johnyz333 is offline Junior Member

Long time member, first time poster; Diet Critique Needed

Firstly, I need to make mention of the awesome help the users give on these forums- hats off to you guys.

I posted on 'the ask GB anything thread' and was advised to start my own thread. So the following is a copy and paste of GB's reply to my post (GB's reply in bold);

Originally Posted by johnyz333
    Awesome thread, been reading it for hours !
    Thanks brother!

Ok I have been reading all the cutting stickies and I think I have put together a reasonable diet . So looking for some critiquing and further advice..

Height: 5 10
    BF: 20-25%
    Weight: 99kg
    Goal: 12-13% BF

Been training for years but I tend to take months off when I get lazy. So I would say I'm in average shape.

Time to stop that behavior and get consistent, because discipline and consistency is the REAL key in this game. Give me a guy with a perfect diet who isn't consistent, and a guy who has an ok diet , just enough to do what he needs, but he's consistent - and you can guess who i'd put my money on. Agree, im in it for the long haul now.

Based on the Harris Benedict Formula my BMR is 1990 cals multiply by activity level (1.55)= 3000 cals. I have subtracted 500 cals as I'm wanting to cut, so target cals is 2500.[/QUOTE]

Based on my owon calculations, I have your TDEE closer to 2500 calories, meaning you'd need to reduce further. What do your days look like? This is why I don't like the formulas... the activity multipliers are way too subjective. Hmmm, yer im kinda new to this formula stuff. I have however been eating currently at around the 2350 cal mark to allow for any mistakes I have been making. My days now are quite full on; Mon- Crossfit, Tue- Gym & Crossfit, Wed Gym & Crossfit, Thursday- Gym & Crossfit, Friday Gym- Crossfit. Every second sat- Crossfit. Sunday- Off. So you think my cals should be more along the 2000 mark?

Feel free to start as you plan, but monitor closely and be prepared to adjust down if you're not consistently dropping weight.

Ratio is 50p/ 30c/ 20f

My diet is as follows;

7:30am: Meal 1: 6 egg whites, 1 cup oats, 1 scoop whey. 58p/57c/5.5f

I'd swap the whey with casein or a protein blend (my preference). ok will do.

10:30am Meal 2: Oven Roast Turkey Breast Slices, 1 cup brown rice, 1 egg white 57p/46c/7f
    The turkey breast sounds like cold cuts/deli meat, is that the case? I wouldn't rely on it as a protein source tbh. It's a highly processed sub par source IMO. Yes I realised this yesterday, and quickly cut it out. This has been replaced now with 2 cans tuna in springwater

12:30pm Workout : Weights

1:30pm PWO: 2 scoops whey, l glutamine, BCAAs 47p/2c/1f

3:00pm PPWO: chicken Breast, 1 cup brown rice 57p/46c/8f
    How soon is the PPWO meal after the PWO?

5:30pm Workout 2: Crossfit ( High Intensity) BCAAS during session

6:45pm PWO: 2 scoops Whey 47p/2c/1f
    Any weight training, or just cardio/aerobic type work? It does involve weights but varies from day to day. Weights are normally compound exercises like, squating, dead lifting, clean and jerk, push presses, olympic lifts, etc. Its quite high intensity, real heart pumping stuff.

8:00pm PPWO: Chicken Breast, Broccoli/ Asparagus. Tablespoon Olive Oil 53p/4c/19.5f

I do weights 4 times weekly and crossfit 5 times weekly.
    Noted. We may want to add some carbs before crossfit. My last carb meal is generally 2 hrs before crossfit, is this enough time in between?

My questions are;

Does diet look ok?
    Depends on a few factors above, but it's ok. May want to add a bedtime meal. If i have a caesin shake, does that come off my macros?

Are my meal placed correctly given my 2 workouts?
    Depends on what crossfit entails, and also i'd like to see time of day for each meal. Crossfit is real high intensity strength and conditioning type training. Plenty of running, push ups, chin ups, skipping, deadlifting, squatting, etc etc. 30-45 min sessions, not including warm up and stretching at the end.

On my none weights days should I still be eating that much carbs?
    I wouldn't

On my days off (weekend), do I need to cut out the shakes? And if so do I replace those macros with whole foods?
    No need to cut them out, but I would replace the whey with a protein blend Any recommendations for a protein blend?

Is 1-2 cheat meals weekly ok?
    Depends on how quickly you want to reach your goals. Personally, I wouldn't do ANY cheat meals for at least 12 weeks.

As my body fat drops, do I then need to drop back calories aswell.
    Not necessarily. Adjustments should only be made when you stop making progress. That doesn't always mean calorie reduction. It can be an increase in cardio volume, and/or an increase in cardio intensity. Shorter rest periods between sets, etc. All of these changes will have an impact, no matter how small

Thanks In advance, it's much appreciated.
    No problem, but please do me a favor - instead of replying within this thread, start a new thread (you can copy and paste this entire post) as I try to keep this thread clear of becoming a personal consultation thread. Since you're new, and you seem like a good guy, I didn't yell at you! Cheers man, hats off to you sir, great asset to online communities such as this. Thanks again.
    Last edited by johnyz333; 02-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.

hex
    hex is offline Associate Member
    are you doing 20 min crossfit classes or full on WOD everyday? if its the later i would up your calories a bit or your gonna dip into LBM

Quote Originally Posted by hex
    are you doing 20 min crossfit classes or full on WOD everyday? if its the later i would up your calories a bit or your gonna dip into LBM
    Full WOD man. How many calories should I up it to? Also should I have carbs in my ppwo meal after crossfit?

If im upping calories, should they be protein, carbs or fat?
    Last edited by johnyz333; 02-29-2012 at 10:29 PM.

hex
    carbs post by the looks of your diet, WOD can get pretty taxing wanna feed your body after that for sure

carbs post by the looks of your diet, WOD can get pretty taxing wanna feed your body after that for sure
    Lol your not wrong, last night was 7 rds of 400m run & 29 60kg squats. WOD took 29min.

Ok I'll add some carbs in with my meal. Does it matter though that the carbs will be eaten at night? I go to be 2 hrs later...

hex
    nope your body does not care bed time to any other time nor does it adhear to the same 24 hour cycle as we do. most numbers are derived from a weekly need and divided by 7 lol so a few hours before is ok. i used to eat 15 min before bed and i cut 35 pounds with no exercise. and keep your carbs clean, brn rice sweet pot and oats

nope your body does not care bed time to any other time nor does it adhear to the same 24 hour cycle as we do. most numbers are derived from a weekly need and divided by 7 lol so a few hours before is ok. i used to eat 15 min before bed and i cut 35 pounds with no exercise. and keep your carbs clean, brn rice sweet pot and oats
    Hmmm ok, so it's just another myth then. Cheers man.

Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja
    I like everything the way it looks with GB's corrections... looking good man.... get it done!

I must say at 2500cal I'm feeling quite depleted. I'm concerned that crossfit is resulting in LBM burning.

I should also add I was a victim of very low calorie diets in the past and lost alot of LBM as a result.

Hopefully GB will chime in soon....

Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja
    I'm 28 6'1 about 105kg at around 24% BF right now with a TDEE of approx 3500 and I am eating around 2200 cal each day trying to cut back down to were I was and I'm not loosing any LBM... I can actually notice my LM coming back and my strength increasing...

you at 2500 cal is no where near the danger zone for loosing LM, unless you choose to eat very poor, which you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi
    I'm 28 6'1 about 105kg at around 24% BF right now with a TDEE of approx 3500 and I am eating around 2200 cal each day trying to cut back down to were I was and I'm not loosing any LBM... I can actually notice my LM coming back and my strength increasing...

you at 2500 cal is no where near the danger zone for loosing LM, unless you choose to eat very poor, which you're not.
    It's funny though cause in the morning I feel very tight, but as the day goes on I start feeling deflated...

You still think im safe at 2500cals considering I do crossfit aswell which is high intensity stength and conditioning/ cardio training??

Ok lost 2.5kgs last week. Definately feel the weight loss around my mid section. However still a bit concerned about dipping into my LBM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnyz333 View Post
    Ok lost 2.5kgs last week. Definately feel the weight loss around my mid section. However still a bit concerned about dipping into my LBM.
    Dude if ur eatn 2500 cals at 50%pro 30%carb 20%fat ur LBm is gonna be fine .. Like gb said u may still be a little high if anything.. That puts u @:
    312g pro
    188g carbs
    56g fat

I started my cut with 3100cal tdee at 96.6kg and 22% bf and have successfully cut down to @10%bf eating 2200cals with no loss LBM to speak of in 5months..

That crossfit sounds pretty tuff.. Like a p90x style workout? All my cardio was elliptical in the am fasted with a little HIIT here and there..

My point is u dont have to kill urself everyday with cardio to lose fat im not saying dont do cardio im just sayn u dont have to kill urself. Everday..
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 03-08-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks for replying man. Crossfit is really high intensity strength and conditioning cardio training. I'm actually doing it 6 times per week now and 4 gym sessions. This is why I'm nervous about burning LBM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Full WOD man. How many calories should I up it to? Also should I have carbs in my ppwo meal after crossfit?

If im upping calories, should they be protein, carbs or fat?
    Lol your not wrong, last night was 7 rds of 400m run & 29 60kg squats. WOD took 29min.

Ok I'll add some carbs in with my meal. Does it matter though that the carbs will be eaten at night? I go to be 2 hrs later...
    Normally, I wouldn't recommend carbs 'at night'. Not because it's nighttime, but rather based on times of low activity, or in the case of sleeping, complete inactivity. If you worked at night, you'd be eating carbs at night.

Given the intense activity you go through late in the day, i'd definitely have some carbs PWO - maybe 30g or so, nothing too crazy. Our goal here is still to drop bodyfat, right?

I must say at 2500cal I'm feeling quite depleted. I'm concerned that crossfit is resulting in LBM burning.

I should also add I was a victim of very low calorie diets in the past and lost alot of LBM as a result.

Hopefully GB will chime in soon....
    At 20-25% bodyfat, you have no reason to worry about losing LBM, provided you're getting sufficient protein (you are) and not doing extreme intense exercise fasted (you're not). You have plenty of bodyfat to burn, and your body has no reason to dip into LBM unless you're going at it all wrong.

How is your strength on lifts? Increasing? Decreasing? Staying the same?

Hey GB thanks for replying,

Goal is still definitely to drop body fat. The diet/ training is working, my top 2 abs are completely formed now; normally takes me a month. But in saying that I have never done a diet as precise as this and such intense cardio.

I initially dropped 2.5-3kg after first week, but my weight has now gone back up a kg or so now. This does not concern me, as I'm still getting leaner and it's prob a result of muscle memory.

Strength has most definitely increased, but more so my endurance.

Directly after crossfit I have 2 scoops of whey, and 1 hr after that I have 250gm chicken breast and a cup of broccoli. I thought I would throw in the staple carbs as they don't really count.

All in all GB, I'm feeling quite good. Just wanted some reassurance about my diet as its the first time I have thrown carbs in one; I know I know crazy! And I used to scratch my head thinking why am losing weight and getting soft!

Thread Information