Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NOSUPERMODEL is offline Member

Late night craving

What are some good choices for late night cravings. Always get a little hungry about two hours after dinner. I am not a fan of cottage cheese so please don't suggest that. Also I know I should not eat carbs so I am at a complete loss.

boxa06 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOSUPERMODEL View Post
    What are some good choices for late night cravings. Always get a little hungry about two hours after dinner. I am not a fan of cottage cheese so please don't suggest that. Also I know I should not eat carbs so I am at a complete loss.
    How about a casien protein shake with natural peanut butter mixed in. You don't have to add the pb if you don't want the extra fat..

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    Try a small omelette, that's what I used to have... Not much to them and surprisingly filling

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a peice of turkey peperoni

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I was going to say cottage cheese, but you hate it. My next recommendation was casein, but someone already said that. Then I was going to suggest eggs, but that is covered too. Sooooo, if the protein sources don't work for you I can only say broccoli or asparagus to fill the space. Low cal, a little fiber...what's not to like? Well, other than they taste like crap.

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Why don't you just work you daily macros around a bit so that you can fit one extra meal in per day. If your cutting I wouldn't recommend anything with carbs late at night, but let's say you eat six meals a day. Cut 40 cals (coming from protein and fat) from each meal and add it on at the end of the day in an extra meal. That would equal 240 calories for your last meal. Eat a piece of chicken and veggies, a 96/4 lean hamburger patty. Really anything high in protein and low in fat would be fine I would think. This way you don't have to worry about eating over if you're having cravings....that extra meal is always there. Obviously something like cottage cheese would be best because of the casein, but I think as long as whatever you're eating in mostly protein with maybe a little fat you should be G2G.

I'm hardly an expert so let's see what some other people think about this idea.

Evolution86 is offline New Member
    Chobani plain yogurt. It's like 100cals 18g of casein protein, also low on the sugar and sodium. That's what I had earlier tonight. Also if you get sick of it, you can add some organic honey. It will slightly increase the sugars but I use less than half of a serving size. Also drink more water! Lol casein + h2o-> brain thinks you full.

Thanks for the responses. I might give the Casein shake a try(need to order some). I have tried the chicken breast late at night and that seems to help, but kind of feel like I am wasting a meal for the next day just to cure a craving.

Also, forgot to mention. When the craving hits it seems like its a craving for carbs. Like I want a piece of candy, chips, piece of bread, etc...

ANIMAL is offline Associate Member
    What's the last meal you have when you get this craving for sweets? You should post up your diet with macros while you're at it too.

Quote Originally Posted by b23 View Post
    What's the last meal you have when you get this craving for sweets? You should post up your diet with macros while you're at it too.
    Last night it was 8 oz. Chicken and 1 cup of green peas
    Night before was 8oz. Turkey left over from Christmas and 1 cup of green beans

This is what I ate yesterday. I log my food on Bodybugg and I write down the nutrition facts and from everything I eat to put in my saved food library

Breakfast 8:00 AM

PRO CARB FAT CAL
    1.3 Servings All Whites-Liquid egg Whites-3Tbsp 6.5 g 0.0 g 0.0 g 32.5 Cal
    1.0 Serving Brown Rice Cups 5.0 g 40.0 g 3.5 g 230.0 Cal
    3.0 Servings Eggsland Best Egg-1 egg 21.0 g 0.0 g 13.5 g 240.0 Cal
    1.0 Serving Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage 13.0g 1.0 g 7.0 g 120.0 Cal
    2.0 Servings Kraft 2% Cheese Singles 8.0 g 4.0 g 5.0 g 90.0 Cal
    Total 53.5 g 45.0 g 29.0 g 712.5 Cal
    AM Snack 10:30 AM

Pro Carb Fat Cal
    1.0 Serving Starkist Tuna-12oz. can 55.0 g 0.0 g 2.5 g 250.0 Cal
    1.0 Serving Yo Crunch Greek Nonfat Yogurt0Blueberry 11.0 g 31.0 g 1.0 g 170.0 Cal
    Total 66.0 g 31.0 g 3.5 g 420.0 Cal
    Lunch 1:00 PM

1.0 Serving Brown Rice Cups 5.0 g 40.0 g 3.5 g 230.0 Cal
    1.25 Servings Chicken Breast-4 oz. 30.0 g 0.0 g 1.2 g 125.0 Cal
    1.0 Serving Steamers Just for One Brocoli & Cheese 2.0 g 7.0 g 1.0 g 40.0 Cal
    Total 37.0 g 47.0 g 5.7 g 395.0 Cal
    PM Snack 3:30 PM

1.0 Item Apple 0.3 g 21.0 g 0.5 g 81.4 Cal
    1.75 Servings Jennie-O Turkey Burger 28.0 g 0.0 g 26.3 g 385.0 Cal
    1.0 Serving Kraft 2% Cheese Singles 4.0 g 2.0 g 2.5 g 45.0 Cal
    Total 32.3 g 23.0 g 29.3 g 511.4 Cal
    Pre & Post Workout Combined 5:00 & 7:00

3.0 Servings Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein 72.0 g 9.0 g 3.0 g 360.0 Cal
    Total 72.0 g 9.0 g 3.0 g 360.0 Cal

Dinner 8:00

1.0 Cup Green Peas, Canned, Drained 7.5 g 21.4 g 0.6 g 117.3 Cal
    2.0 Servings Tyson Homestyle Chicken Strips-4oz. 38.0 g 28.0 g 20.0 g 440.0 Cal
    Total 45.5 g 49.4 g 20.6 g 557.3 Cal
    Total for all meals 306.3 g 204.4 g 91.1 g 2956.2 Ca

Percentages

Protein-43%
    Carbs-28%
    Fats-29%

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolution86 View Post
    Chobani plain yogurt. It's like 100cals 18g of casein protein, also low on the sugar and sodium. That's what I had earlier tonight. Also if you get sick of it, you can add some organic honey. It will slightly increase the sugars but I use less than half of a serving size. Also drink more water! Lol casein + h2o-> brain thinks you full.
    Same here. Chobani with some splenda and frozen blueberries. And I know some might not like this choice but a heck of a lot better than the alternative!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    and check out this protein ice-cream recipe from Gbrice

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...m#.TwXfEhw0i6Y
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Every nite before bed i have 5oz chikn breast, 1C cott cheese, 2TBS nat pb...

The 3 combined get me thru the nite no prob.. I know u dont like the cott cheese.. So maybe have casein shake instead.. The PB and the fat and richness of it really calms down craving for me ... I even eat mine in a specific order.. Chikn then PB then cott cheese .. It works..

I agree with slfmade... Change a few small things thruoghout the rest of ur day to give u an assortment of things to have before bed... Just make sure theyre proteins/fats.. Chikn,pb,casein shake sounds prettty good have all 3.. I think thats where u will get more satisfaction...

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Are you bulking? You have a serious amount of fat in meals 1,4 and 6 and overall. Is this intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Are you bulking? You have a serious amount of fat in meals 1,4 and 6 and overall. Is this intentional?
    No I am not bulking. I am currently at 260lbs, so I didn't think it was that bad. In meal 1 I know need to drop the eggs and just do egg white, meal 4 I know the Jennie O turkey burgers are not the greatest, and meal 6 the chicken is not the greatest its just a convenience.

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think you would be better off tweaking your meals a bit into a 40/40/20.

No I am not bulking. I am currently at 260lbs, so I didn't think it was that bad. In meal 1 I know need to drop the eggs and just do egg white, meal 4 I know the Jennie O turkey burgers are not the greatest, and meal 6 the chicken is not the greatest its just a convenience.
    What bf are you? You are maintaining then?

The issue with high fat content in individual meals arises when said meals are carb heavy (relatively speaking). You are more likely to store the fat as, well, fat.

As slfmade a 40/40/20 (reduce fat in favour of carbs) may suit you better. On a carb based meals I would rarely have more than 10g fat in the same meal.

What bf are you? You are maintaining then?

The issue with high fat content in individual meals arises when said meals are carb heavy (relatively speaking). You are more likely to store the fat as, well, fat.

As slfmade a 40/40/20 (reduce fat in favour of carbs) may suit you better. On a carb based meals I would rarely have more than 10g fat in the same meal.
    Thanks for the help. My diet is the one thing I do not have down perfect. I read a lot on it, but can't seem to eat the right stuff. Still trying to get over the whole taste good problem. Kind of rationalize it to myself. For example....Turkey breakfast sausage is better than regular pork sausage. However no sausage at all is the best for you.

JAB1 is offline Member
    casein and 2 tblspn natty pb before bed for me

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Thanks for the help. My diet is the one thing I do not have down perfect. I read a lot on it, but can't seem to eat the right stuff. Still trying to get over the whole taste good problem. Kind of rationalize it to myself. For example....Turkey breakfast sausage is better than regular pork sausage. However no sausage at all is the best for you.
    This is the biggest problem for most of us. It takes a while to change our relationship with food. Step one is eating better. Hopefully you change your habits enough to see results. The results will usually make it easier to tighten the diet further. Do that cycle a couple of times and your diet should be pretty good.

It takes a while before you can just stop caring about taste and switch over to chicken, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, brown rice, oatmeal, broccoli, asparagus, almonds and protein shakes. That is all I eat when I am on my diet. All day, every day. Actually, I just switched from my, uh, "three week holiday bulking diet" back to my normal diet this morning. Mmmmmm, chicken.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    diet is so so so important. my diet was crappy and then I joined this forum and dialed in my diet with help from members and staff and lost 35 lbs in 5 months and kept off for the rest of the year.

i had 2 oz of steak before bed...slows down digestion when I started a year ago in January....sometimes, i would just go to bed earlier. late nite snacking was a bad habit for me...now, I don't even think about food before bed!!!

After looking over your diet I feel like you should space some food out so you're eating more throughout the day instead of big meals. At breakfast you're taking in 700+ calories. And a few of the meals you're taking 50, 60 and 70g of protein in 1 sitting. You're a big dude, but I know my body I feel super bloated if I take in any more then 40g in a sitting.

I'd try lowering your fat, taking in better carbs (not a fan of peas) and space out your meals more. It may help the late night cravings and you won't feel so bloated.

After looking over your diet I feel like you should space some food out so you're eating more throughout the day instead of big meals. At breakfast you're taking in 700+ calories. And a few of the meals you're taking 50, 60 and 70g of protein in 1 sitting. You're a big dude, but I know my body I feel super bloated if I take in any more then 40g in a sitting.

I'd try lowering your fat, taking in better carbs (not a fan of peas) and space out your meals more. It may help the late night cravings and you won't feel so bloated.
    What do you mean space them out more? You mean eat more frequently with smaller meals?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    This is the biggest problem for most of us. It takes a while to change our relationship with food. Step one is eating better. Hopefully you change your habits enough to see results. The results will usually make it easier to tighten the diet further. Do that cycle a couple of times and your diet should be pretty good.

It takes a while before you can just stop caring about taste and switch over to chicken, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, brown rice, oatmeal, broccoli, asparagus, almonds and protein shakes. That is all I eat when I am on my diet. All day, every day. Actually, I just switched from my, uh, "three week holiday bulking diet" back to my normal diet this morning. Mmmmmm, chicken.
    Yeah its a big problem with me. Taste is a must. I feel like I do really well eating bland for about 3-4 weeks and then its like I go insane and I have to have something that taste good...most of the time that is something bad for me. I am working on it. If I could get my diet dialed in I am sure I would see a lot better results in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by girlgymrat View Post
    diet is so so so important. my diet was crappy and then I joined this forum and dialed in my diet with help from members and staff and lost 35 lbs in 5 months and kept off for the rest of the year.

i had 2 oz of steak before bed...slows down digestion when I started a year ago in January....sometimes, i would just go to bed earlier. late nite snacking was a bad habit for me...now, I don't even think about food before bed!!!
    I am working on getting it dialed in. I wish I had the money to hire a nutritionist and a cook. LOL!!! Just tell me what to eat and have somebody cook it for me.

What do you mean space them out more? You mean eat more frequently with smaller meals?
    Yes. Instead of having a meal with 60g of protein, make that into 2 meals with 30g of protein. Your body will digest it a lot easier, you'll be eating more frequently and it may subside your cravings at night.

Switch up your pre-workout meal too. I can't see you having that much energy with eating that. For example, I'm on a cut right now and I'm taking in close to 100g of carbs pre-workout alone with 30g of protein and less then 10g of fat. The apple is a simple carb, you need a complex carb pre-workout like oats.

Yes. Instead of having a meal with 60g of protein, make that into 2 meals with 30g of protein. Your body will digest it a lot easier, you'll be eating more frequently and it may subside your cravings at night.

Switch up your pre-workout meal too. I can't see you having that much energy with eating that. For example, I'm on a cut right now and I'm taking in close to 100g of carbs pre-workout alone with 30g of protein and less then 10g of fat. The apple is a simple carb, you need a complex carb pre-workout like oats.
    Thank you for the clarification. I will try the oats before workout in lieu of an apple or something else. Energy on the other hand is usually not an issue for me. Whether I am on extremely low carbs or high carbs. I never tell a difference in my workouts.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    You got some good advice re diet.
    To answer your original question- to solve late night sweet tootg cravings with almost no impact on your macros sugar free jello works.
    You could also try fat free /sugar free instant pudding made with almond milk or skim milk. Trow in a scoop of protein powder when u make it as well. Obviously more impact and needs to be factored into daily macros. These may help.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    You got some good advice re diet.
    To answer your original question- to solve late night sweet tootg cravings with almost no impact on your macros sugar free jello works.
    You could also try fat free /sugar free instant pudding made with almond milk or skim milk. Trow in a scoop of protein powder when u make it as well. Obviously more impact and needs to be factored into daily macros. These may help.
    Sounds like a good idea. Have you seen that new protein pudding advertised in Flex magazine? Can't remember who makes it.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ i just mke my own...i remember Stallone's supp line had that - but i think they went out of business. Im sure someone makes it and sells it ridiculously overpriced! *L*

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I am working on getting it dialed in. I wish I had the money to hire a nutritionist and a cook. LOL!!! Just tell me what to eat and have somebody cook it for me.
    well, u have met your match....I would like some one to cook it for me and chew it too!!!!

Started cleaning up the diet and getting back int he gym after the holidays. I put on 15 pounds from Thanksgiving to the New Year. Checked my weight yesterday and I had lost 7.8 pounds since starting back January 9th. I know alot of it is water weight but at least that scale number went down.

Well the weight loss has stopped. I am stuck now at about 10 pounds and have been for two weeks. I am eating basically between 2200-2500 calories depending on what kind of meat I eat that day and the carbs I have. I am up to 30 minutes(walk/jog for 15/15 minutes) of cardio 5 times a week plus weight training 6 times a week.

Am I not eating enough or will it just take my metabolism some time to kick in? I am eating 5 times a day plus my pre/post workout shakes. I have cut down on the alcohol MAJORLY. So I am just baffled at why the pounds are not just melting off.

What's your current diet, with macros?

Current weight and bodyfat?

What's your current diet, with macros?

Current weight and bodyfat?
    My current weight is 259.9 lbs. I am 6' tall. I don't know my BF% as of right now. Below is a link in the Nutrition forum where I posted some pics. They are down towards the bottom.

I log all of my food on bodybugg. If you want I can PM you my log in and you can look back at it.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...e#.TyK-_YEyGSo

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    I'd suggest that you need to carb cycle if fat loss is the goal.. the issue is with your body you'll lose some of that muscle as well , but will be much more cut.. just a thought..

To change things up, your body is resistant to any additional fat loss, so changing the diet completely will really throw it for a loop, then you can return to your current diet after 2 weeks or so..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

How much, and what, alcohol do you drink on an average week? And how 'clean' are the calories you are taking in?

I think 2500 cals is a pretty good start and I would suggest the following:-

Meals 1, pre workout and post workout 60g carbs 45g protein

The other 3 meals your only carbs should come from fibrous carbs and lean protein sources.

Fats should be divided up between 5 meals (not PWO) at about 10g per meal.

That's a fairly simple to look at equation. But you'll need to find the foods to fit those macro's.

Is your cardio post lifting?

oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Lose the processed foods - the Kraft cheese, Jennie-o turkey, broccoli and cheese steamers, Tyson chicken strips, Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage, etc. Just cuz it say's Healthy, or Low fat, or Lean on the label - doesn't mean it is.
    I do scrambled egg whites at night, seems to work okay for me. Lean chicken breast, with some red-hot sauce is good too.

How much, and what, alcohol do you drink on an average week? And how 'clean' are the calories you are taking in?

I think 2500 cals is a pretty good start and I would suggest the following:-

Meals 1, pre workout and post workout 60g carbs 45g protein

The other 3 meals your only carbs should come from fibrous carbs and lean protein sources.

Fats should be divided up between 5 meals (not PWO) at about 10g per meal.

That's a fairly simple to look at equation. But you'll need to find the foods to fit those macro's.

Is your cardio post lifting?
    I am typically a beer man. I do not drink during the week at all. And ever since football season I have been throwing the beers back pretty heavily. You will probably not believe me, but if me and the guys started watching football say around noon, by the end of the night Saturday I would say I have had a case of beer if not more. On a Sunday, just messing around the house I would drink probably about 12-18. So yes I know that is a hell of alot of beer. SO LET THE CHASTISING BEGIN. LOL!!! In the past 4 weeks though I have only had 5 beers total and one Crown/7-Up. I realize the alcohol is my problem, and that is why I am cutting it out. Eventually I will cut it out completely, but I might have a beer or mixed drink with the wife when we go eat. But there will be no more just sitting around drinking anymore.

My cardio is post lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    Lose the processed foods - the Kraft cheese, Jennie-o turkey, broccoli and cheese steamers, Tyson chicken strips, Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage, etc. Just cuz it say's Healthy, or Low fat, or Lean on the label - doesn't mean it is.
    I do scrambled egg whites at night, seems to work okay for me. Lean chicken breast, with some red-hot sauce is good too.
    I have already cut out the turkey sausage. I need to cut the cheese I know. The Tyson strips I tasted one night at a buddies house and they were great. So I bought some, then I did the macros on it and realize it was not good. Finishing off what I bought and then not buying anymore.

How do you get over the lack of taste in your food. I gotta have some taste or else I will go insane. I have done it several times. Go great for 3-4 months then bam, just get so frustrated I eat like crazy. Since March of 09 I have went from 272-225lbs. gained almost all of it back, dropped back down to 235lbs. Went back up, etc... Started TRT in April 2011 and I am at 260lbs. right now. Granted when I first started working out in March of 09' I was 272lbs. at 33%BF. When i got down to 225lbs. I was at 17%BF. So I know that I have put on alot of muscle since March of 09', because back then I couldn't even bench 250lbs one time. This Halloween 2011 I put up 405 for one rep. So I know I have added some muscle, but I just don't look the way I want to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information