Fish oil and joint pain

I've always heard and read that omega 3's can reduce inflammation in joints (especially in people with arthritis) but really never given it too much consideration - until now.

I've had pain in my upper knees when doing squats, leg press, etc. for probably close to a year now, right in the spot where the outer head of the quad inserts into the top of the knee. The first couple warm up reps are always very painful, but then as I warm up it gets a little better, but I've had to do a ridiculous amount of warm up sets to be able to move any significant amount of weight at all.

I'm currently trying to cut some BF and have carbs pretty low so I started taking about 12 - 15 fish oil caps a day. That's about 2200 EPA, 1400 DHA, and 900 other omega 3's. After about 2 weeks of this I noticed the pain getting a little better but didn't think much of it, and now at 4 weeks I have no pain at all. I went heavier on squats today then I have in the past year and was completely pain free - it felt amazing to feel like my legs were gonna collapse after a leg work out again after not having that feeling for so long. LOL.

Nothing else has really changed regarding my other food sources or supplements or training so the only thing I think it could be is the fish oils. I don't know if the additional fish oil actually healed an injury/inflammation or if I had an issue with my knees to begin with because my omega 3's were too low. Regardless, they are now a permanent part of my diet.

Thoughts??

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    I've always heard and read that omega 3's can reduce inflammation in joints (especially in people with arthritis) but really never given it too much consideration - until now.

I've had pain in my upper knees when doing squats, leg press, etc. for probably close to a year now, right in the spot where the outer head of the quad inserts into the top of the knee. The first couple warm up reps are always very painful, but then as I warm up it gets a little better, but I've had to do a ridiculous amount of warm up sets to be able to move any significant amount of weight at all.

I'm currently trying to cut some BF and have carbs pretty low so I started taking about 12 - 15 fish oil caps a day. That's about 2200 EPA, 1400 DHA, and 900 other omega 3's. After about 2 weeks of this I noticed the pain getting a little better but didn't think much of it, and now at 4 weeks I have no pain at all. I went heavier on squats today then I have in the past year and was completely pain free - it felt amazing to feel like my legs were gonna collapse after a leg work out again after not having that feeling for so long. LOL.

Nothing else has really changed regarding my other food sources or supplements or training so the only thing I think it could be is the fish oils. I don't know if the additional fish oil actually healed an injury/inflammation or if I had an issue with my knees to begin with because my omega 3's were too low. Regardless, they are now a permanent part of my diet.

Thoughts??
    this is all too interesting. i too suffer from joint pain everyday. i can't tell you the last day or time, that i was 'pain free.' i will get some over the weekend and start to try this. thanks for the 'experiment' and i may have to jump on board. is there any way that you take them to not belch them up? i take some before i eat and still burp some up, nasty!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Really glad to hear this. I preach omega-3's / fish oils all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    this is all too interesting. i too suffer from joint pain everyday. i can't tell you the last day or time, that i was 'pain free.' i will get some over the weekend and start to try this. thanks for the 'experiment' and i may have to jump on board. is there any way that you take them to not belch them up? i take some before i eat and still burp some up, nasty!
    Just make sure you get a decent quality fish oil and not some Wal Mart brand. I have read that the cheap store brands can have fish oil that has gone rancid before it goes into the capsule and that is what causes the indigestion and nasty aftertaste.

I'm using Barleans and I've never tasted or burped anything fishy at all.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    thanks for that bit of advice!

Daveman is offline Junior Member
    How was your fat intake prior?

Fish Oil definitely has anti inflammatory properties but fats in general are what contribute to healthy joints/tendons etc.

Whenever I read these "critique my diet" threads where someone has almost no fat my joints ache just looking at them.

It could be possible that by upping your fat intake overall its helped alot.

Thread Information