Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"

Why do people stay at the same weight but change physiques?

Phate got links?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Can you elaborate on the question Twist? Like, what are you looking for here... theory's? Science? Isn't the obvious answer a body recomposition - in either direction? i.e. drop bodyfat while adding muscle (a newb is certainly capable of this), or vice versa (we're ALL capable of this!).

Sorry, maybe i'm missing something.

It's something I asked phate about. I sent him the link so he will explain. Basically the body doesn't want to change weights, but has no problem changing muscle:fat ratios etc. I wanna know why.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I`m not sure I understand either are you saying no one gets bigger? or there is simply plateaus eventually?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Not sure I follow/agree. My body composition has definitely changed over the years but my weight (on season and off) has gradually increased steadily over the last 23 years as well. I was an out of shape 165lbs when I started at 22 years old.

Sorry guys this was meant for phate and he would know what I meant as he offered to explain it and I took him up on the offer. Basically I have a client and her weight stays at 125lbs and won't move. However she has added a very decent amount of muscle. We can get her weight as low as 118 but it always jumps back up to 125. she can eat 800cals or 1500 and still be 125. Of course at some point the body will eventually gain/lose weight but for some people the body can completely change composition and remain at the same weight. There is something keeping the weight there and my hypothesis was that the body is comfortable regulating hormones or something but I don't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    It has to do with your bodies homeostatic feedback loop, this is a huge topic we can get into in detail if you like.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I 've heard of something like this... I read a few places that the body can actualy have a PREFERRED weight, unsure if this is true or just the oppinion of a few people

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Sorry guys this was meant for phate and he would know what I meant as he offered to explain it and I took him up on the offer. Basically I have a client and her weight stays at 125lbs and won't move. However she has added a very decent amount of muscle. We can get her weight as low as 118 but it always jumps back up to 125. she can eat 800cals or 1500 and still be 125. Of course at some point the body will eventually gain/lose weight but for some people the body can completely change composition and remain at the same weight. There is something keeping the weight there and my hypothesis was that the body is comfortable regulating hormones or something but I don't know for sure.
    I don't want to derail this as I know you're waiting on Phate, but just curious - you mentioned she has gained muscle but you didn't say anything about bodyfat - have you noticed a drop at all?

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    The body , if at the same wieght for a long time - will strive to maintain that weight. However this can be overcome - a new wieght can be attained for a long time - and that will become the bodies "point of reference" - For eaxmple if your client were to do minimal resiatance training with intensive cardio at a caloric deficit - she would lose wieght (obviously). Muscle will not miraculously appear to make up for the loss of bodyfat - esp in a woman. The hormones are simplky not avail for this to occur to a dramatic degree (like 7 lbs worth that you cite). If she then maintains a new weight for a while - that then becomes the wieght the body strives to maintian. The idea that some people - regardless of workout being done and caloric intake manipulation -will always stay the same weight is simply not true. Some may be more resistant - but all can and will change (unless say hyperthyroidism or some medical condition). If she has the ability to gain muscle and lose fat (recomp) easilyand stays around the same wieght simply focus on cardio for some extended time(maybe not good news for a trainer) , allow her to reach and maintain the desired lower weight for some time - then proceed

JMO.....

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    The body , if at the same wieght for a long time - will strive to maintain that weight. However this can be overcome - a new wieght can be attained for a long time - and that will become the bodies "point of reference" - For eaxmple if your client were to do minimal resiatance training with intensive cardio at a caloric deficit - she would lose wieght (obviously). Muscle will not miraculously appear to make up for the loss of bodyfat - esp in a woman. The hormones are simplky not avail for this to occur to a dramatic degree (like 7 lbs worth that you cite). If she then maintains a new weight for a while - that then becomes the wieght the body strives to maintian. The idea that some people - regardless of workout being done and caloric intake manipulation -will always stay the same weight is simply not true. Some may be more resistant - but all can and will change (unless say hyperthyroidism or some medical condition). If she has the ability to gain muscle and lose fat (recomp) easilyand stays around the same wieght simply focus on cardio for some extended time(maybe not good news for a trainer) , allow her to reach and maintain the desired lower weight for some time - then proceed

JMO.....
    not to hijack Twist but while you/ we "wait for Phate" (poet) then I ask:
    would this be setting a new set point " allow her to reach and maintain the desired lower weight for some time-then proceed?"

Love learning all of this!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Rodax is offline Associate Member
    I've heard of set points before and that's what it sounds like. for example the body will adjust to new activity levels and find homeostasis. perhaps 125lbs is this woman's natural set point? I remember reading about it once but it seemed more of a concrete place that the body stayed at after it reached homeostasis. an example would be if you had a consistent amount of cals over time and exercise that the body adapted to then it would eventually reach a set point. I dunno I may be wrong, will wait for phate.

I understand all this and even wrote about set points before. I want to know WHY the body would be comfortable 'recomping' while maintaining the same weight. I feel it would just be easier to drop the weight as some individuals do.

ps. I have cut out weight training for the last three weeks (only light workouts on her own) and replaced with intense cardio to no avail. Her body really wants this 125 but has no problem recomping. I am afraid she will go beyond the muscle mass she desires (a problem we all wish we had). I want to know WHY the body would target a certain weight (as in the number) rather than target a bodyfat percentage or muscle mass percentage as it usually does.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    My reply with quote feature not working (again) and jimmyinked uses "long time" to describe a time at previous weight and time at new lower weight.

My question...what does long mean as in duration...months, years, decades?????

Long time I think refers to as long as it takes for the body to adapt. For example, If I stuff myself with 4k cals per day everyday for long enough my body will adapt and 4k cals will be a comfortable thing for me to eat. Of course physique changes will occur along side the increased calorie intake. So long time, I believe, refers to however long it takes for the body to adapt to the changes.

Thread Information