thex95 is offline Senior Member

The key ingredients to a successful lean bulk?

So I am prepping for an increased lean bulk in the fall and just wondering what some of your guys thoughts are on a few things I was thinking about changing. From doing research I came across an article that said these are the key ingredients for a lean bulk, and I wanted some expert opinions on this. OBVIOUSLY I know proper diet/nutrition/rest are king, and supplements are exactly what they say they are, SUPPLMENTS. Here is the list from an article;

1) Increase carbs. - The way I see this is increasing my macros from 40/40/20 to 50/30/20 (the 50% being carbs)

2) Tons of water  I mean this is pretty dam obvious, I drink about 7 litres of water today (Canadian measurement lol)

3) Creatine  Plan on taking 10g a day, not taking any right now

4) Glutamine Article recommends BEFORE workout and after. Was thinking about taking 15 g a day (5g pre-workout, 5g post workout, 5g before bed with protein shake)

5) Taurine  Really looking for opinions on this one, I have always been skeptical on taurine, sounds like a load of bs to me. It is cheap though and maybe worth a shot, opinions??

6) Potassium I plan on getting this through a Gatorade powder shake I drink intra workout.

7) Glycerol  Never heard about this until I came across this article. Opinions on this??

8) NO booster-> This is the one thing I wont even bother with because I think they are way overpriced.

So any key elements I missed here guys? Any of these main components bs?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by thex95 View Post
    So I am prepping for an increased lean bulk in the fall and just wondering what some of your guys thoughts are on a few things I was thinking about changing. From doing research I came across an article that said these are the key ingredients for a lean bulk, and I wanted some expert opinions on this. OBVIOUSLY I know proper diet/nutrition/rest are king, and supplements are exactly what they say they are, SUPPLMENTS. Here is the list from an article;

1) Increase carbs. - The way I see this is increasing my macros from 40/40/20 to 50/30/20 (the 50% being carbs)
    Increase based on what? How do the article know where you're starting at?

2) Tons of water  I mean this is pretty dam obvious, I drink about 7 litres of water today (Canadian measurement lol)

3) Creatine  Plan on taking 10g a day, not taking any right now
    Beneficial? Maybe. A MUST? Definitely not, IMO.

4) Glutamine Article recommends BEFORE workout and after. Was thinking about taking 15 g a day (5g pre-workout, 5g post workout, 5g before bed with protein shake)
    With proper diet, I don't see it being a 'key ingredient'. Again, like creatine - it won't hurt, but isn't a must IMO.

5) Taurine  Really looking for opinions on this one, I have always been skeptical on taurine, sounds like a load of bs to me. It is cheap though and maybe worth a shot, opinions??
    Same as above IMO. You can take a quality BCAA/EAA supp and forget about individual amino's.

6) Potassium I plan on getting this through a Gatorade powder shake I drink intra workout.
    Meh. Eat a banana.

7) Glycerol  Never heard about this until I came across this article. Opinions on this??
    Does the article give any reasoning behind why they recommend this and anything else on their list as 'key'?

8) NO booster-> This is the one thing I wont even bother with because I think they are way overpriced.
    Ok, I was on the edge before - but now I know the article is crap. Try to find out what supplement comany published the article. I have no doubt it was one of them.

So any key elements I missed here guys? Any of these main components bs?
    The big three that you mentioned are all that's required for a sucessful lean bulk. Obviosuly each can be expanded upon, but all of these supplements are not necessary IMO. I'd go with a good multi vitamin/mineral, fish oil, and a protein powder if need be. Assuming diet and training are in check, I don't see any of the above making or breaking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Increase based on what? How do the article know where you're starting at?

Beneficial? Maybe. A MUST? Definitely not, IMO.

With proper diet, I don't see it being a 'key ingredient'. Again, like creatine - it won't hurt, but isn't a must IMO.

Same as above IMO. You can take a quality BCAA/EAA supp and forget about individual amino's.

Meh. Eat a banana.

Does the article give any reasoning behind why they recommend this and anything else on their list as 'key'?

Ok, I was on the edge before - but now I know the article is crap. Try to find out what supplement comany published the article. I have no doubt it was one of them.

The big three that you mentioned are all that's required for a sucessful lean bulk. Obviosuly each can be expanded upon, but all of these supplements are not necessary IMO. I'd go with a good multi vitamin/mineral, fish oil, and a protein powder if need be. Assuming diet and training are in check, I don't see any of the above making or breaking anything.
    awesome gbrice thanks for the detailed input man. As time goes on Im really just getting tired and sort of over using various supplements so I am really glad with your recomondations. Pretty sure all I am getting form now on is whey protein, fish oil, and a multi just like you said.

bobjack is offline Associate Member
    hey now, creatine aint bad and it don't cost too much just remember supplements are just that... they supplement your diet. they wont make or break you that's for sure

Razor is offline Banned
    Dump all that creatine if you want a lean bulk. supplementig creatine is garbage, just eat more lean steak

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Dump all that creatine if you want a lean bulk. supplementig creatine is garbage, just eat more lean steak
    why is it garbage?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I disagree. Again, creatine isn't going to be a game changer, but I wouldn't call it garbage. Yes, beef is naturally high in creatine, but it certainly won't hurt to supplement, even if you have a decent beef intake.

Dump all that creatine if you want a lean bulk. supplementig creatine is garbage IMO, just eat more lean steak
    fixed imo

Thread Information