little_dude is offline Junior Member

Diet for fasting?

Hi and thank you to those that read this (sorry if it drags on), ok so I will be fasting for Ramadan. For those of you who arnt farmiliar its where I will be fasting from dawn to sunset so I wont be eating or drinking from about 3.30am - 9.15pm this will shorten over the days as we move further away from summer. As I am in holidays until uni starts in mid Sep I am in an ok position. so its similar to IF but i dont choose the window and nothing is allowed during the fast. I dont generally go to bed til 1-2 am usually so I have decided to just stay up the extra hour or 2 and eat. I will probs sleep from about 4am til 12pm, unless I have to be up in the morning, I will change accordingly.

I would actually like to cut during this month as I will be going on holiday in Sep.

Stats:
    5'6
    138 lbs (yeah I know :P)
    about 15% BF

I had initially aimed to bulk over the past few months but a previous shoulder problem came back, plus exam revision consumed most of my time so diet got messed up. But thats in the past now.

So I was wondering if it would be smart for me to cut during this month?

Below is a sample diet I made, I will lay it out pm to am as thats how my timetable will be set out.

9.15 pm - Protein shake, fruit 50/30/1 ~ 320 cal

9.30 pm - whatever dinner is, i.e chicken pasta, spag bol etc. I will aim to roughly meet 30/45/10 ~ 400cal

12.00am - Chicken breast, brown rice 35/50/5 ~ 400cal

1.00am - Workout (should the workout be kept shorter because of the fasting, I was thinking about 40 mins)

1.40am - Protein shake, oats, fruit 50/40/2 ~ 350cal

3.00am - 3 eggs, oats, 200 ml semi milk 30/35/22 ~ 450 cal

3.30am - Casien protein, 300 ml semi milk, banana 60/35/5 ~ 400cal

TOTAL: 255/235/45 ~ 2400 cal I believe that this is roughley maintenance or slightly less. I will adjust accordingly (if notice BF increase etc)

Any advice? thanks
    Last edited by little_dude; 07-29-2011 at 09:07 AM.

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    I'd drop the protein down a little bit and add in some more fats. Try adding in some fish oil or olive oil. Nuts and seeds are a good source of fats as well.

I thought it would be better to go heavy on the protein seeing as I will be going about 18 hours without food or drink, so I don't want to lose any muscle which I have in the past fasts (mostly due to poor diet). Yeah I thought that the fat was quite low but I do want to cut.I am aiming to lose about 3% BF which is about 4-5 lbs of fat and i would also like to add 1-2 lbs of muscle in the month of fasting (realistic?)

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    there is a thread on intermittent fasting, you should check it out. i want to say check out the website leangains or something like that. it may help you out some.

Yeah am looking into IF thanks. The only problem is that I don't get to choose the hours of fasting and I can consume NOTHING during the fasting hours but it's still similar so it's helpful.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I started the below thread not too long ago and ran an IF diet myself:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...t=intermittent

Thanks gbrice I'll take a good look at those

Eating dietary fat doesn't necessarily make you fat. You need it to make your hormones, lubricate joints, etc. There is a reason that we have substances called ESSENTIAL FATS. You need them, so don't neglect them.

Fats will also slow gastric emptying and digestion, which is something you should definitely be concerned about considering you're going so long without food.

Losing 4-5lbs of fat in a month is doable. Gaining 1-2lbs of muscle in a month is doable. But doing both at the same time in a month is going to be very very tough.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwkw View Post
    Eating dietary fat doesn't necessarily make you fat. You need it to make your hormones, lubricate joints, etc. There is a reason that we have substances called ESSENTIAL FATS. You need them, so don't neglect them.

Fats will also slow gastric emptying and digestion, which is something you should definitely be concerned about considering you're going so long without food.

Losing 4-5lbs of fat in a month is doable. Gaining 1-2lbs of muscle in a month is doable. But doing both at the same time in a month is going to be very very tough.
    Are there any fats that you would Reccomend given the situation? Also do you think that I should lower the carbs as well the protien? Thanks

Get a few different kinds of oils. I generally use virgin coconut, olive oil, walnut oil, fish oil, grass-fed butter, and I rotate between them based on what I'm eating/cooking. You have to remember when cooking with fats that each of them has a different smoke point. If you cook them above this temperature it alters the quality of the fat and they are not as good for you (they taste bad too) I'd probably set up your diet like this.

9.15 pm - Protein shake, fruit 50/30/1 ~ 320 cal only use 1 scoop of protein ~25g and I'd add either a T of oil or 30g of nuts

9.30 pm - whatever dinner is, i.e chicken pasta, spag bol etc. I will aim to roughly meet 30/45/10 ~ 400calI'm guessing that this is with family so, just make good choices

12.00am - Chicken breast, brown rice 35/50/5 ~ 400cal here, either 30g of nuts or a T of oil

1.00am - Workout (should the workout be kept shorter because of the fasting, I was thinking about 40 mins)

1.40am - Protein shake, oats, fruit 50/40/2 ~ 350calthis is fine

3.00am - 3 eggs, oats, 200 ml semi milk 30/35/22 ~ 450 cal I think your macros are off for this, but its not too bad. I generally don't like milk in people's diets but if you are making progress using it then use it.

3.30am - Casien protein , 300 ml semi milk, banana 60/35/5 ~ 400cal I'd cut the shake in half and replace the banana with a fat source

TOTAL: 255/235/45 ~ 2400 cal I believe that this is roughley maintenance or slightly less. I will adjust accordingly (if notice BF increase etc)

Not sure about the totals, but it's just altering what you're doing a bit.

Are almonds and PB a sufficient fat source?

Yes, but I wouldn't limit it to just those 2. If you really want a nut use a few others as well. Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, cashews. They're all good sources of fat.

Make sure you get your nuts raw. Roasting them changes the fatty acid quality.

Quote Originally Posted by little_dude View Post
    Are almonds and PB a sufficient fat source?
    Neither are omega-3 sources. People get plenty of omega-6 and omega-9, but not enough 3's. Fish oil is the way to go. Cod liver, sardines, salmon, etc.

Thread Information