Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    doingwork12 is offline Junior Member

please check my diet

I will be starting my clen soon and I'm starting to think my diet is all wrong for weight loss

Hers a decent idea

Oatmeal/ bannana

Apple/orange

Grilled chicken sandwich

Tuna w/ mayo on a piece of wheat bread

Tilapia w/ brown rice

Egg whites/ cottage cheese

Canned fruit pears peaches oranges

Just a sample of things I may eat on the daily

Is cheese bad for you? Or like Lipton rice packets?

I read I should only be at 25grams carbs a day? Right or wrong

Also peanut butter, brocoli, peanuts, cashews sweet potatoes, 97% beef, carrots, black berries, lunch meat-turkey-chicken, corn tortillas, beans

Just let me know if I'm eating anything I shouldn't and why its so bad...thanks in advance

Can I get some help please.....sorry I don't know about macros or any of that..... just let me know if I'm doing some thing wrong...

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    doingwork12 welcome to the forum man!

now thats out of the way have some patience!! (dang! ) we're not just sitting around chomping at the bit for someone to need diet advice..

read this:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...g#.UORJ0m_edP8

post ur complete stats: age weight height bf%

dont know bf%?? find out! post a shritless pic, google BOD POD for ur area and make an appointment

once u have read the cutting sticky post a diet u think is good. be sure to include total cals and macros as well as meal times and workout times, also how much cardio u plan to do per week and the duration.

typically when cutting u want to keep sugar to a minimum.. (fruits, cereals, breads, etc..)

6ft tall
    Last edited by doingwork12; 01-02-2013 at 10:29 PM.

6ft tall
    236lbs
    27%bf last time I checked

8am wake up
    Oatmeal/bannana

9am lift /abs and 1hour cardio on treadmill around 4 miles

11 apple orange and protein shake

2 cottage cheese and turkey wrap

5 chicken breast and brown rice brocoli

7canned pears and cottage cheese

I don't understand macros on alot of things... this isnt exact but a pretty typical day..

What may be holding me back a bit is I'm a painter and work is slow during the winter so my cardio is bout it for burning any calories...considering I'm sitting around the rest of the day...

I'm also diabetic...so I really don't consume alot of sugar....

Help...

doing what r the total cals and macros of the above diet??

u say ur diabetic, this will make it a challenge to advise u as im not proficient in diabetes. i would think ud fare better to have complex carbs. that fruit is a lot of simple sugar (of which u said u dont eat a lot).. i would drop it immediately from meal 7 and keep it pre workout.

did u read the sticky? do u know what ur maintenance cals are?

have u created a deficit?

u say ur 27%bf, where did u get it chekd and how long ago??

updated diet:

7am 4 egg whites

work out

10 am protein shake

1pm turkey wrap: turkey, lettuce, tomatoe and light mayo

4-5 pm lean beef and peppers

7-8 just turkey and slice of cheese

Im having a hard time finding food to add to my diet and an even harder time with the "fats" to supplement... is there anything i can use other than these oils ive heard of?

carib102 is offline New Member
    Doing, I am no the expert that 405 is (yet!), but maybe I can give you an idea to get you started. I am the same height as you, but 33 lbs lighter. Probably about the same bf as well. Take a look at my thread and you can see what I'm eating on a daily basis (post #1 and again on post #26). http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...d-Training-Log

Macros for my diet are roughly 60/15/25 or 55/20/25 depending on the day.

Good luck on your cut doing, you will get some great advice from the guys on here!

And now back to you 405...

i finally did my bmr which is 2242 and my tdee which is 3475

Im not sure if this is right? i followed the formula in the sticky but the cm and kilograms may have screwed me up..I also used moderate activity to be more fair on my self but i usually hit the gym 5-7 days per week but im not working now soo....

Im 6ft, 27%bf, 28 years old and 233lbs can some one please double check my math and explain to me where i go from here with my diet???

Ive been on 50 grams carbs or less the last few days and doing good.....

im having trouble with breakfast foods that arent breads or fruits? does egg whites vs whole eggs make a huge diffrence? i see alot of guys eating both...

any advice guys?

zimmaakaviper is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doingwork12 View Post
    updated diet:

7am 4 egg whites

work out

10 am protein shake

1pm turkey wrap: turkey, lettuce, tomatoe and light mayo

4-5 pm lean beef and peppers

7-8 just turkey and slice of cheese

Im having a hard time finding food to add to my diet and an even harder time with the "fats" to supplement... is there anything i can use other than these oils ive heard of?
    dude you need to add macros to this so they can tell if it any good

Quote Originally Posted by zimmaakaviper View Post
    dude you need to add macros to this so they can tell if it any good
    i have no idea what macros are? thats part of what im asking? i can check the lable for carbs and calories but that about it......macros?

i finally did my bmr which is 2242 and my tdee which is 3475

Im not sure if this is right? i followed the formula in the sticky but the cm and kilograms may have screwed me up..I also used moderate activity to be more fair on my self but i usually hit the gym 5-7 days per week but im not working now soo....

Im 6ft, 27%bf, 28 years old and 233lbs can some one please double check my math and explain to me where i go from here with my diet???

Ive been on 50 grams carbs or less the last few days and doing good.....
    forget the formulas in the stickies, forget the 1.55 multiplier. better IMO is: (LBM x 15)

233lbs 27%bf

233 x .73 = 170.09(lbs LBM)

170.09 x 15 = 2551 cals (rough maintenance)

thanks 405

so thats what i would eat to maintain my current weight....

Now i need to create a deficit right?

What is resonable ?

I havent been counting calories this last week.. but i have been with carbs and ive been around 40-maybe 80grams per day...

all ive been eating is chicken, tuna, turkey 97% beef and peppers, brocoli, green beans and eggs/whites......

i havent weighed my self yet either...i do only on Sundays..

can you either explain macros or point me to where i can find out please?

what about macros do u need explained?

u have 3 macros: protein, carbs, fat

each macro has a caloric value per gram:

1 gram protein = 4 calories

1 gram carbs = 4 calories

1gram fat = 9 calories

therefore if u eat 100g protein ur eating 400cals

100g carbs = 400cals

100g fat = 900cals

get it?

doingwork is offline Junior Member
    okay.. so first off i found this livestrong app that looks to be useful....

but how do i figure out my "macros"?

Im thinking if my tdee is 2555 then i shoot shoot for 1525 or so ....Good?

but your saying when im reading the label on a particular food... i should do that formula for fat, protein and carbs add them together and thats the real amount of calories? or is what it says for calories...how many calories are really in it?

When you read the label, the calories listed should match whatever macros are listed. For example if the label says:

Calories: 250 calories
    Protein: 21 grams
    Carbs: 19 grams
    Fats: 10 grams

You don't really need to do the math, because it has already been done for you e.g.

Protein: 21 grams = 21g x 4cal = 84cal
    Carbs: 19 grams = 19g x 4cal = 76cal
    Fats: 10 grams = 10g x 9cal = 90cal

84+76+90=250cal

The manufacturer has already done the math to tell you how many calories are in the product. Just be careful though because these macros and calories are usually listed by serving size and many products contain more than 1 serving per package.

Quote Originally Posted by carib102 View Post
    When you read the label, the calories listed should match whatever macros are listed. For example if the label says:

Calories: 250 calories
    Protein: 21 grams
    Carbs: 19 grams
    Fats: 10 grams

You don't really need to do the math, because it has already been done for you e.g.

Protein: 21 grams = 21g x 4cal = 84cal
    Carbs: 19 grams = 19g x 4cal = 76cal
    Fats: 10 grams = 10g x 9cal = 90cal

84+76+90=250cal

The manufacturer has already done the math to tell you how many calories are in the product. Just be careful though because these macros and calories are usually listed by serving size and many products contain more than 1 serving per package.

ok thanks exactly what i was asking.... i thought if the package said 15o calories the said 50 from fat... it really ment

200 calories or to do the formula...i get it now.. i was confused because when people talk about macros i always see

three numbers... i get thought... you really dont need those numbers.. just the total calories..

now my next question is..... fruit and brown rice, sweet potatoe , oatmeal, an english muffin, okay to eat as long as i

eat it at the right time of the day? as long as i stay under my caloric deficit.....

Ive ben on this 50 grams of carbs a day diet deal for over a week now... i lost one lb..which is total bullshit...i havent

cheated or nothing in over three weeks.... i honestly feel like an oxy elite or hydroxy cut would have done better

clen ( i know most will say clen is for the fit..but its gotta be better than hyrdoxy cut)...shit it has given better results in

the past wheather some guys dislike them or not... its been proven to work for me and my diet wasnt half this strict..

iwas still eating rice, wheat thins, pretzles,fiber one bars, beans, bread, peanuts all kinds of carbs over 50 grams.and

the guy who said its not "sustainable" is pretty right...im still talking low carb... but more than now obviously

dude have u read the cutting sticky? the questions ur asking lead me to believe u have not.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...g#.UQPohifedP9

i have twice now

i get the metabolism...mine has adjusted but shouldnt i have lost weight in that time frame?

I went from eating breakfast burritos and fast food burger and fries, pizza and crap in late fall to december

too chicken and brown rice (early january)

too chicken and brocoli (now with only 50 grams carbs)

And what i get is i lose 3 pounds? thats crazy.....

the only other factor i can think of is im not working but i still do cardio 6 days a week and lift 5 days a week and burn a minimum of 400 calories with just the cardio

^^ur NOT gonna be able to pinpoint error without calculating total cals and macros which is why i askd u what they were in post # 8.. IMO ur best bet at this point is to forget why u havent lost weight in the previous diet and build another one and we can go from there.

233lbs 27%bf

233 x .73 = 170.09(lbs LBM)

170.09 x 15 = 2551 cals (rough maintenance)

id build a diet at 2100cals 50/30/20 pro/carb/fat split and post it for review..

i get the macros...except how to distribute them? but im using this livestrong app(i saw suggested on the forum)

i dont understand how to split them up? but i will keep track and stay under 2100

then post at the end of the night

hopoefully we can get somewhere then

i get the macros...except how to distribute them? but im using this livestrong app(i saw suggested on the forum)

i dont understand how to split them up? but i will keep track and stay under 2100

then post at the end of the night

hopoefully we can get somewhere then
    do ur best man, we will help u after u post something up. the best way for u to learn is to try and fail and be corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    do ur best man, we will help u after u post something up. the best way for u to learn is to try and fail and be corrected!
    8am 1 bannana f-0 c-29 p-1 cal from fat 0
    english muffin w/1tsp pb 17 -23-12-153

11am chicken sandwich 7-17-31-63
    cantolope 0-7-1-0

2pm turkey sandich w/swiss cheese and (2)pieces multi grain bread 11-44-31-108
    brocoli 1-7-2-9

5pm grilled chicken 4oz 1-0-27-13
    brocoli 1-7-2-9

7pm cottage cheese 1/4 cup 1-3-14-10
    1/2 cup canned pears 0-22-0-0

fat38-carb164-protein 128-calories from fat 356

total 1323 calories - 400calories burned with cardio 923

i would definetley like to work some oatmeal in the morning and maybe brown rice in at lunch....big differene from 5o grams carbs per day.....

i used the live strong app with what i didnt have macros for.....i did my best with what i have....i did weigh some things and some were estimates

getting a scale tommorow....

Dude that is a whacked diet if you are trying to burn fat. Your carbs are too high (way too high IMO), and your protein is too low by 100%. So, here is what I would do with that day....

8am...lose the entire meal and replace with 1/2 cup oats and eggs (1 whole egg and 4 egg whites). If you like veggie omelets you can add veggies to the eggs as well.
    11am...lose the bread in the chicken sandwich and just eat the chicken (6oz). Drop the cantolope and replace it with a huge salad. Add brown rice (1 cup).
    2pm...This is good to go as long as the cheese is low fat.
    5pm...Good to go as is.
    7pm...Keep the cottage cheese (2% fat and increase to 1 cup), drop the canned pears.

This all works out to 1642 calories with a macro percentage breakdown of 52%p / 29%c / 20%f. Grams of each are as follows: 201.6g pro / 120.7g carb / 35.7g fat

I would run that, but I am only 203 lbs (6ft tall, 30%bf). You may want to increase the calories somewhat...add some EVOO with your salad for good fats and balance that with maybe an extra 1/4 cup oatmeal and a few more oz of chicken. This would get you closer to 2000 calories per day and maintain the same ratio that 405 recommended for you (e.g. 50/30/20).

what is 50/30/20? im so confused... i thought 164 grams of carbs was kinda high....considering i was at 50-70 all week... which is crazy.....soo basically just get my carbs down( how low tho ?) and stay under 2000 calories which actually doesnt seem hard considering todays results.....

whats up with the 1 whole egg.. what do i do with one egg? whats the difference anyways? just calories.. i take it?

i see the 50 is protein 30 carbs and 20 fat but?? grams per meal? eat 50 grams of protein every meal while staying under 30 carbs and 20...naw thats not right/.....please explain...
    Last edited by doingwork12; 01-26-2013 at 08:53 PM.

lestat85 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doingwork12
    what is 50/30/20? im so confused... i thought 164 grams of carbs was kinda high....considering i was at 50-70 all week... which is crazy.....soo basically just get my carbs down( how low tho ?) and stay under 2000 calories which actually doesnt seem hard considering todays results.....
    50/30/20 refers to the macro split. Specifically, 50% of calories from protein, 30% from carbs and 20% from fat.

50/30/20 refers to the percentages of calories from each macro. 50% protein / 30% carbs / 20% fat

The diet changes I recommended above will give you a (rough) 50/30/20 split, though I think you need to add a bit more food as the calories may be too low for you long term.

Ultimately you won't know how well this works for you until you try it for several weeks. Some people do better on other types of diets. Given your 27%bf though, you should be able to lose on pretty much any diet at this point. You have to try it and begin to learn how your body responds to carbs and fats.

I also want to mention the importance of regular BF testing. You said earlier in the thread that you were very strict with your diet and only lost 1lb, but you may not be considering that you also gained muscle during that time. If you dropped 3lbs of fat and added 2lbs of muscle then a net 1lb loss on the scale is actually good. You won't know this though unless you are regularly measuring BF%. Another consideration in cases such is this is water retention. If you had been eating a diet that caused you to hold water your weight loss on the scale might not reflect your actual fat loss.

still lost...how do i figure that out? its not..idk..im getting frustated lol

im bought to just stay with the 50 grams of carbs a day and keep the calories low...less the better
    Last edited by doingwork12; 01-26-2013 at 09:00 PM.

still lost...how do i figure that out? its not..idk..im getting frustated lol
    If your diet is 2000 cals (just an example, you may need more or less), 1000 cals would be protein, 600 cals would be carbs and 400 cals would be fat.

1000/4=250 grams protein
    600/4=150 grams carbs
    300/9=33 grams fat

These would be the totals to aim for daily.

Again, these numbers are only used as an example. You may need more or less calories, which would give you a different breakdown of macros.

soo then i did okay? just not enough protein....but fat and carbs were pretty close aye? i thought my carbs were high tho

so mt tdee 2552... so say i burned 577 calories today in my cardio routine... i dont subtract that from my calories consumed for the day right? c

so mt tdee 2552... so say i burned 577 calories today in my cardio routine... i dont subtract that from my calories consumed for the day right? c
    If you calculated your TDEE properly, it should take into account your daily activity, so no you do not have to subtract calories burned from calories consumed.

If your TDEE is 2552 calories, then you should take in about 2000 calories per day to lose wait. See my last post for a breakdown of how many grams of each macro to take in for the day.

thanks... what if im way less.. better right? if you look above one guy said my carbs was high( witch i thought too) then some body else i think said im okay?

thanks... what if im way less.. better right? if you look above one guy said my carbs was high( witch i thought too) then some body else i think said im okay?
    It's a lot about preference. You can use the 50/30/20 split that's been suggested or you can use a 40/40/20 split and still see results. If you want, you can go very low carbs and do something like 60/20/20, but be prepared to be low on energy if you choose to go that route.

I would honestly suggest using one of the first two macro splits I mentioned. You'll get results and still have energy. Plus, when you reach a weight that you're happy with, you can keep the same macro split and just up your calories into the maintenance range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information