Is it possible to ....

lose total body weight but gain LBM and BF????

I've been keeping track of my stats and for some reason all my calculations today add up to a

3.4lb loss in total weight
    0.48% increase in body fat
    1.1 lb increase in LBM

What am I missing ,,,, just doesn't seem right.

I knew this had to be a brain fart... my math was wrong. I kept trying to figure how in the hell the above could be possible all the while thinking it could not be.

Turns out I lost 3.6 lbs LBM and gained .48% body fat which makes sense.

Also lines up with the week off from the weights the week before and lasts week high rep lower weight routine I did.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibrantred94gt View Post
    Turns out I lost 3.6 lbs LBM and gained .48% body fat which makes sense.
    Glad you sorted out your math, but why did this ^^^ happen? Surely a week off from weights didn't cause this.

The week off with no weights was also low in calories. This was not planned I was just so busy I didn't eat all my meals. I was very active that week, normally I sit at a desk. I took my cheat day on the heavy side that weekend (family birthday party).

A combination of things I gather.....

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibrantred94gt View Post
    The week off with no weights was also low in calories. This was not planned I was just so busy I didn't eat all my meals. I was very active that week, normally I sit at a desk. I took my cheat day on the heavy side that weekend (family birthday party).

A combination of things I gather.....
    No weights but high activity, low calories yet you gained bodyfat? And low calories means exactly what to you - 500 or less?

You should not have lost 3.6lbs of LBM, that's ALOT. Are you taking water weight into account?

Ya man... I don't know. Low cals means lower than my daily goal. So for the week in question I hit my goal Mon/Tues then dropped down to 5-600 below my goal wed/Thurs then Fri. I ate 1400 below my goal in good food and in the evening said F it and had some cheese, crackers, and 5 oz gin w/ diet tonic.

Saturday I drank several 1 oz vodka diet cranberries and paid no attention to my diet and Sunday I really loaded up on lean beef, bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes etc... Funny thing is that following Tuesday I weighed in at a 0.4 lb loss from the week before but my measurements all went down- waist an inch, hips 1/2 inch, belly button an inch.

This week I'm down to 200.6 and lost an inch from my hips, 1/2 inch from my belly button and a 1/4 inch off the wrist.

Forgot to add- I weigh/measure in every Tuesday after my 1 cup of coffee, cardio, a health shit, and dry.

So I started going through the numbers and in the process decided to make an Excel spread sheet that would calculate my BF, LBM, and BF% (I'll add a new post with the spread sheet should others want to use it).

While making the spread sheet I was looking at all kinds of formulas to use. I've been using an online calculator and it turns out I've been using it wrong. It asks for waist measurement and I've been putting in my waist, not my abdomen. (Good thing I've been jotting down all my measurements)

This online calculator I"ve been using is based on the Navy formula that's out there on the net. After trying a couple of the online Navy (and getting different results from the online calculator I've been using) calculators that asked specifically for abdomen instead of waist I decided I'd plug in Abdomen measurements in my online calculator and sure enough things started matching up.

SO- after taking all my measurements since I started it turns out I didn't lose 3.4 lbs of LBM. I lost 1.67 lbs of LBM and 1.79 LBS of fat.

It seems the body fat% was getting skewed and my guess is because I was losing weight but measuring my actual waist which wasn't shrinking at the rate of my abdomen.

Here's my numbers-

Date BellyButton Weight LBM Body Fat lbs Body Fat %

3-Aug 40 206 151.31 54.69 26.55
    9-Aug 40 204.4 149.58 54.82 26.82
    16-Aug 39 204 153.30 50.70 24.85
    23-Aug 38.5 200.6 151.69 48.91 24.38

Formula I've been using----- If anything I just want a record of progress.. not really implying this is actually spot on or even close.

Body Fat Formula For Men

Factor 1 - (Total body weight x 1.082) + 94.42

Factor 2 - Waist measurement x 4.15

Lean Body Mass - Factor 1 - Factor 2

Body Fat Weight-Total bodyweight - Lean Body Mass

Body Fat Percentage

(Body Fat Weight x 100) / total bodyweight
    Last edited by Vibrantred94gt; 08-23-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen-capture.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	116779

If anyone wants the spread sheet I put together shoot me a PM with your email address and i'll shoot it over to you

It's mostly setup just like the online version but the benefit is you can record your results and see your progress. It's simple and clean...
    Last edited by Vibrantred94gt; 08-23-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Thread Information