure but I am not precise if running a bit late. I also take scifit creatine and beta alanine 2 times a day as well as a multivitamin
    • Meal 1: 6:30 45 gram protein, 50 gram carbs, 10 gram fat Whey shake or egg whites, Oatmeal and flax seeds
    • Meal 2-4: 2.5-3hrs apart 45 gram protein, 50 gram carbs, 10 gram fat (Protein=Chicken or tuna/ Carbs=barilla plus pasta, sweet potatoes + broccoli, asparagus, salad, etc, Fats- In foods and EVOO 1 TBSP
    • Meal 5 7-7:30 pm: 45Gram Protein, 60 gram carbs, 10 gram fats. Protein, lead beef, chicken,
    • Workout starts at around 9-9:30 pm. Usually 45 minutes of progressive weights, no cardio
    • Post workout: Between 9:45 and 10:15pm , Whey shake (40 grams protein) with 8 oz skim milk and slice whole wheat bread 28 gram carbs
    • Before bed (around 11pm) 1 cup 1% fat cottage cheese. 28 gram protein, 2.5 gram fat, 7 gram sugar
    293 gram protein, 295 carbs, 55g fat ~2850 calories

My goal is lean weight gain—want to get to about 205 by June. I think that by being at only 2100 calories for 3.5 months my body should start to gain a bit easier.
    Will be adding 3 days a week pre-meal cardio in the AM, 30 minutes low-moderate intensity tomorrow.
    Workouts: 2 on 1 off: Most with reps from 4-8, increasing weights and drop sets including frequently
    • Chest and tris: Flat Bench 4-5 sets, increasing, Inclined or declined 3 sets, flys 3 sets, Tri’s- Skull crushers 4 sets, extensions 2-3 sets, dips 2 sets
    • Legs- Squats 5-6 sets, lunges, 3 sets, 2 sets extensions, 2 sets stiff leg deads, 2 set curls. 3-4 sets calfs
    • Back and Bi’s 4 sets chins, 3 sets bent over rows, 3 sets pull downs front, 3 sets shrugs, bi, 4 sets straight or e-z bar curls, 3 sets incline curls, 1-2 sets reverse curls
    • Shoulders, abs and calves-3 sets standing push press, 2 sets dumbbell press, 3 sets narrow grip upright rows, 1 set front raises. 7 minute ab burner workout, same calf workout as on leg day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help refining diet-- all info included in post---ml_3.jpg   Need help refining diet-- all info included in post---zt1.jpg   Need help refining diet-- all info included in post---ml_2.jpg  

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Your shoulders and traps are glaring weak areas, for upper body anyway, based on pics, IMO. I'd make sure to include incline bench on all chest days, and you must be doing your upright rows improperly to have such good progress everywhere else but non-existent in these areas. Describe how you are performing them for me please, also add lateral raises, rear raises and shrugs.

you are spot on with your assessment-- i always just thought it was a physiological thing-

Narrow grip on e-z curl bar- brought to chin in a 2 up 3 down count.

I rarely do rear delt exercises-- traps 3 set medium weight shrugs (70lbs dumbells)

was concerned about over training shoulders but will add those exercises for the next month.. how many sets

I'm okay with your set range 4-5 progessive, up your rep range to 20-25 each set, I like the slow tempo on your rows, but make sure you are doing this: keep the weight in as close to your body as possible on the up and the down, keep your knees bent during the entire exercise to prevent rocking or cheating, pause for a one second rest at the top of the exercise, at the bottom of the exercise stop exactly at your belly button, don't allow the weight to lengthen the arms completely out, this will keep constant tension on the trap and will ignite growth that you will feel. On your very last set when you have performed what you believe to be your last rep then lower the weight to your nipple level and perform reps to failure with a 2 inch range of motion, so, just below the nipple to just above the nipple as fast as you can until you are totally done. I would remove front raises from shoulder day, your bench pressing and incline bench hit the fronts sufficiently and you need to focus on the tops/sides/rears. Do the side raises and rear raises instead, light weight high reps 3 sets super setting them, sides with 10-15 lb dumbbells and rears with 5 lbs. Try implementing these changes starting this week for exactly four weeks and let me know what happens.

so something like this:
    Military press: 3 sets (65,75,85 guess for that many reps) 20-25 reps
    Dumbell Press 2 sets (30lbs, 40) 20-25 reps
    Upright rows 3-4 sets (40-60lbs and your form) 20-25 reps
    Side raise super set with rear 3 sets (15-20 lbs Sides) (5-10 rears)

I will start this on wednesday, my scheduled shoulder day and post the work out and keep it there for at least 4 weeks-- will update photos when done

Drop the dumbbell presses, start with dumbbell shrugs, 3 sets 15-20 reps, go straight up and down pausing at the top and stretching at the bottom (like you are trying to put your shoulders in your ears). Move to heavy barbell shrugs 3 sets of 6-8 reps pausing at the top as well. Then on your military presses go heavy with lower reps, 3 sets 8-12 reps, since you are using a barbell take advantage of being able to go heavier to put on some size. Then rows followed by the raises. I would recommend doing calves and abs between each shoulder exercise before moving to the next shoulder exercise. It should look like this:

Dumbbell shrugs 3 sets, 15-20 reps
    standing calf raises 3 sets, 25 reps
    Barbell shrugs 3 sets, 6-8 reps
    crunches 3 sets, 51 reps
    Military Press 3 sets, 8-12 reps
    toe presses on hip sled/leg press machine 3 sets, 25 reps
    Upright rows 5 sets, 20-25 reps
    Cable crunches 3 sets, 25 reps
    Side raise super set with rear 3 sets (15-20 lbs Sides) (5-10 rears)

really appreciate the time and effort-- thanks again

get some broad shoulders and we'll both be happy!

Thread Information