boisebeast is offline Member

Critique my Bulking Diet

Please critique my bulking diet as suited to meet my ultimate goal weight/bodyfat (200 lbs, 7% bodyfat)

Current Stats:-18
    -6'0
    -160 lbs (began bulking 6 1/2 months ago at 129 lbs)
    -11% bodyfat
    -Never cycled

Breakfast
    -Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwich
    -1/2 poppyseed muffin

Lunch
    -Peanut Butter.Jelly Sandwich with wheat bread
    -Baked Chips-
    -Motzerella Cheese

Dinner
    -4 Burritos (Chicken/Bean/Cheese) with flour tortilla

Snacks
    -Protien Bar (Zone Bar)

"2nd Dinner"
    -[Mass gainer/whey protien shake] <------ Currently unable to drink because of doctors orders (due to liver inflammation)
    -Currently replacing protien shake with a high protien/carb meal and supplementing with 3oz chicken breast (ex. tuna sandwich)

-Basal Metabolic Rate (factoring in caloric burn from exercise): 2900
    -Total Daily consumed calories: 3,700
    -Total g protien consumed: 184g
    -Total g carbs consumed 425g
    -Total g fat consumed 127g

Breakdown: 25% protien, 58% carbs, 17% fats

Daily caloric surplus of ~800 (may not be 100% accurate as I used an online calulator tool to factor in physical activity)
    Average monthly weight gain ~5 lbs

Goal: 200 lbs, 7% bodyfat

Additional info can be supplied on request, including specific meal/food breakdown. Thanks for your critiques!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    at 160lbs and 11%bf ur tdee should be around 2736.. thatd put u bulking @ 3250cals with 500cal surplus..

ur not gonna be able to gain 40lbs muscle and cut to 7%bf.. and ur prob not gonna be able to do either with that diet.. the only thing i see worth eating from a bodybuilding perspective is the 3oz chicken or tuna sandwich..

i suggest u read the sticky "so u wanna learn how to diet" ... once uve done that let us know and we can go from there.. ur gonna have to rewrite another complete diet but u need to know what u should be eating first

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If I were you I would pick some better quality food sources. I know this is a bulk for you, but 4 burritos??? LOL

You also need to re-check your number...they looked a bit off so I crunched some numbers for you.

You say you have 127g of fat and that makes up 17% of your cals. Each gram of fat is 9 calories. 9calories x 127g of fat = 1143. 1143/3700 = 31% Fat.

Each Gram of protein = 4 calories - so....184 x 4 = 736calories /3700 = 20% Protein

Each Gram of Carbs also = 4 calories - so.....425 x 4 = 1700calories /3700 = 46% Carbs

So I have your Protein/Carb/Fat Breakdown at 20/46/31.

In my opinion this isn't a good macro split. Right now your LBM = 142.4. If you're trying to put on muscle I would say you need 2g of protein per pound of LBM. That equals 284g of Protein. I would also say to try to stay at around 20% on your fats...20% fat of 3700 calories = ~82g of fat. Do the rest in carbs.

If you're not gaining weight at the rate you would like...increase the carbs. I would never increase the fats over 20%.

That's all I've got for now.
    Last edited by slfmade; 03-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.

jypoll is offline Member
    is this a serious inquiry?

the only thing you have that you can actually eat is 3oz chicken breast.. and it should be closer to 8 or more oz

your math is a little off as well fats are 9 kcal/g not 4.

read the stickies in this forum and make a new diet

boisebeast is offline Member
    I will go read the stickies; are you guys believers in IIFYM? This has been my diet for the last six months and I've based it on this ideal (obviously many of these foods are not great sources individually). I've gained 31 lbs to date and only increased my bodyfat about 3%

I'm just curious if a diet similar to this is going to be able to used for another 60 lbs or so, then I'll cut. Also I didn't know how much a gram of protien/fat was in calories so thanks for that; all of these numbers are based off the nutrition facts of the foods.

Off to read stickies, but in case it isn't in the stickies, could someone possibly link me to a strong example of a bulking diet that might be modifyable for my end goal. Thanks again for you responses, everyone on this forum is really helpful and gives high quality answers-- I appreciate it.

Thread Information