dooie is offline Senior Member

Some help understanding TDEE and how to calculate etc

Gday guys so I just need some help calculating my TDEE and BMR, an actual formula.
    Could you please tell me how to use them also, I'm just figuring out cardio and calorie dificient diet, a simple example would be good,

cheers

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    there is a stickie at the top of the diet section that is exactly that. A formula.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...gy-Expenditure here's a link

joshh is offline Associate Member
    There is a sticky on how to work out your TDEE:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...e#.Tw5nQ_k3g8k

dooie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbody66
    there is a stickie at the top of the diet section that is exactly that. A formula.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...gy-Expenditure here's a link
    Sorry The stickies are in a different section on the iPhone app! Cheers!

thedawg is offline New Member
    What formula do you guys use for this?

I noticed from reading through narks sticky that he recommends using katch mcardle instead of hb for lbm.

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedawg
    What formula do you guys use for this?

I noticed from reading through narks sticky that he recommends using katch mcardle instead of hb for lbm.
    I think majority uses the Katch-McArdle because is more accurate!!!

Ah okay. Just tha ive noticed a few references to the HB formula and also been noticing people posting tdee equations including age etc.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    katch mcardle by far the best IMO.. bases bmr and tdee on lbm which is active tissue.. fat is not active therefore shouldnt be included when calculating necessary cals

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    katch mcardle by far the best IMO.. bases bmr and tdee on lbm which is active tissue.. fat is not active therefore shouldnt be included when calculating necessary cals
    This is what i though ever since reading narks sticky however it seems like most people mostly use the HB formula as referenced above?
    I also however that in the same thread nark also promotes carb meals throughout the day even late on whereas other really try and avoid this. Maybe just different peoples opinions on what works best for them.

as far as tdee goes logic leads me to believe in the katch mcardle over any other method ...

as far as carbs all day.. ive heard of Nark but dont know him personally.. but from what ive heard from people i do know, if he said it ...believe it.. thus far ive only tried one method (carbs in am and around workout) so i cant say from experience..

Yeah its in narks thread. Eitherhimself or nova make references to implementing some carbs knto all or nearly all meals.

The katch mcardle formla can also be found on the first page of that sticky.

well for me technically i suppose i do eat carbs in all my meals..

meal 1ats
    meal 2:yam
    meal 3ats
    meal 4:broccoli
    meal 5:asparagus
    meal 6:cott cheese..

i just focus my "starchy" carbs in meals 1, pre w/o, and PWO

Very similar to myself. Although i have some rice or oats in meal 5 of 6 and just the carbs from the cottage cheese in my last meal.T

I just had a look back at that thread and theres a diet which nova claims to be pretty much his ideal on page 4 of it. I go along the same lines as that now, same for the tdee. I dont know much about the two guys in that thread but they seem to be quite well respected.

page 4 huh? ill have to check that out..

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Nark knows his stuff, for sure, but again everyone responds differently, and you don't know how your body will respond to different approaches if you don't change things up and approach things differently from time to time. However, once you find something that works for you we are all likely to stick with it and preach it as the solution. I can promise you though that are bodies change, and what used to work might stop working and what used to not work might start. Just some thoughts.

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yes I agree- these formulas are just an estimate. As ur body changes then u will have to change ur diet. As far as nutrient timing goes, people respond to different things. My body leans out best when I eat carbs when my body really needs them (breakfast and pre/post workout). Some friends I have are lean as hell and have carbs in every meal or they will melt away- losing lean mass. Start off thinking about carbs like gasoline for a car- and along the way u will learn a ton about ur body

Thread Information