aj954 is offline New Member

18 year old need help with diet/workouts

hey all, new to this website so just wanna introduce my self and say hello to all active members on this site . Anyway i need advice for weight lifting gains/ bulking up.

To begin with i recently gained a lot of mass in a 6-8 month period. went from 102 pounds to 138 pounds(i am only 5'7) in 10 months. increased my bench from 45 lbs to 185(currently , i rep it about 3 times no help). ANyway im asking what else i can do to go up in my excerises. Steriods are not a option for me considering my adolscentness and expense. I know diet is extremely important and i was wondering what do people suggest i could eat thats quick and healthy and high in protein . I tried canned chicken/tuna , but that honestly taste like shit and to high in sodium.

My usal diet consist of this:
    7:00AM usally a bananna/milk
    10:00AM: pbj+nutella sandwhich
    1:10Pm Sandwhich (usally turkey on white bread :/)
    5:00 PM: usally naother sandwhich with aprotein shake( after the gym)
    8:00: dinner(last meal) chicken/fish, corn/potatoe, and green beans always.

Im mainly wondering what i could do to change my diet in order to lose some weight but maintain a high protein diet.

In addition im wondering what chest exersises to add/change, my workouts include:
    Bench press: warm up with 85,than go up to 135lbs,15lbs5,175,lbsand finish with 185
    Dumbell press/incline press(toghter): usally 35lbs, 40lbs, 45lbs, and 50lbs
    Flys
    Decline: (same weights as bench)
    Incline 45lbs,65,and finally 85lbs)
    Wide press grip: (180,225,270)
    and finish off with dips.

Thats pretty much my chest work out im looking to change, as i no longer get any soreness from this workout and i fal like i can no longer go up. Thanks a ton guys =)

To conclude it, i am really just asking for help for what my diet should beand any workouts you recommend and any supplement that i could take that would give me an advtange( no steriods ).

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome.

What is your specific goal in what timeframe?
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

something else to reply, i know their alot of nutriental diets ( stickies) on this , but im looking for more a personal one. as consuming 6k calories for my body type is not to well of idea, already got a beer belly :/

slimmerme, pretty much before i leave for college which is 4 months. and my goal is to put up bench 225

The stickies help to bring you up to speed. The personal input helps once you start to engage with others to tweak what you are doing. And if you have a beer belly? then I would suggest you replace those sandwiches you are eating with more nutrient rich foods. What do you feel you could replace them with? any ideas?
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by aj954 View Post
    slimmerme, pretty much before i leave for college which is 4 months. and my goal is to put up bench 225
    We need your weight goals and BF goals too please
    Author Unknown

BrownGirl is offline Female Member
    First of all, welcome. Yeah I agree with Slimmer, get rid of the sandwiches...especially the white bread. For your carbs, try and stick to oats, sweet potatoes or brown rice exclusively. I would also definitely take out the nutella. I love that stuff too, but can't have it anymore. As far as protein choices, try ground beef (93% or better - I do the 96% and drain it again). Also try different recipes with the chicken (not the canned stuff) and the tuna.

brown girl, i agree sandwhiches are what i majorly what i eat. but its hard not to considering im still i nhgihschool and my diet consist of quick food. and nutella is the love of my life, but i agree its got go . and my weight goals is to be 145, but closeer to 3% body fat rather than my 12%.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Aj wats up bro welcome to the forum! First off congrats on making the wise decision to leave steroids alone youre def way too young and inexperienced.. Excellent job man

Diet-wise like slim said the stickies bring u up to speed.. Read them over so u gain an understanding of what a caloric surplus(bulking) will do when done properly as well as a caloric deficit (cutting)..

Also chek out the stickies on total daily energy expenditure(tdee).. This is something u will be able to use for a long time to come..

1.we need ur bodyfat%.. figure out where u can get it done and do it.. The sooner the better.. Ur gonna need it to establish ur tdee as well as monitor ur progress.. Ur whole diet is based on ur tdee...

2.u said u have a beer belly and i dont recall u mentioning anything about CARDIO... Yes ur gonna wanna have it in ur arsenal for ur war against fat! Once we know ur bf% we can see how vigorous u need to be with ur cardio schedule.. I currently do 45 mins in the am on an empty stomach 5-6 days/week.. Doing it on an empty stomach is called fasted cardio and it will really expedite the fatloss

In the mean time if u could take a pic of urself without a shirt on and post it we could ballpark u a bf% to get u started..

Also what time to u lift? Need this info so we can schedule the majority of ur carbs around ur workout.. This will give u fuel to workout on as well as nutrients after to assist in recovery..

Ur diet needs alot of work.. Looks like ur not eating enuff as well as the wrong kind of food

To get u started drop the sandwiches..A short example of a decent diet looks like this:

Meal1:1whole egg, 5egg whites
    1/2cup oatmeal

(PREWORKOUT)Meal2:5oz chikn breast
    2cups broccoli
    4oz yam

(POSTWORKOUT)Meal3:2scoops whey
    1/2cup oatmeal

Meal4: 6oz lean beef
    2cups broccoli

Meal5:5oz chikn
    10asparagus spears

Meal6:1cup lowfat cottage cheese
    2tbs natural peanut butter

Notice how the carbs r focused around workout and eliminated afterwards.. This will help u burn fat.. Also everything is simple typically single ingredient food items.. Just to give u a general idea of what a good diet looks like.. Keep in mind things vary from person to person and this is purely hypothetical.. but its a concept u could model until we get ur bodyfat%...

One thing that can change is ur carbs.. To lose fat try them in meal1, preworkout, postworkout only..

The only carbs u wanna eat for now is oatmeal(NOT instant, flavored), yams, brown rice.. And thats it

Now get that bodyfat%

405, thanks for the advice! will have all the info you requested by tommrow =) thanks a ton for your kindess

ur welcome man

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Welcome bro- like 405 said you are not eating enough. Read the stickies and follow the outline for diet. You need protein in every meal it's very important

hey 405, just came back from gym, didnt get a chance to get the pic. i will soon though. body fat % is 10.66%. and just for the record after the work out drank a protein shake and then got home ate piece of chicken and whole weat pasta =)
    Last edited by aj954; 01-23-2012 at 05:19 PM.

thats good u got ur lifting in and had protein PWO but ur gonna wanna include a carb to go with it.. i find it hard to believe if ur indeed 10.66%bf that u have a beer belly where did u get ur bf chekd at? was it dun with calipers? and if so how many sites did they check?

if indeed 10.66% then:
    138 x .1066 =14.71
    138 - 14.71 = 123.29lbs
    123.29 x .4536 = 55.92kg(LBM)
    (55.92 x 21.6) + 370 = 1578cals(BMR)
    1578 x 1.55(5days/week multiplier) = 2446cals(TDEE)

with that the question to answer is do u wanna drop fat or bulk?? now i know u mentioned beer belly so pics would be a good thing..this way we can see how accurate ur bf% is..or get an idea.. if ur gonna wanna cut some fat then u prob want to run about 1800 cals/day..

if u wanna bulk then id suggest 2700-2800 to be safe and see how u do..

the 10%bf is throwing me off for beer belly

Thread Information