Thread: Carbs??????

Stakinplates is offline New Member

Carbs??????

So I watched Milos Sarcev "Secret of the Pro's" on Nutrition! And tried to stick with it. I was having about 50 grams of carbs a day and could barely make it thru the day. My protien intake was about 250 grams a day and almost no fat. I was starting to lose my belly fat witch was the main reason I wanted to cut out carbs but it was almost not worth it. I'm 6 feet flat and 178 pounds when I wake up. My question is how do I find a balance I when I can maintain mass and cut my gut out. Ive never had abs even as a wrestler in high school where I weight 150 pounds It's always been a problem for me.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    I've personally never watched the Milo vids, and although I think they're more than likely very informative, there's a time and place for everything. You said it yourself--'secret of the pros', which tells me that this is a pro bodybuilder gearing up immediately before a competition where they want no water weight whatsoever. In a 'normal', more balanced diet, 50 grams of carbs per day is ridiculously low unless you're on keto (which is probably what a pro would do right before competition). Increase your carb intake. Increase your fat too!! I would like to see your diet posted here to see exactly what you're eating. If all you're eating is protein without any fuel/vehicle to deliver that protein (carbs/fats), it's no wonder you're lethargic. Stay on that diet long enough, and you will, no doubt, lose muslce mass.

Post your current diet.

I'm in the military so currently vie been eattin whatever I can vie been out in the desert training for almost a month now I'll be back in action in a week. Before that it looked a little like this

Meal#1 5:30am- 1 whole grain bagle -4 Egg whites - elite gourmet shake. And most likely a cup off coffee if I fel like getting up 10 min earlier to make it

Meal#2 8:30-9- elite gourmet protien shake22g and a handful of carrots or the equivalent in some other form of veggie

work out-11-12:30- jacked pre workout drink 12oz of water.

Meal3 immediately after work out- turkey sandwitch with whole grain bread no condiments just veggies, tomatoes, lettus, onions, I wanna say about 15 g of protien from the turkey. And a salad. I alternate from turkey to chicken and tuna as well but always whole grain wheat.

Meal 4 2-2:30 elite gourmet protien shake 22g protein

Meal 5 5:30- grilled chicken breast with a salad(lettus,onions,tomatoes,some fetta cheese, olives and red lite red wine vinnegrete dressing)

And before bed I'll have a casine shake 20g before bed.

I don't have the macros at this moment in time I'll edit when I get home I just wanted some input on it

Another problem I'm having is that I can barely eat this much food I'm completely stuffed by the end o the day. I love food but I don't wanna eat anything at the end of the day(wich is usually my sides cooking witch doesn't make her very happy lol)is there a way I can eat less and still maintain myself. I just don't feel good when I eat like this but it's how everyone says to eat so I'm trying it. I'm pretty sure I'm missing some stuff in there but like I said I don't have acces to all my notes at home.

Please excuse any spelling and grammar mistakes I'm doing this on my iPhone in the middle of 29 palms
    Last edited by Stakinplates; 04-24-2011 at 04:39 PM.

strong_web is offline Associate Member
    Dude, not sure what kind of food they got there, but theirs room for lots of improvment.

Losing weight and trying to get cut, take the bagel and bread out and eat the meat, maybe in the salad, meal 5 Feta not good.
    I am on the same path trying to lose the gut, and its hard but one thing you don't want is bread..... and try to get green veggies.

and for a 6ft man, I would think you could eat more then that, beening out in the hot air, training in a camp for military?

And get up for that coffee, Its key in my day.

I'm not really trying to lose weight just eat clean while I lift heavy so I don't put on too much bf. And for the food they have here I've been eatting mre's all the time which is just pre packaged nastyness and I'm constantly missing meals and living of rockstars and monsters cuz we are on the move the whole time. I'll be home in a week and thats when I will be getting back on my diet. I'm also about to do my first run of test for 12 weeks when I get back as well so my diet is gunna be simmilar to what I posted above but more carbs and calories

Well rockstar drink aren't to great either, but I say let the pro take it, and I gave you my input, But I would wait till you got back home and maybe work on your diet then when you can get back home you will have better source of food, But good to start now, so you will know what you need when your back home.

MJRuff01 is offline Junior Member
    If you are in the military and training out in the desert you really, really do not want to cut your carbs. Just cut out the simple sugars, but absolutely eat rice (brown if you can get it) potato's, whole grains, etc... Cutting out your carbs will make you more susceptible to dehydration, and it will affect your performance. In your situation you need to eat and train for performance first, and appearance second.

Go for oats!! for grains, bread got to much starch, from what I know!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Stakinplates View Post
    So I watched Milos Sarcev "Secret of the Pro's" on Nutrition! And tried to stick with it. I was having about 50 grams of carbs a day and could barely make it thru the day. My protien intake was about 250 grams a day and almost no fat. I was starting to lose my belly fat witch was the main reason I wanted to cut out carbs but it was almost not worth it. I'm 6 feet flat and 178 pounds when I wake up. My question is how do I find a balance I when I can maintain mass and cut my gut out. Ive never had abs even as a wrestler in high school where I weight 150 pounds It's always been a problem for me.
    It's no wonder you could barely make it through the day.... 50g of carbs and almost no fats... you were starving your body of energy and it was compensating for that by slowing your metabolism, tearing down muscle to be used as energy, and converting dietary protein to be used as energy (not an efficient process).

Do you know your current BF%? I would imagine at 6ft 178lbs it's pretty low, unless you have very little LBM. Post up a few pics if you don't know and we can take an educated guess. It will help us determine a good caloric range for you.

Keep carbs focused around your workout (pre and post) and first meal of the day if you'd like. Fats in your non-carb meals, lean protein source in EVERY meal.

I don't really know how to post pics on here with my phone I can try when I get home but I'm at 12% according to the military they just tape your neck and waist which is probably pretty inaccurate. I really don't have much fat on me accept around my stomach a little bit

So around how many carbs should I be having. I'm pretty active at work everyday usually on my feet all day walking around.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have developped some allergies to carbs, mostlty wheat, gluten, and whole grain, in other term i had no choice to switch to a high protein high fat minumal carb diet. I still eat frozen berries and do a few carb ups a week. I noticed that i feel a lot better, and my total carb intake is less then 30g per day at some point. The body needs to adapt to the new food intake. You need to give it time, and low carbing is not as easy as it sounds, you can get some pertty unpleasant effect the first few days when you reach ketosis.

I really want to stick with the low carb but it's killing my workouts. How do you sub fats instead of carbs

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    What do you mean how?

Like 1gm of carbs = to how many fat gm's if you know what I mean. Let's say I normally eat 200 grams of carbs how much fat would replace that amount.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    there are 4 calories in a carb and 9 in fat. So fat has just over double the cal of a carb. So in your example, just under 100g of fat.
    Last edited by Nephets; 04-24-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Buddhabody is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I watched part 1 of Milo's video and right at the beginning it states that "carbs and fats" are what the body uses for energy. I'm new to the strict diet world but I usually try to stay in the range of 150-200 net carbs a day, and so far it has worked. I usually have about 49g carbs pre workout and 1 cup of oats in a protein shake post workout. Then a short time later, I'll have some green veggies and brown rice. So, my carbs usually are consumed pre-workout, post workout shake and post workout meal. Running on 50g carbs, will do more harm then good..............Good luck to you........

Thanks guys when I get home I'll bump up my carb intake and see how it goes

Thread Information