Christopher_UK is offline Junior Member

Question A question about crunching the numbers for a new diet

Hi there, please can you explain to me how to workout how much protein/carbs/fat/calories to put in someone's diet...this isnt for me, its for a friend...you guys helped me the other day with making a new cutting diet which I really appretiate.

Someone on this forum explained the other day how to work it all out but I cant find the post.

So if someone is bulking and their split is 45/40/15, and they're 6,2 and 14 stone at 10% bodyfat, how do you workout how much they need of each?

I know for protein you do bodyweight x 1.5 which would mean he needs 294 grams of protein, but not sure about carbs and fat?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Christopher_UK; 04-30-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Gucks is offline Member
    ye, 1.5 x bw in ibs is good for protein, for carbs it really does depend on the person alot. anywhere from 1:1 carbs to protein ratio to 2:1 ratio can work for people, i would say 300g protein with 400-450g carbs would be good just guessing without knowing much about ur m8. fats just stick with 70-75g. u can get away with more but u wont ever need more then 75g.

Cheers for your reply, but I was kinda hoping someone would reply with the maths that I saw the other day. The reason I want to know the maths is so I can work it out myself for any weight....it seems there a set rule that most people use to work out 45/40/15...but I cant remember what it was...

It's like for me, I'm not good at maths so if someone said use 45/40/15 I cant work out how to crunch the numbers for that? Because what number are we starting with, 100% of what? so how can I work out what 45% of something is, if I dont know the starting number, same with 40% and 15%?

Do you see what I'm saying?

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Don't just base your diet off how much protein you think you should be taking in, go with your daily calorie expenditure.

The Harris-Benedict formula calculates BMR based on total body weight

BMR:

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

Then, using the BMR, the TDEE is calculated...using an activity multiplier:

Activity Multiplier:

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training)

or

The Katch-McArdle formula calculates BMR based on lean body weight.

BMR:

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Then, using the BMR, TDEE is calculated using the activity multiplier:

Activity Multiplier:

Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training)

One of these two ways should give you a rough idea of your TDEE. Don't knock fat, you need it to grow. Just stick with 40/40/20 for now, it's pretty basic. Get in a good routine and and tweak it from there after you see how you respond to it. Increase your calorie intake by about 15-20%, post up a diet when you work it all out. Hope this all helps you get started!
    Last edited by LatissimusaurousRex; 04-30-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    Don't just base your diet off how much protein you think you should be taking in, go with your daily calorie expenditure.

The Harris-Benedict formula calculates BMR based on total body weight

BMR:

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

Then, using the BMR, the TDEE is calculated...using an activity multiplier:

Activity Multiplier:

or

The Katch-McArdle formula calculates BMR based on lean body weight.

BMR:

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Then, using the BMR, TDEE is calculated using the activity multiplier:

Activity Multiplier:

One of these two ways should give you a rough idea of your TDEE. Don't knock fat, you need it to grow. Just stick with 40/40/20 for now, it's pretty basic. Get in a good routine and and tweak it from there after you see how you respond to it. Increase your calorie intake by about 15-20%, post up a diet when you work it all out. Hope this all helps you get started!
    I appretiate your reply, but I didnt make this post for me, I already have a cutting diet. I made this post because I have two friends, one fat, one thin, one asked me to make them a bulking diet, and the other asked me to make him a cutting diet.

Also what you wrote is a bit too complicated for me mate, my maths sucks, I was lucky to graduate high school...for real! lol

I just want someone to explain to me how do I work out what 45% protein, 40% carbs, 15% fat is? Someone explained the other day in another post, and I wished I had copied it down, it was so simple...now I cant find the post

Do I just workout how many calories they need to bulk or cut first? so if my friend needs 4000 calories to bulk, does the 45/40/15 mean I workout 45% of 4000, 40% of 4000, and 15% of 4000? is that how I do it? And if thats correct, then how do I workout how much calories they need to bulk or cut?

And for my other friend who wants to cut, if he only needs 3000 calories, do the same, workout 40% of 3000 for protein, and so on...?

The one who wants to bulk is 6,2, 14 stone, 10% bodyfat....the one who wants to cut is 5,10, 17 stone, and 25% bodyfat.
    Last edited by Christopher_UK; 04-30-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_UK View Post
    I appretiate your reply, but I didnt make this post for me, I already have a cutting diet. I made this post because I have two friends, one fat, one thin, one asked me to make them a bulking diet, and the other asked me to make him a cutting diet.

Also what you wrote is a bit too complicated for me mate, my maths sucks, I was lucky to graduate high school...for real! lol

I just want someone to explain to me how do I work out what 45% protein, 40% carbs, 15% fat is? Someone explained the other day in another post, and I wished I had copied it down, it was so simple...now I cant find the post

Do I just workout how many calories they need to bulk or cut first? so if my friend needs 4000 calories to bulk, does the 45/40/15 mean I workout 45% of 4000, 40% of 4000, and 15% of 4000? is that how I do it? And if thats correct, then how do I workout how much calories they need to bulk or cut?

And for my other friend who wants to cut, if he only needs 3000 calories, do the same, workout 40% of 3000 for protein, and so on...?

The one who wants to bulk is 6,2, 14 stone, 10% bodyfat....the one who wants to cut is 5,10, 17 stone, and 25% bodyfat.
    Step 1 to a better body: Learn simple math.

Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    Step 1 to a better body: Learn simple math.
    Am not being funny but you just ignored every question I just wrote to tell me to go and learn maths, I think it was a waste of time you writing that. My maths is bad but I think I am able to communicate quite well with my english. Besides most of the numbers I've been working out over past few days has been percentages, and I'm ok with working out percentages.

The information you wrote above ^ ^ ^ I think would confuse most people who have never seen it before...

example "Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)"...What??? what does 66 mean, what is 13.7, where do all these numbers come from, you copy and paste me all this text with no explanation as to what it all means and yet I'm meant to try and work all this out, crunch some numbers and come up with usable numbers to work with? ....hmmm oh k.

I've asked one question like 10x throughout this post, if anyone reads this sentance please can you answer one simple question...how do I workout 45/40/15?

Thanks in advance.

45% Protein = (Total Calories x .45)/4 = grams of protein, 40% Carbs = (Total Calories x .40)/4 = grams of carbs, 15% Fat = (Total Calories x .15)/9 = grams of fat

...and allow me to educate you some. Yes, I didn't tell you exactly what all these numbers meant and off hand I don't even know, however, that's not necessary to still be able to use the formula. I'm gonna make an assumption right now... this isn't the FIRST time you've used the internet. Why wouldn't you just do something like copy "The Katch-McArdle formula" from my text paste it in the search engine and find out? You don't want to do any research, you don't want to do math, you just want someone to do all this work for you. How bout I fly over there and feed you too? What I gave you was a very useful piece of information and maybe when you learn more you will refer back to it. Instead of getting a smart ass attitude cause you're too lazy to do a little work to BETTER reach your goal, or your friends goal, or whatever, you could be a little more appreciative. I'm not trying to offend you, and I know I'm probably coming off as pretty douche-y (and I apologize), but you're getting more help than what you initially asked for whether you realize it or not.

Look, if your not happy because I pointed out how rude you was being, just deal with it, but dont try and make out like I'm being funny with you, you turned the topic sour when you wrote "Step 1 to a better body: Learn simple math."...

You don't know me, you don't know how much I've been reading about nutrition etc, I've been learning about nutrition for over a year now and I've been training for almost 4 years, I do work pretty hard at this, and I've been posting on this forum for past week now to get help/critique on a cutting diet, my cutting diet is complete and I started it yesterday.

I made this post to help out two friends who both want me to write them up a cutting diet and a bulking diet, I wanted to know one thing, how to work out 45/40/15...they arent as hardcore as us, and they just want me to write them up these diets, they might not even stick to it, and am not about to put 50x hours of work/effort into their diets for them, because I'm already doing enough...so I thought if I posted on this forum I could get a quick answer to one question...10 post later and I've only just got the answer from you above when you wrote "45% Protein = (Total Calories x .45)/4 = grams of protein, 40% Carbs = (Total Calories x .40)/4 = grams of carbs, 15% Fat = (Total Calories x .15)/9 = grams of fat" which I appretiate...but I feel like your the one that got funny with me and there is no need for it.

You dont know me, and you dont know how much effort/research I do, I actually spend hours everyday reading and researching into nutrition, because I find the subject interesting and I'm trying to achieve something with my body.

Your first reply didnt answer my question or give me the information I was looking for, so why would I search the internet trying to figure it out, that doesnt make sense. All I wanted to know was how to workout 45/40/15 so I can write up a quick diet for both my friends.

Jonesyy is offline Junior Member
    Alright guys this is getting a little sour over nothing I think. Latiss shouldn't have been sarcastic but the best reply is one with maturity I'm sure you know that.

I don't think I am the most knowledgeable guy here but I just worked out my bulking diet from scratch. Since you're from Leeds (like me) have a look and I hope it helps, I've tried to make it as detailed and comprehensive as I can but I am waiting for a reply.

Things you need to really ask are whether he is endomorphic (easily puts on the weight) ectomorphic (hardgainer) or mesomorphic (I think, but puts on muscle easily). I'm going to assume he puts it on quite well and is therefore, endomorphic. Because I am ectomorphic, my diet should give you the good ideas on how to make your friends but you should knock the protein up to about 400-500 and cut the carbs down to around 100-250 (and only the ones that are essential, say, during morning or pre/post-workout).

So you have all the protein you need and he would be getting about 1600 calories from protein. Then you have another 800 from carbs and the essential fats. Overall it should end up just under 3000 cals and if that isn't enough just boost the carbs up but protein should be around optimal.

I hope that helped!
    Last edited by Jonesyy; 04-30-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Well the direct answer I gave you also involved simple math, so you may notice my sarcastic answer wasn't so sarcastic as it was straight to the point, however, if you'd like i can e-mail you a spreadsheet with all the formulas worked in to it so it's less work, it uses openoffice software which is free to d/l, it's very convenient when making a diet.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Enough with all the horsesh!t! Here's what I do. It's not right or wrong, it's simply what I do.

Firstly, you'll want to figure out the individual's maintenance calories. This is the amount of calories this person needs to consume in a day where he will neither gain nor lose weight. The formula's Latiss posted are definitely a popular way to figure this out, however there is a much more simple formula, and IMO it comes out closer than the complicated ones more often than not. It is:

LBM x 15 = maintenance

This means - LEAN BODY MASS x 15 = Maintenance (calories)

The catch here is you're required to know what this persons lean body mass is. Lean body mass is the persons total weight minus his bodyfat. So? You need to know his bodyfat. You can either do a caliper reading (have it done at a gym), or post up some pics here for a decent guesstimate.

Let's say your friend is 200lbs with 20% bodyfat. To figure out his bodyfat in pounds, the formula is 200 x .20 = 40

So he has 40lbs of bodyfat. 200 (total bodyweight) - 40 (total bodyfat) = 160. So his lean body mass is 160.

Remember our formula, lbm x 15 = maintenance? Now we can use it to figure out his maintenance calories:

160 x 15 = 2400

Based on this formula, his maintenance calories are 2400. Keep in mind this is far from scientific and will no doubt require some tweaking based on close monitoring of progress (or lack thereof).

Now you have to adjust that number depending on the goal. Your 200lb friend with 20% bodyfat is obviously pretty fat, so he wants to reduce bodyfat.

I'd start him at 2000 calories/day and monitor his progress closely. Now we have a total number (2000) and can start filling in the macros.

Personally, I like to start with protein - generally 1.5g per lb of LBM (not total bodyweight, although the difference won't be groundbreaking).

160 (lean body mass of your friend) x 1.5g protein = 240g protein. I'd bump it right up to 250g for a nice even number. 250g protein = 1000 calories.

We now have 1000 calories left to fill in with carbs and fats. This part really is subjective and dependent on which direction you want to take. Maybe you want him running a lower carb diet, say 150g/day. That's 600 calories, leaving 400 to fill in with fat. 400 divided by 9 (9 caloires per gram of fat) = 45 (rounded up). Now we have:

250g protein
    150g carbs
    45g fat

2000 calorie diet

Hope this helps

Thread Information