Southpole12 is offline New Member

Diet help, please!

Hello everyone. This is my first time on this site and it looks really informative. I was wondering if I could get a couple of suggestions about my diet.
    I am a 28 year old male, 5'9 1/2", 150lbs. My goal is to be at 165 with a lean physique. The following is my diet and exercise routine. I would be grateful to some suggestions as I cannot seem to get bigger. I try to stay away from carbs as I get fat in the stomach very easily.

Monday
    Breakfast- Kashi cereal (8am)
    Mid morning- BSN protein shake 2 scoops (46g protein) (11am)
    Lunch- 8 ounces chicken cutlet parmesan baked (I use crushed cornflakes, egg, sauce, and mozarella) Quinoa with peppers and onions mixed in and 2 small peppers on the side. (1pm)
    Workout: Chest and biceps (145-245)
    Post workout: Isopure (2 scoops) and 2 scoops cell tech (315)
    Dinner: turkey soft tacos (8pm)
    Workout: Ice hockey (9-11)
    Post workout: 2 scoops isopure

Tuesday
    Lunch- 8 ounces chicken cutlet parmesan baked (I use crushed cornflakes, egg, sauce, and mozarella) Quinoa with peppers and onions mixed in and 2 small peppers on the side. (1pm)
    Workout: break day
    Dinner: 8 oz salmon with broccoli and sweet potatoes

Wednesday
    Workout: legs (145-245)
    Dinner: cheese chicken cutlets with string beans (not the best I know, I need another recipe)(8pm)

Thursday
    Breakfast- 7 pieces of turkey bacon (930am)
    Lunch- 8 ounces chicken cutlet parmesan baked (I use crushed cornflakes, egg, sauce, and mozarella) Quinoa with peppers and onions mixed in a and 2 small peppers on the side. (12pm)
    Workout: shoulders and core (ab ripper p90x and swiss ball exercise) (130-3)
    Dinner: new york strip steak (8pm)

Friday
    Workout: Back and triceps (145-245)
    Dinner: brown rice with vegetable and shrimp (8pm)

I really have no schedule for the weekend which I think is also hurting me. I have been working out for the past 3 years and am looking to gain more mass without getting the stomach fat.
    Last edited by Southpole12; 12-06-2012 at 01:24 PM.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    welcome aboard!

can you add all of your cals and macros up so we can better assist you.

there is a bulking stickie at the top of this section that will help you get you to where you wanna go.

on another note, you need carbs to bulk!

you may also want to change up your workout routine, but that is all up to you.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpole12 View Post
    Hello everyone. This is my first time on this site and it looks really informative. I was wondering if I could get a couple of suggestions about my diet.
    I am a 28 year old male, 5'9 1/2", 150lbs. My goal is to be at 165 with a lean physique. The following is my diet and exercise routine. I would be grateful to some suggestions as I cannot seem to get bigger. I try to stay away from carbs as I get fat in the stomach very easily.

Monday
    Workout: Chest and biceps (145-245)
    Dinner: turkey soft tacos (8pm)
    Workout: Ice hockey (9-11)
    Post workout: 2 scoops isopure
    Welcome!!

I only chose to quote 1 day since they're all relatively similar. As RC suggested, we need to see macros for your meals, but at a glance - you're not really eating much at all. Breakfast isn't a meal at all. Mid morning is hardly a meal. You haven't had any real food by lunch time. The only other real food we're looking at is dinner, and I'd venture to guess you're not eating much there.

You have to eat to grow bro! Between your workout and evening cardio (hockey), you're likely burning a lot of calories. You need to fuel those workouts, and then eat more on top of that in order to grow. What does your bodyfat look like? Fairly low, i'm sure. Do you have any pics you can post up for reference?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Welcome!!

I only chose to quote 1 day since they're all relatively similar. As RC suggested, we need to see macros for your meals, but at a glance - you're not really eating much at all. Breakfast isn't a meal at all. Mid morning is hardly a meal. You haven't had any real food by lunch time. The only other real food we're looking at is dinner, and I'd venture to guess you're not eating much there.

You have to eat to grow bro! Between your workout and evening cardio (hockey), you're likely burning a lot of calories. You need to fuel those workouts, and then eat more on top of that in order to grow. What does your bodyfat look like? Fairly low, i'm sure. Do you have any pics you can post up for reference?
    Thanks!!!! I think my body fat is probably around 8 percent but I have not measured it. What can I change my breakfast, lunch, and dinner to? I will post a profile pic since I can't put a URL on here.
    Last edited by Southpole12; 12-06-2012 at 05:59 PM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    breakfast:

2 whole eggs, 6 egg whites (all scrambled or omelette) if omelette u could add some veggies in there too.. peppers, onion, broccoli, spinach, tomato..
    6oz beef or chikn
    1 cup oatmeal

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If your bf is around 8% why chance anything? 8% is VERY lean...I'm confused

-TroN

Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    If your bf is around 8% why chance anything? 8% is VERY lean...I'm confused

-TroN
    hes trying to gain i think needs to eat more!

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---

hes trying to gain i think needs to eat more!
    Ur right, I misunderstood! Carry on! Lol I think I was asleep!

-TroN

Thanks!!!! I think my body fat is probably around 8 percent but I have not measured it. What can I change my breakfast, lunch, and dinner to? I will post a profile pic since I can't put a URL on here.
    Hard to tell by that pic since it's small... but realize that 8% is getting into the shredded neighborhood. You may be higher than you think. I'm around 9-10% in my avy, to put it in perspective. In any event, I have no doubt you need to start eating more... and not just more food, but more QUALITY food.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Hard to tell by that pic since it's small... but realize that 8% is getting into the shredded neighborhood. You may be higher than you think. I'm around 9-10% in my avy, to put it in perspective. In any event, I have no doubt you need to start eating more... and not just more food, but more QUALITY food.
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I want to get bigger but try and still be on the lean side at the same time. I will have to get my bf measured so maybe I am more than I thought. Perhaps 12-14 since gbrice is 10 there and I'm not shredded like that lol. Anyway, any suggestions on better foods to eat for all meals like maybe some stuff you guys are eating let me know. Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I want to get bigger but try and still be on the lean side at the same time. I will have to get my bf measured so maybe I am more than I thought. Perhaps 12-14 since gbrice is 10 there and I'm not shredded like that lol. Anyway, any suggestions on better foods to eat for all meals like maybe some stuff you guys are eating let me know. Thanks again!
    For reference, here's what I ate yesterday:

Meal 1:
    3 whole eggs, 6 whites
    3 slices Canadian bacon
    1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup blueberries

Workout

PWO Shake:
    2 scoops protein powder
    1/2 cup oats

Meal 2:
    8oz pork tenderloin
    medium sweet potato

Meal 3:
    Whole chicken roaster
    medium sweet potato

Meal 4:
    12oz Top Sirloin
    homemade veggie juice (beets, carrots, apple, lemon, kale, broccoli, celery, spinach)

Meal 5:
    1 scoop protein powder
    1tbsp natty PB
    1/2 cup 1% milkfat cottage cheese
    1/4 cup oats
    1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
    3/4 cup almond milk
    3/4 cup egg whites
    (All blended into a shake with ice, stevia, instant coffee, and cacao powder)

Note that I said "for reference". I'm not suggesting you copy this diet and start eating like this. You need to find your caloric intake needs to slowly add mass while keeping bodyfat in check, usually referred to as 'lean bulking'.

I'm currently working on a new sticky, but for now you may want to reference the existing one(s). And as always, feel free to ask any and all questions. That's why we're here!

Wow that's a good diet there! I will look into the other lean bulking posts. For my height and weight what should my caloric intake be? Like 3000 calories with alot of protein and limit carbs to pre workout?

required cals will depend on LBM. typically a decent starting point for Maintenance is (LBM x 15).

for a lean bulk u would wanna add 350 - 500 cals to this and then see how u do. increase cals based on results.

speaking hypothetically if u were indeed 150lbs and 12%bf then:

150 x .88(%LBM) = 132lbs LBM

132 x 15 = 1980cals

1980 + (350-500) = (2330-2480cals)

like i said this is a rough estimate based on LBM. adjustments should be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    required cals will depend on LBM. typically a decent starting point for Maintenance is (LBM x 15).

for a lean bulk u would wanna add 350 - 500 cals to this and then see how u do. increase cals based on results.

speaking hypothetically if u were indeed 150lbs and 12%bf then:

150 x .88(%LBM) = 132lbs LBM

132 x 15 = 1980cals

1980 + (350-500) = (2330-2480cals)

like i said this is a rough estimate based on LBM. adjustments should be expected.
    Thanks! Any other ideas from you guys for different lunches and breakfast because I work 12 hour days and like to make my lunches for the week ahead. I haven't had much time to search these forums yet as a I am currently taking some continuing education courses for my job.

chicken breast, lean beef (96% fat free ground is what i eat), turkey, fish, canned tuna, eggs, egg whites..

brown rice, potatoes, oatmeal, quinoa, sweet potatoes..

these are examples of decent proteins and carbs.

pick some and make a bunch ahead of time and put in tupperware in the fridge. weigh it out for each day and throw it in a cooler.

ur gonna want to design ur diet ahead of time making sure u know how to portion ur food to hit ur macros.

u dont necessarily have to add up protein for each meal, a total for the day will suffice.

for example say u need hypothetically 300g protein. 1lb of chikn = 100g protein (roughly); 1lb ground beef = 100g protein (roughly) so u could just make sure u have 1.5lbs of each when u go to work and u know u will get ur 300g protein. then just eyeball the portions if it makes it easier..

be sure to weigh all ur foods in their natural state: meat raw, rice dry, oats dry, etc...

this help?

Yes! That helps alot thanks!!!

Thread Information