RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!

any physiologists on board? questions about blood ph, asthma, and lactic acid

i have asthma and am wondering how this effects lactic acid. i know that with me being an asthmatic that my body may be a little more acidic than the normal person. i know that the respiratory system(CO2) directly effects other systems and that is why i am burning out/ hitting the lactate wall, quicker than i would like to. i am training at different heart rates so i am trying to attack the lactate barrier by that type of training. is there any way to make your body or blood more alkaline, hopefully prolonging lactic acid production?

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    I have no idea...but I bet the HRT section might help some with this too....
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

thanks, i didn't really know which section it should go in.

PK-V is offline Productive Member
    were you training before you had asthma?

if not then how do you know your blood is more acidic than everyone else?

sometimes knowing less is better

bicarbonate of soda (pre-workou) can buffer blood lactate levels

go on the alkaline diet and see if it improves

klitch is offline New Member
    Your body using lactate to oxidise to pyruvate --> acetyl-CoA --> Citric Acid Cycle for ATP, your bdy converts excess lactate during the "oxygen debt" period.

You shouldn't be more acidic, your body homestatically controls around a set pH via chemoreceptors in the medulla. If your asthma is playing up, seek a physician and readjust your meds, do you use a corticosteroid inhaler? You can try taking a puff of B2-agonist (salbutamol etc) before your session, otherwise its most likely mental.

yes, i use a corticosteroid inhaler, and that is what i do before sessions. i have had asthma all my life, actually better now than it was in the past. my asthma is triggered by allergens and sometimes exercise induced, but mainly just allergies. i will have to look up the alkaline diet and see what research suggests. i have heard of the paleo-diet being somewhat of an alkaline diet. i may have to look into it and try something new to see how my body reacts. thanks to all that replied.

Are you taking the steroid inhaler pre training? If so you should be using the other one. Perhaps try increasing your lactate threshold, interval training, max effort training.

yeah klitch, taking it about 15-20 min pre-workout. and your right, i will start doing some more interval training and i need to push myself a lil harder. thanks bro

I'm still confused which inhaler your using before working out, you should have two?

I'm currently trying to complete 50 burpees in five minutes, I started with three sets of one then add one every workout, currently 3x19 at a sub 3's per rep pace. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by klitch View Post
    I'm still confused which inhaler your using before working out, you should have two?

I'm currently trying to complete 50 burpees in five minutes, I started with three sets of one then add one every workout, currently 3x19 at a sub 3's per rep pace. Just an idea.
    i have an albuterol sulfate inhaler. i got off of the long acting one, advair. i do not use it on an everyday basis, just when i feel like i need it. i am currently looking into crossfit routines and ones similar to what you have above to help this problem.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    You might even try the blood test section... some knowledgeable people over there.

thanks G, didn't even think of that.

Thread Information