Corpsman is offline Associate Member

My "ADMIN's Cutting 101" Questions

I am a bit confused. I followed Admin's Cutting 101 directions. Here are my numbers:
    Ht- 5'6" (167.64cm)
    Wt- 170lbs (77.27kg)
    BF- ~20%
    Age-38

BMR= 1784.19

TDEE = 2141 (Sedentary) 2765 (Moderate)

Cutting Diet

Following 40/40/20 Split:

Sedentary Days = 1641 cal. Prot-164.1g Carb- 164.1g Fat- 36.4g

Moderate Days = 2265 cal. Prot- 226.5g Carb- 226.5g Fat- 50.3g

Questions

I am no mathematics genius so I question the fact that my Prot/Carb grams came out to exactly 10% of my daily calorie count. Did I calculate that correctly?

Second question.. ADMIN gives an example for a 2000 calorie diet and says "then modified a bit" comes up with 250g Protein and 150g Carb and 45g Fat. That is a significant departure from a 40/40/20 split. So given my numbers and throwing the 40/40/20 split completely out the window, where should my numbers be?

Third question.. Should I adjust my diet daily depending on whether it is a sedentary day or moderate day?

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    post some pics. 1857 cals/204g pro/159g carbs/45g fat. don't adjust on workout or non-workout days, let me know what your availability is for working out and if you can do fasted cardio in the am with workout in the evenings.

Here are some pics I took at about 165lbs before I stopped working out. http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...=#.TwUiWPIvxBk

Why does everyone seem to subscribe to a 40/40/20 split, then proceed to throw it out the window? By my math (and I don't trust my math), ADMIN's example was for a 2000 cal/day diet that he modified a bit, but when you calculate his modifications, his calorie count shot up to over 2700. So I am really confused. If 40/40/20 is not a good split, someone should decide what is.

boxa06 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post
    Here are some pics I took at about 165lbs before I stopped working out. http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...=#.TwUiWPIvxBk

Why does everyone seem to subscribe to a 40/40/20 split, then proceed to throw it out the window? By my math (and I don't trust my math), ADMIN's example was for a 2000 cal/day diet that he modified a bit, but when you calculate his modifications, his calorie count shot up to over 2700. So I am really confused. If 40/40/20 is not a good split, someone should decide what is.
    40/40/20 is only a starting point for someone whom has never dieted before. From there everyone will adjust to their own individual needs as determined by how their body is reacting to 40/40/20. For me if I was to be cutting I would greatly reduce energy (carbs and fats) and have more of a 60/25/15 approach. Or if I were clean bulking for me a 50/35/15 approach works best. But you have to determine what works for you! Also protein stays the same on working and rest days. The only thing I would change would have to be energy intake.

your math was right on both examples. I used a 45/35/20 split and basically used a starting point of proteins being 1.5grams per pound of lbm per day. The numbers should fit for what your stats are and that you want to cut. Nothing is perfectly going to figure this thing out for you, but if you start with my suggestion and stick with it you will be able to find out how it works for you and make adjustments if needed. I'm 185 at 20%bf and the numbers I'm giving you almost exactly line up with what I'm doing personally percentage wise!

My Mon - Friday schedule is pretty much Wake - 7:00AM Work - 8:00AM Home - 4:30PM. On days when I can workout I would be in the gym by 6:30PM and back home by 9:00PM
    My daughter plays basketball Tuesday and Friday so those are non-workout days for sure.

So here is what I am looking at doing:

7AM - Morning Meal - 35 Pro 54 Carb 6.8g Fat
    10AM - 35 Pro 6.8g Fat
    1PM - 35g Pro 27g Carb 6.8g Fat
    4PM - 35g Pro 6.8g Fat
    6PM - 35g Pro 54g Carb 6.8g Fat
    7PM - 2 Hour Workout
    9PM - 35g Pro 27g Carb 6.8g Fat
    11PM - 35g Pro 6.8g Fat

I don't necessarily like the idea of eating carbs that late but I can't help how late in the day I have available to workout and I know I need some carbs post workout.

I don't see a problem with this. for your non-lifting days just put the extra carbs into the 1pm meal and remove from the 9pm meal. Could you post your food choices for those meals and your current workout?

JAB1 is offline Member
    Deletede my own post, made no sense4, lol.
    Last edited by JAB1; 01-05-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: error post

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    I don't see a problem with this. for your non-lifting days just put the extra carbs into the 1pm meal and remove from the 9pm meal. Could you post your food choices for those meals and your current workout?
    x2^^^. Whenever I work out in the evening I take in 40g carbs at 9pm and then eat a protein meal about an hour later. Even when cutting. If I was being picky I would move your 1pm carbs to 4pm and make it 40g and then make your 6pm meal 40g too. Should help you be 'fully loaded' for your wokout. Unless you need the carbs earlier in the day for energy for work or something?

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Agree that 40/40/20 is a starting point. When I am cutting, I need to keep protein high, so I cut carbs and end up on a 60/20/20 diet. It all depends on how much protein you need (based on body weight or lean mass) and your goals. I work well on a low carb diet...others don't. Everyone is different.

The important thing is the structure. Once you have a structured diet, you can follow it for a few weeks and make adjustments based on results.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I actually wrote the bit, and will answer your questions/offer my input when I can get in front of a PC.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    don't adjust on workout or non-workout days
    Curious as to why you would suggest this?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Several. One: I was working with Corps before my hiatus so I have some personal insight as to his specifics.
    Two: stem is working with me on my diet and basically said it simply, he likes his body to use the carbs on non-lifting days for repair, I agree.
    Three: I went with a 45/35/20 split so the carbs are already lowered, also corps could legitimately go closer to moderate based upon his lifestyle.
    Four: I am a little lower on daily calories consistently than what it would be calculated him upping the cals on lifting days and lowering them on non-lifting days. I personally like a simple and consistent approach.

With all of the info on IF and other alternative options to caloric intake and on when it should come in, it seems that a weekly approach would be just as logical as a daily approach for calories-in vs calories-out.
    Last edited by tbody66; 01-05-2012 at 05:26 PM.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I have have never adjusted either. I eat the same things whether it is a rest day, a cardio only day, or a cardio/lifting day. I always thought the "extra" food on rest days would help with growth (or repair) since we grow while resting, not lifting. I will admit that I have never put a lot of thought into it and could be completely wrong.

I am likely going to take the advice of moving the carbs around a bit. I was just trying to get less carbs in the evening time. As far as what foods I will be eating.. I have given my wife the assignment of figuring that out. I wrote out a split for me and for her. It is her job to figure out the food. The morning meal will definitely be a whey protein shake with added real food ingredients. My first go round of deciding to workout I did nothing with the diet except that I didn't drink any alcohol but maybe once per week. I dropped from 180ish to 160 in about four months and was looking really good. I developed some arm pain and tried to go from one workout to a pyramid workout. That really screwed me up because, although I actually liked the pyramid approach.. I was having to be in the gym for 3 hours one day and 1.5 another. I have 4 kids and spending that much time in the gym sabotaged me. The next thing I new 2 1/2 months had passed without me working out. I was using the Ronnie's sample workout and had some issues with it. When I posted some questions about it he responded by telling me he wouldn't do what I was doing (which was HIS sample workout). So I got frustrated. But back to what I was saying. I did that first "get back into shape" period just doing 200mg/wk of Testosterone (I am on HRT for the last 10 years) and was just about to do an adjustment to 400mg/week, but like I said.. I fell off the wagon.

So now I am getting back on the wagon. But this time, diet will be an important part of my plan. My wife is 118lbs. If she can get down to 112lbs doing this with me within a month she will definitely be on board. And lord knows I need her to be on board.

Sounds like you've been on her more than she's been on board....4 KIDS....WOW

Just Kidding - I have five

I am here to help with a workout whenever you are ready.

I am thinking of trying to develop a more sensible pyramid. I like the warm-up, prep, heavy, light, routine... but I have to figure out a 5 day routine that doesn't have such huge swings in the amount of time needed to be in the gym.

Corps, you are spending way to much time in the gym lifting if you are there for two hours. For guys our size that just isn't necessary, IMO. I think I know what you want to accomplish and I know I could put you together a program that does that in less time than it's taking you now. Less time in the gym means more time with the fam and a better chance of the wife being on board.

Prepping this w/e to get started Monday. I will start a progress log.

Allright then, we'll be here for you!

Thread Information