scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer

My new favorite fat source, shelled hemp seeds

Ok I've added this to my diet so i figured I'd share with you guys.

Raw shelled hemp seeds are 33% protien the remaining 66% is composed mostly of healthy fats (more to come on that)

Per 3 TBSP serving of shelled hemp seeds
    11g protien
    13.5 grams fat
    7.5g omega-6 LA
    3.0g omega-3 ALA
    .6g Omega6 GLA
    .3g Omega3 SDA
    2g carbs
    1g fiber
    less than one gram sugars
    Also these percentages of the RDA of the following nutrients
    iron 16%
    Phosphorous 48%
    Zinc 23%
    Magnesium 48%

They taste great in my PWO shake or just eaten raw with my pre-sleep meal

Downfall is price, like all specific health foods hemp seeds are expensive expect to pay about $1 per serving, but if you've got the cash to spend its a worthy addition to anyones diet IMHO.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Good info to know, thanks Scotty! Any idea on whether that's a complete protein or not? Probably not, but worth asking.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    These are great. My fiber supplement is ground hemp with psyllium husk. Pricey but much, much better than the usual stuff. Plus, all that protein/EFAs.

i'm guessing not, but i'm gonna do more research and let ya know!

Ok heres something i found posted by hemp protien advocates, So take it with a grain of salt since its a hemp vs whey comparison.

Hemp Protein vs. Whey Protein Powder
    Posted by Hemp Protein in Bodybuilding and Fitness
    One question often asked is how Hemp Protein holds up against the hundreds of whey protein powder supplements on the market. We’re told whey is time-tested, approved, it works, so why move to anything else? If you’re getting results with one kind of protein, why make the move to hemp and run the risk of diminishing your workout results? There are lots of reasons to consider hemp protein as an alternative to whey protein.

In fact, I would like to argue that moving to hemp protein is one of the best things you can do for your overall health if you’re currently taking whey protein supplements.

Summary:
    Whey protein is an affordable, abundant protein source sold in giant colorful tubs in every health food store, featuring serious-looking muscle bound men and women or featuring some flashy “science” art. Whey has been touted as the best protein source for athletes, bodybuilders, and there is definitely no shortage of brands, flavors, types, and claims on these food supplements.

However, whey protein is by far not the most efficient and effective protein source. In fact, more recent studies have shown that consuming large amounts of whey protein (which is recommended during training) is not readily digestible by the human body and can create bloating and increase your waistline. The more you consume, the more it will build up. You’ll find that most people you talk to have differing opinions about Whey.

Also, many whey protein supplements are loaded with artificial flavors and sweeteners to cover up the natural taste, adding more unnatural chemicals to your body in bulk quantities.

With any training regimen, more is not always the best – in fact, more efficient proteins and proteins with the right amount of amino acids and essential fatty acids is going to get you much further without the bloating and artificial sweeteners that most Whey protein sources are going to give you.

Look, our bodies are designed over 200,000 years to digest whole NATURAL foods from the Earth – and not the synthetic, processed, or artificial proteins and flavors designed in labs. Since protein supplements are considered a “food” they are not managed by the FDA and therefore can make any claims they want about the benefits of using their products. Any “science” is applied a measure and then used to market them, even if the claims are weak at best for overall health.

Shouldn’t you treat your body with adequate supply of soluble, digestable protein from whole foods like all natural hemp? Your body deserves nothing less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hemp Protein Powder

Pros:

You’ll need less: Since there are no fillers and additives and it provides the 8 essential amino acids and fatty acids, you’ll need much less hemp protein than whey protein for equal benefit.
    It’s more soluble: Hemp protein won’t sludge your system, bloat you, or make you feel uncomfortable. Your body can immediately recognize and digest natural, whole hemp protein.
    Fiber Content: Hemp protein contains fiber, and some supplements (such as Manitoba Harvest and Nutiva) have hemp protein powders with even more natural fiber to aid in digestion. Natural hemp also has friendly bacteria that aid in digestion – decreasing bloating to keep you looking lean. Each serving of hemp protein gives you 1/3 your daily value of fiber.
    It’s organic whole food, non-GMO with complete proteins: You’re digesting the same nutrition that the human body has recognized for those 200,000 years, all the way back down the food chain.
    Bad Breath: You’ll have less bad breath that many of the whey counterparts give you, either due to their Dairy content or the artificial additives that give you nasty burps or smelly breath while you’re working out, or even through the night.
    Plant-Based Protein: Hemp seed protein has natural plant chlorophyll and alkalizes to maintain Ph balance in your body. It’s also loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
    Cons:

Taste: If you’re used to sweetened protein powders, you may find the nutty plant
    flavor of organic hempseed protein a bit of a shock. Nutiva makes natural flavored hemp shapes now that make the taste better, and you can also make your own hemp shake recipes.
    Cost: It is more expensive than its whey counterparts. Whey protein is clearly much cheaper.
    Shelf Life: As soon as you open it, dig in. Since its straight organic protein, you’ll want to take it down before the product goes stale and diminishes its health benefits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Whey Protein Powder

Pros:

It’s cheap: Whey protein is a cheap option and the market is highly competitive, so there’s no shortage of inexpensive whey.
    It’s widely available: walk into any health food store and you’ll find tub after tub of options in Whey protein. Which ones are the best? If you can find them, the ones that contain as whole protein as possible and no artificial flavorings or sweeteners.
    Heavily Researched: Without entirely dogging Whey protein, there is a lot of research to back up the benefits of Whey protein that work. So, do your research before purchasing any Whey supplements.
    Cons:

Heavily processsed: Most whey protein products you’ll find are heavily processed proteins to make them cheaper, more attractive, longer shelf life, and taste better.
    Less Absorption: Whey proteins will generally have less absorption than hemp protein.
    Bloating: For many people, ingesting bulk quantities of whey protein can cause bloating, gas, and loss of appetite.
    You’ll take more: There’s a reason why Whey Protein is sold in giant tubs – often, you’re taking in huge scoops daily. Keep in mind that taking “More” is not always better if its not absoring as quickly.
    In conclusion, for weightlifters:

If you’re currently taking Whey protein for bodybuilding, I challenge you to try hemp protein. If you’ve pleateaued and you’ve already changed up your workout and remain on the same diet, I highly recommend seeing if Hemp Protein powder is the answer you need to continue seeing results.

I would recommend the hemp protein by Manitoba Harvest for bodybuilding, since it contains the MOST Omega 3′s and Omega 6′s along with a full 15g of soluble plant protein every serving. See our Hemp Protein Powder Comparison for a full comparison and best prices on Hemp Protein.

As fat as my understanding of essential amino acids there are 10 which makes Hemp an incomplete protien since it only has 8.

If memory recals correctly soy protien is deficient in more essential amino acids, So while i'd consider it supperior to soy protien I wouldn't say its better than whey

Lewis01 is offline New Member
    Hemp products are found to be of great help in keeping oneself fit and it also helps in the overall development of the body. So, if you are planning to get hemp products then do search for the products online as that may help you to get good deals and save in the long run.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    correct me if i am wrong but isn't hemp seeds the same as cannabis seeds?? don't they charge like a few bucks per seed in head shops for those?? i'm a bit lost here

dirtybrd is offline Associate Member
    Be careful eats any kind of nuts a t before bed. If you dont chew them really good they will pack in your colon and cause cancer. My best friend lost his uncer to it, he ate nuts every night before bed

clemont51 is offline Banned
    Very informative thread. I suggest googling THC products in treatment of skin cancers etc. Might be
    the best health food ever. Check "hemp oil".

Thread Information