freak1 is offline Member
    Blog Entries

couple questions about oats

just couple questions about oats guys.so ive been taakin in oats every am but there the instant 100%whole grain oats and someone said i should be using steel cut oats or whole oats instead and that i should soak them the night before and that way the nxt day i dnt haVE TO COOK THEM SO LONG CAUSE USUALLY IM IN A RUSH.JUST Wondering your guys thoughts on this and how do you prepare your oats etc.... ty in advance

little_dude is offline Junior Member
    i eat my oats raw (blending into a shake), i dont think you need to soak them the night before.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    good old fashioned oats.

I did the steel cut thing and man just too tough and switched to the regular and I know some even use Quick oats since finer grain thus quicker!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    1/2 cup oats(regular oats not instant) 1 1/4 cup water.. high heat til boiling.. turn down and stir on low/med for like 5 mins... dun dude.. i like mine with sugar free strawberry preserves (smuckers) mixed in...

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Steel cut are best/least processed but a pain in the ass. I use the whole rolled oats, or 'quick oats' which are the same as the whole rolled, but chopped up into smaller bits.

I'll agree with what's already been said. Steel cut are a pain in the ass and gross, whole or quick oats (not the flavored instant oats) can be ground to a powder in the blender or just added to a shake whole and chewed up as you drink the shake.

My pwo shake is 1c whole oats with 2 scoops protein and it's one of my favorite meals of the day. I know it sounds gross but I swear it's good. I've eaten oats ED for probably over a year now but haven't made actual "oatmeal" the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    My pwo shake is 1c whole oats with 2 scoops protein and it's one of my favorite meals of the day.
    x2. Oats + vanilla or chocolate myofusion, or better yet a scoop of each, = heaven!

I however do make oatmeal whenever I have the time. By far my favorite carb source. Splenda, cinnamon, a splash of fat free half and half to make it creamy, and a few slices of banana and/or some blueberries.... and i'm on cloud 9!

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    HAve you tried the oat pancakes? Do you want the recipe? the batch will make 3 servings so you will have 2 more meals once made up. Let me know....
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

freak1 is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    i use the plain instant oats usually but a nutrtionist i talked to said they get absorbed too fast and might be creating an insuslin spike n to have somethin slower like whole oats or steel cut

Quote Originally Posted by freak1 View Post
    i use the plain instant oats usually but a nutrtionist i talked to said they get absorbed too fast and might be creating an insuslin spike n to have somethin slower like whole oats or steel cut

Absorbed too fast simply because they're smaller than the whole? There is nothing different about their chemical structure. They might digest a tad quicker simply because they're smaller. Same thing as if I swallow a lump of meat vs. chewing it first.

Regardless, I don't believe any difference would be significant enough AT ALL to create an insulin spike.

Mr. Small is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

Absorbed too fast simply because they're smaller than the whole? There is nothing different about their chemical structure. They might digest a tad quicker simply because they're smaller. Same thing as if I swallow a lump of meat vs. chewing it first.

Regardless, I don't believe any difference would be significant enough AT ALL to create an insulin spike.
    I often wondered about regular oats v. milled oats in the digestion phase. Maybe i will do a new thread on that some time, but maybe the milled oats do get absorbed quicker.

MASTERMIKE 48 is offline Junior Member
    Try adding a 1/2 cup buckwheat pancake mix to your 1/2 cup quick oats and cover in water nuke for 1 min 30 sec add a splenda packet and that will give you a carb blast out of this world!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Small View Post
    I often wondered about regular oats v. milled oats in the digestion phase. Maybe i will do a new thread on that some time, but maybe the milled oats do get absorbed quicker.
    Again, I highly doubt it. It wouldn't make sense imo. Let's say I cooked a serving each of quick oats and whole oats. Both are now soft 'oatmeal'. Why would one be absorbed any quicker than the other?

I've had both raw in my PWO shakes and chew in either case, so by the time they hit my stomach, they're more or less the same.

If there is any difference with regards to how one affects insulin , I believe it would be so negligible, it wouldn't even be worth mentioning.

freak1 is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    thatsbgood to hear than gbrice cause the quik oats r so much easier to prepare lol

Thread Information