Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    calstate23 is offline Banned

Manipulating carb sources and it's impact on gi...

I have never really looked into this but using some common sense and some basic biology it has crossed my mind that manipulating your carb source can impact how fast it breaks down into glucose.

For instance, we all know that heat speeds up molecular breakdown. For instance dropping a piece of bread into boiling water would breakdown almost instantly whereas dropping the same piece of bread into ice water it would take much longer.

So where am I going with this? I would also assume this can effect a carb sources GI. For instance, let's say I eat a yam and then chase it down with STEAMING HOT WATER. Common sense would say it would DEFINITELY icrease the time it takes the yam to breakdown. Thus, also increasing it's GI as the long chain carb source would be broken down down to a short chain.

And also vice versa, Let's same I eat a yam and then chase it down with ice cubes. COuld this possibly even further lower it's effect on blood sugars?

ANyone ever heard of this? I usually have a blood glucose meter but I don't right now or else I would test it myself. ANyone willing to try it out and let us know your readings?

I'm almost positive it should work...

This could be great because then you could possible eat higher GI carb sources and slow them down to effect your blood sugar less....

As far as manipulating, I would also assume BLENDING your oats and such would increase it's breakdown and make it effect your GI in a negative way. I really have feeling it does because complex carb sources that get popped, puffed or flake change it's GI level
    Last edited by calstate23; 08-24-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Thread Information