ramacher is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Fasting beneficial?

I was reading an article of how fasting one day a week provides a whole array of benefits? Would this be good when your cutting down? Obviously not right now because im in PCT.

You should post up the article so we can have a look. Too many variables to just say yes or no IMO.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would like to see what you were reading.

I personally would never fast for a full day especially not once a week

Blog Entries
    ok I will find it.

Blog Entries
    http://getthisripped.com/diet/interm...to-lose-weight. Don't know anything about this source, it is not scientific or anything was researching different delt exercises and this was one of the links on the page and it caught my interest.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Read into intermittent fasting on lean gains dot com

Fasting the lean gains way (16 hrs fast, 8 hrs eat everyday) has a great host of benefits when trying to loose weight especially.

I will probably be doing an IF diet soon

joshh is offline Associate Member
    even whilst doing IF, it's recommended to do a complete 24hr fast every now and then

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    even whilst doing IF, it's recommended to do a complete 24hr fast every now and then
    By whom?

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    ----
    Last edited by SexySweetheart; 02-11-2012 at 01:01 AM.

joshh is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    By whom?
    I remember reading it on leangains, it's called ADF (alternate day fasting).

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I have been experimenting with this myself. The last two Sundays I have done 24 hours Fasts. I will withhold my opinion on it for another week or two.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    I have been experimenting with this myself. The last two Sundays I have done 24 hours Fasts. I will withhold my opinion on it for another week or two.

very interesting.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    I was reading an article of how fasting one day a week provides a whole array of benefits? Would this be good when your cutting down? Obviously not right now because im in PCT.
    To a certain degree, you have to be careful with these articles. Most if not all are geared up for the average joe off the street. Not for weight lifters or body builders. We are different. With caloric requirements at almost twice that of JOTS (joe off the street), and the goals we impose upon ourselves, (anabolic vs catabolic state), fasting flies contrary to what we are trying to do. For example, by fasting one day a week, this would mean we are in a catabolic state for aproximately 14% of the time (1/7). Muscle pretty much does not have much of an opportunity to grow during a catabolic state.

Just something to think about....

PS. You did say when you are cutting down. hmmm.... yeah, well... just forget what i just said.
    Last edited by Times Roman; 01-23-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: need better eye glasses when reading OP's question

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy4mySweetheart View Post
    I do 24 hour fasting 2x a week
    I LOVE IT!!!
    The days I IF I feel very energetic, motivated to stay busy, supper empowered from my self-control and I drop weight these days

I did a lot of research on it before I started and didn’t quite buy into the fact that I could pull it off 12hours never mind 24 2x a week! but its easy!
    The research I found was motivation for me, I found a bunch of supporting data/studies concerning mass amounts of benefits, women respond a lill diff to it though and that why I chose the 24hour period.

FYI...you may also wanna check out Ice water therapy if you’re interested in cutting. 30min ice pack on back of neck or ice bath...
    I have been looking into this for a lill bit and plan on adding it to my sched this Monday
    I heard that also cools off the libido when yer partner says "not tonight babe!"

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    To a certain degree, you have to be careful with these articles. Most if not all are geared up for the average joe off the street. Not for weight lifters or body builders. We are different. With caloric requirements at almost twice that of JOTS (joe off the street), and the goals we impose upon ourselves, (anabolic vs catabolic state), fasting flies contrary to what we are trying to do. For example, by fasting one day a week, this would mean we are in a catabolic state for aproximately 14% of the time (1/7). Muscle pretty much does not have much of an opportunity to grow during a catabolic state.

Just something to think about....

PS. You did say when you are cutting down. hmmm.... yeah, well... just forget what i just said.
    As a blanket statement this is completely false.

As a blanket statement this is completely false.
    Ok.. i'll concede. but if no protein intake, how else would you describe it?

Your have a healthy pool of amino acids stored as reserves. This pool will not deplete itself in a 24 hour period in most situations. Now if this pool is already compromised catabolism could occur. Doing 2 hours of cardio on your fasting day and/or eating severely under TDEE the week leading up to it could make fasting a bad idea as well in terms of LBM loss.

That is why I mentioned "as a blanket statement". I will have more extensive opinions I am sure after I do it a bit more and then can relay first hand experience which I believe is always better.

Your have a healthy pool of amino acids stored as reserves. This pool will not deplete itself in a 24 hour period in most situations. Now if this pool is already compromised catabolism could occur. Doing 2 hours of cardio on your fasting day and/or eating severely under TDEE the week leading up to it could make fasting a bad idea as well in terms of LBM loss.

That is why I mentioned "as a blanket statement". I will have more extensive opinions I am sure after I do it a bit more and then can relay first hand experience which I believe is always better.
    I'll defer to that then and do some more reading...

thanks!

If it makes you feel any better my initial thoughts were much like yours. It was only after doing some extensive reading on it I decided to give it a try.

touche!

amino acid reserves. I know it takes several hours to purge the residuals from a last meal. See. i learn something new all the time.

old dogs can learn new tricks

Blog Entries
    So a 24 hour fast is okay during cutting?

Blog Entries
    FireGuy, do you need to do 24 hour fasts lol. Look at those arms!

So a 24 hour fast is okay during cutting?
    I am not willing to go there just yet. I think it may be more effective as on off season method to stay lean. Give me a couple more weeks of doing it while monitoring my body composition and I will have a better view on how my body resonded to it. I am 13 weeks out from my next show so this has been a bit rough.

FireGuy, do you need to do 24 hour fasts lol. Look at those arms!
    I dont need to by any means but I am willing to try new ideas and see if there are more effective ways of doing things. Thanks BTW.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    I have had success with IF. My fast period was for 16hrs and feed 8 hours. Kept alot of muscle as quad and bicep measurements had very little change. I have never tried a full 24hr fast as part of a cut though. I don't know how you would lay out pre fast day or post fast. I'd imagine lean red meat as last meal would be beneficial, along with BCAA's during the fast period.

Thread Information