Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    GEEZII is offline Junior Member

Quick protein shake help

Hey guys i was reading the "how to bulk" thread and saw this

"If you want to gain body weight, you must consume more calories than you burn. One pound of body weight is roughly equivalent to 3500 calories, so eating an extra 500 calories per day will cause you to gain one pound a week. Etc…."

Having said that, if i was to add 2 more protein shakes to my daily diet "1 shake = 55g protein, 77g carbs, 0g sugar, 600calories" could i put on roughly 2 pounds a week of fat/muscle ??

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Theoretically depending on wat ur diet consisted of other than this.. If ur tdee was 3000cals and u were already eating 3000 cals and added this on top then .. Yes its possible..

Personally i would shy away from drinking a protein shake that had 77g carbs ..

IMO Youd do better to get a protein shake that had 55g protein (or get that same amt from lean meat) and have 3/4cups oats... Twice per day.. On top of ur current diet.. But that would also depend on what ur diet lookd like other than this as far as whether the 2lbs was mostly fat or a fair amt LBM.. Also ur workout would play into this..

I get ya, well my tdee is 3394 and say my diet was pretty much perfect setup as per all the stickys i read on bulking. (i havnt started the diet yet)

in regards to oats i have read to stay away from the quick sachets. so how does everyone eat their oats, is it still milk/microwave?

i do 5 meals a day plus the protein shake straight after training. My training is 1.5 hours a day of heavy weights with no cardio

I cook my oats in boiling water and mix sugar free strawberry jam in.. 1cup oats plus 2 cups water = dun deal.. Other mix them uncooked in shaked either blended or whole... Some eat like cereal.. Id keep an eye on how much dairy u plan on eating..

U also wanna have oats pwo with ur protein shake (or sweet potato or brn rice) ..

Wat r ur stats?

I cook my oats in boiling water and mix sugar free strawberry jam in.. 1cup oats plus 2 cups water = dun deal.. Other mix them uncooked in shaked either blended or whole... Some eat like cereal.. Id keep an eye on how much dairy u plan on eating..

U also wanna have oats pwo with ur protein shake (or sweet potato or brn rice) ..

Wat r ur stats?

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you're TDEE is 3494 you would need 4494 to gain 2lbs a week. Unless you're already super thin and CAN'T gain weight, it would probably be better to just do 500calories above TDEE. This would ensure a leaner bulk if your macros were right. I agree with 405. Most of those mass builder protein shakes have a stupid amount of sugar (simple carbs)...you want to base your diet around complex carbs!

Post up your diet plan along with your stats and goals and we'll have a look at it and see if we can't tighten it up a bit.

I am 23
    Height - 183cm
    Weight - 83
    bf around 11-13%

i want to hit around 95kgs and then trim down to about 85-87 kg with low bf
    i was once 90kgs and then dropped to 75kg in 2months after a car accident and seem to be stuck on 83 and wont budge.

the protein i'm having says 0g sugar but who knows.

my diet is crap so i've been reading a lot to fix it up and start next week

MEAL 1
    1 packet ready oats, milk, 2 scoops of protein and a banana

MEAL 2
    2 cans of salmon and a cup of brown rice

MEAL 3
    300g of chicken breast grilled

MEAL 4 (before gym)
    1 can salmon
    1 wholemeal bread with natural p/b
    a handful of almonds

PWO
    a protein shake

MEAL 5
    either steak and mash potatoes or lamb cutlets with mash potato

BEFORE BED
    casein shake

i never realized how WRONG it was until i read quite a bit on this forum
    any help will be appreciated.

If you list the time on each of your meals that would help too.

Okay...I won't go into specifics yet, but I can tell already that your diet needs ALOT of work. To start we need you to list your total macros and calories for each meal and then your total daily macros and calories. Your macros are your fats/carbs/protein. This will take a little bit of effort on your part, but it's very important you have these. A proper macro split can make or break a diet!

MEAL 1 - 9:30
    MEAL 2 - 12pm
    MEAL 3 - 2:30
    MEAL 4 - 5:00
    PWO - 8pm
    MEAL 5 - 9:00
    BEFORE BED - 12am

ill have to find out the macros for my meals

Quote Originally Posted by GEEZII View Post
    MEAL 1 - 9:30
    MEAL 2 - 12pm
    MEAL 3 - 2:30
    MEAL 4 - 5:00
    PWO - 8pm
    MEAL 5 - 9:00
    BEFORE BED - 12am

ill have to find out the macros for my meals
    Since you're end goal is to cut I wouldn't add a stupid amount of calories. I've never really understood the concept of bulk and get fat then cut. I think you should be looking to gain lean body mass. So if I were you I would stick to 500 calories above your TDEE. Things to remember when working on your diet.

Carbs should be high quality complex carbs - Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Brown Rice, Oats (don't do INSTANT oats) old fashion or steel cut. There are much better quality sources of carbs than Bread.

Only use high quality Lean meat.

Fats should be kept to a min. Use sources such as: Avacado, Almonds, EVOO, EFA's, fish oil tabs. I use dairy very little, but when I do it's skim milk.

Make sure you're taking a good amount of complex carbs both pre and post workout.

Use some form of casein or slow digesting protein before bed.

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgeting, so maybe somebody else will chime in. For now keep these things in mind when putting your diet together.

Also keep in mind a "hand full" of almonds is not an accurate measure. Almonds are high in fat. Even though it's good fat, it can throw your macros way off if you're not careful. Buy a scale if you don't have one.

i just a thought it would be easier to bulk first and then cut rather than trying to build lean muscle.
    ok i'll stick to 500 for now, if i see its not really working ill try to up it to 1000

yeah i'm good with all those carbs so it shouldnt be a problem eating them. definitely need to change the oats though from instant to normal rolled ones

should i have my diet set up 40/40/20? or is there a better mix?

how much almonds should i be eating, if i was to weigh them?

Thread Information