boxer08 is offline Senior Member

Diet for weight loss/mantain muscle. Need help

Due to a injury i couldn't train for 8 weeks, trust it to happen just before summer. Before i stopped i was 266 pounds, not in exellent shape but alot better than i am now. At the moment im 274.4 pounds and don't feel to good at all, infact ill. Ive wrote out my new diet which i intend to lose weight but mantain as much muscle as possible...target weight overall is 224 pounds. The second diet is what i was eating -

Meal 1 -150g oats made with water/chopped bannana, 1 scoop of whey

Meal 2 -150g white rice, 100g of chicken, veg

Meal 3 -150g white pasta, tin tuna, sweetcorn

Post workout - 1 scoop whey

Meal 4 -150g white rice, chicken or pork chops, veg

Meal 5 -4 whole eggs

I plan to decrease the carbs as my weight goes down and up the protein. If anyone thinks that the diet is wrong and could be better, could you point me in the right direction please. I aint going to be using no supplements, or anything to help me, just diet and cardio.

Here is what i was eating -

Meal 1 -200g of oats with milk, 1 scoop of whey

Meal 2 -200g white rice, 150g chicken

Meal 3 -200g white rice, 1 tin tuna

post workout -1 scoop whey

Meal 4 -200g pasta, tin tuna

Meal 5 -6 whole eggs

Basically the same as my planned diet just the first is less. All criticism welcome.

I train monday,tuesday thursday,friday and each session lasts for 1.15 - 1.30 then i have a shake and do cardio for 20 mins. The session is so long because there is a 4 of us.

Just to note im also on the medication mirtazapine 45mg before bed. Im going to go to my G.P tomorrow and ask him to take me off them.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxer08 View Post
    Due to a injury i couldn't train for 8 weeks, trust it to happen just before summer. Before i stopped i was 266 pounds, not in exellent shape but alot better than i am now. At the moment im 274.4 pounds and don't feel to good at all, infact ill. Ive wrote out my new diet which i intend to lose weight but mantain as much muscle as possible...target weight overall is 224 pounds. The second diet is what i was eating -

Whey is nice to have right in the morning to get some quick protein in after being in a fasted state all night, but it would be nice to see some real food protein source here as well. Perhaps 1 or 2 whole eggs with some whites?

Meal 2 -150g white rice, 100g of chicken, veg
    When I am on a cut, I keep all carbs at breakfast and pre/post workout. All the rest of my meals are protein with some healthy fats. Furthermore, a lot of people are not going to the like the idea of having white rice since it's a bit higher on the GI scale than brown rice and lacking nutrients that brown rice will provide. I hate brown rice and, to tell you the truth, when I bulk, I eat white rice as well. I don't have this problem with cutting because I never eat rice while on a cut; oats are the only carb source I eat when trying to trim bf. What kind of veg is this here?

Same as above. If you want to keep carbs here, it is widely recommended to switch to whole wheat pasta.

Protein only meals are a no no, and since this is pwo, go with some complex carbs here. Many find it convenient to just add some oats to their whey shake.

Meal 4 -150g white rice, chicken or pork chops, veg
    Pork is a poor choice of protein and too fatty. Keep the chicken. Again, if you WANT to keep carbs here (which I wouldn't), probably better to make it brown rice instead.

Meal 5 -4 whole eggs
    Eggs aren't the best choice right before bed as they are very quickly absorbed, and you'll want something more substantial to hold you over until morning. Furthermore, 4 whole eggs is over 20 grams of fat in one sitting, which is quite a bit. You didn't list your complete stats, so it's hard saying, but I'm willing to bet that you don't need that much here. I would totally scrap this meal and replace it with something like lean beef or salmon.

I plan to decrease the carbs as my weight goes down and up the protein. Decreasing via carbs as your body composition changes is generally a good rule of thumb, but I see no need to change protein intake. When I cut, I stick somewhere between 1.5 and 2 grams of protein per pound of lbm. If anyone thinks that the diet is wrong and could be better, could you point me in the right direction please. I aint going to be using no supplements, or anything to help me, just diet and cardio.

Here is what i was eating -

Meal 1 -200g of oats with milk, 1 scoop of whey

Meal 2 -200g white rice, 150g chicken

Meal 3 -200g white rice, 1 tin tuna

post workout -1 scoop whey

Meal 4 -200g pasta, tin tuna

Meal 5 -6 whole eggs

Basically the same as my planned diet just the first is less. All criticism welcome.

I train monday,tuesday thursday,friday and each session lasts for 1.15 - 1.30 then i have a shake and do cardio for 20 mins. What exactly do you do for cardio? How intense is it? The session is so long because there is a 4 of us. Some peope find it nice to workout with others, but I would personally not wait too long in between sets with the goals you're after. If you feel you're not getting a good workout, then I would reconsider training in a large group.
    What's your estimated bf%, height, and age? All of these will factor in when it comes to coming up with a proper diet for yourself. You will need to post the macros for each of the meals above (protein, carbs, fats, cals), along with the daily totals for anyone to give you the help you need. For now, I just made some notes. Come back with the information I asked for, and I, or someone else will help you out. Good luck with your goals!

Thanks for the reply and help. Here is the the marcos and my stats -

Cals -657.7 carb-121.8 sugar-17.4 protein-41.5 fat-13.6 sat-3.2

Meal 2 -150g white rice, 100g of chicken, broccoli
    Cals-667.5 carb-124 sugar-0 protein-34.9 fat-3.7 sat-0.5

Cals-772.5 carb-132.2 sugar-14.5 protein-47.2 fat-5.7 sat-0.7

Cals-132 carb-4.2 sugar-1.1 protein-24 fat-1 sat-0.6

Meal 4 -150g white rice, chicken, broccoli
    Same as meal 2

Meal 5 -4 whole eggs
    Cals-400 carb-0 sugar-0 protein-34 fat-29.2 sat-8.4

Total -
    Cals - 3296.5
    Carbs - 626
    Sugar - 33
    Protein - 216.5
    Fat - 56.9
    Sat - 13.9

Stats

Age - 22
    Height - 6'2
    Weight - 274.4
    B/f - im guessing around 25-30
    Years training - 10

My carbs still seem high to me, should i drop the servings down to 100g per meal and up the protein a little. Should there be more fat in the diet?

bump

Gucks is offline Member
    My carbs still seem high to me, should i drop the servings down to 100g per meal and up the protein a little. Should there be more fat in the diet?
    those carbs are WAY to high for lossing fat man! and ur protein isnt high enough for a guy ur size.

Gucks is offline Member
    Thanks for the reply and help. Here is the the marcos and my stats -

Cals -657.7 carb-121.8 sugar-17.4 protein-41.5 fat-13.6 sat-3.2 drop those oats to 100g.

Meal 2 -150g white rice, 100g of chicken, broccoli
    Cals-667.5 carb-124 sugar-0 protein-34.9 fat-3.7 sat-0.5 raw weight 4 rice? i would guess so. drop to 50g raw weight man!

Cals-772.5 carb-132.2 sugar-14.5 protein-47.2 fat-5.7 sat-0.7 again, drop to 50g pasta.

Cals-132 carb-4.2 sugar-1.1 protein-24 fat-1 sat-0.6 no carbs PWO? have some oats in your shake. 50g would be enough. another scoop of whey aswell. ur a big guy!

Meal 4 -150g white rice, chicken, broccoli
    Same as meal 2 same changes as b4

Meal 5 -4 whole eggs
    Cals-400 carb-0 sugar-0 protein-34 fat-29.2 sat-8.4 eggs are a pretty fast absorbing protein source. not ideal for b4 bed. beef/cottage cheese/casein are much better. have an EFA if u change ur protien source.

Total -
    Cals - 3296.5
    Carbs - 626 way to high! if ur looking to cut then drop to about 200g-ish
    Sugar - 33
    Protein - 216.5 need to get that up to at least 300g-350g
    Fat - 56.9 pretty good fats.
    Sat - 13.9

Stats

Age - 22
    Height - 6'2
    Weight - 274.4
    B/f - im guessing around 25-30 really need to get that down!
    Years training - 10
    in bold

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Agree with Gucks as far as getting the carbs down. Although, I would actually like to see a bit more pro/fat meals in there and keep pro/carb meals at breakfast and around training. You have plenty of advice/suggestions in order to get you started. See how it goes for you, and make adjustments here and there to fine tune. Best of luck to you!

Iv'e changed the diet around that's in the cutting stickcy to suit me on the diet forum and am only going to be taking in carbs at breakfast time and after training. Iv'e also upped the protein and added good fats. My carbs are only 260g now and the protein is 340g...is it better like that. Thanks for the help

Gucks is offline Member
    Iv'e changed the diet around that's in the cutting stickcy to suit me on the diet forum and am only going to be taking in carbs at breakfast time and after training. Iv'e also upped the protein and added good fats. My carbs are only 260g now and the protein is 340g...is it better like that. Thanks for the help
    much better macros. do you have any idea of what ur TDEE is btw..? would help in determining how many total cals you should be having.

Quote Originally Posted by Gucks View Post
    much better macros. do you have any idea of what ur TDEE is btw..? would help in determining how many total cals you should be having.
    Im out of empoyment at the moment so the only form of exercise i really get is 4 days a week in the gym.

Here is the new diet i planned, before i go and buy all the food is it right -

Meal 1 - 200g of chicken, 150g of oats made with water

Meal 2 - 1 scoop whey, 2 tins tuna, 2tbp extra virgin olive oil

Meal 3 - 200g chicken, 4 broccoli florets, 5g glutamine

Meal 4 - pwo shake consisting of 2 scoops whey, 50g oats, 2 tbp extra virgin olive oil

Meal 5 - 200g white fish or lean cut of steak (10oz) 150g brown rice, 4 broccoli florets

Meal 6 - 1 tub cottage cheese, 2 tbp extra virgin olive oil, 5g glutamine

How's it looking now, can i have a cup of coffe before training for a bit of energy and also will my body use all the protein as i won't be using AAS when doing this. Another thing i noticed is the chiciken has 1g of salt per 100g...is it safe to be eating 400g of it daily?
    Last edited by boxer08; 06-06-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Gucks is offline Member
    Here is the new diet i planned, before i go and buy all the food is it right -

Meal 1 - 200g of chicken, 150g of oats made with water raw weight chicken? thats alot of chicken dude, 100g cooked weight is what i go for which is about 35g protein. also, chicken isnt gr8 first thing in the morning. eggs would be better, they absor faster and their dirt cheap! 4 whites + 2 whole eggs.

Meal 2 - 1 scoop whey, 2 tins tuna, 2tbp extra virgin olive oil ditch the whey. 2 tins of tuna is alot or protein as it is, maybe yours are different but my tins are 35g protein eachl. 2 is to many if so. aim for about 40g protein with each meal.also should have carbs here, brown rice or another good source.

Meal 3 - 200g chicken, 4 broccoli florets, 5g glutamine keep your carbs in b4 workouts! brown rice here.

Meal 4 - pwo shake consisting of 2 scoops whey, 50g oats, 2 tbp extra virgin olive oil good, no real need for EVOO pwo, but whatever floats ur boat :P

Meal 5 - 200g white fish or lean cut of steak (10oz) 150g brown rice, 4 broccoli florets move this brown rice split into meal 2 & 3. mkake this protein/fat meal with EVOO or an EFA sup.

Meal 6 - 1 tub cottage cheese, 2 tbp extra virgin olive oil, 5g glutamine good meal. EVOO (or any fats in general) increase protein absorbtion time so always good to have EFA's b4 bed.

How's it looking now, can i have a cup of coffe before training for a bit of energy and also will my body use all the protein as i won't be using AAS when doing this. Another thing i noticed is the chiciken has 1g of salt per 100g...is it safe to be eating 400g of it daily?
    make a few of those changes and its gtg. do the total macros and calories again just to make sure they fit into ur target range. and no need to worry about salt, RDA is 6g for a male but some1 doing alot of cardio and training can go alot higher then that as u loose salt through sweat. so long as u dont load any of your meals with it then you will be fine.

My chicken has 24g of protein in 100g frozen weight and the tuna has 24g in a tin. What about the cup of coffe and will my body use all the protein as i won't be using AAS. Ill post the marcos up when the diet is done.

Gucks is offline Member
    My chicken has 24g of protein in 100g frozen weight and the tuna has 24g in a tin. What about the cup of coffe and will my body use all the protein as i won't be using AAS. Ill post the marcos up when the diet is done.
    need to do ur macros again and see if they fit into ur targets. and coffee is fine pre-WO. ur body will only use so much protein and the rest will just be stored as fat. for ur weight, 300-350g like i said b4 is where u shuld be at. and 200g chicken and 2 tins of tuna is ok, 48g is a bit excessive but as long as ur total calories are ok then dont worry about it, u can stick with 200g chicken and 2 tins tuna.

Thread Information