Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172223242526272829 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,080 of 1156
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: *** Gbrice's Cutting Progress Log v2.0 ***

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    177lbs lbm ain't too shabby for 5'10! I'm 6' at 210ish. I was desperately trying to get to 215lbs lbm lol
    Meh. I wanted 185lbs LBM but the thing is I just don't have the framework, and obviously never will so I'd have to be seriously jacked to be over 200lbs and 10% ish... and at my age, it's just not gonna happen without drugs.

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Meh. I wanted 185lbs LBM but the thing is I just don't have the framework, and obviously never will so I'd have to be seriously jacked to be over 200lbs and 10% ish... and at my age, it's just not gonna happen without drugs.
    Yeah, it's hard to break past ur genetics with the sauce. I was stuck at 205-210 forever. Couldn't get over about 190lbs lbm.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Hey all, just dropping in. I'm not logging workouts this week or next since I'm just deloading, but rest assured I'm in the gym.

During this 'downtime', I've been giving a lot of thought to dieting and long term goals, and I am considering giving keto another run. My goals are several:

1 - reduce bodyfat (no brainer there)

2 - increase insulin sensitivity / reduce symptoms of metabolic syndrome

3 - train my body to become more efficient at burning fat stores for fuel

I believe a carb free diet would accomplish all of these. It just makes sense. We know that when glucose is available, our bodies will use it as the go-to fuel source. Further, the presence of insulin will further blunt the fat mobilization process. Here we have this HUGE and very efficient energy store (bodyfat), yet we never really give our bodies the chance to regularly utilize it with a standard, carb inclusive diet. Keto (properly done) just makes sense.

Have I run keto diets before? Yes, and I wasn't happy with the result either time. However, I believe I know what went wrong and the corrections I'll make this time to make it work. What did I do wrong?

On my first run, I didn't pay any mind to overall caloric intake. Huge mistake. Further, I was doing a full-day carb refeed every 7 days which really turned into more of a big cheat day than anything else.

On my second run, I had calories in check but in hindsight, fats weren't high enough and I began losing muscle. Again, no carbs, the body has to get energy from somewhere. If it's not getting enough fats, dietary protein and/or lean tissue is next in line.

This time around, I'll be looking at roughly 2000 calories/day, 250g protein, 110g fat. It's roughly a 50/50 split, and I'll likely reduce protein and bump fats at some point, but don't want to go too low right off the bat. Eventually I'll probably be looking at 200g protein and 135g fat. I'll likely be running this in tandem with a high volume (GVT) style training regimen through the new year, and reevaluate at that point.

Questions? Suggestions? Opinions? Bring em' on!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Why 2000cals, seems awful low? You think your BMR is low I guess? Or you are taking into account the large calorie/carb influx one day a week? You will still do a 7th day refeed? But low fat this time?

I liked my 30/70 split when I did a keto. Less fat would have given me minimal satiety (I know, you'll be hungry anyway because you're cutting).

Cardio?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Why 2000cals, seems awful low? You think your BMR is low I guess? Or you are taking into account the large calorie/carb influx one day a week? You will still do a 7th day refeed? But low fat this time?

I liked my 30/70 split when I did a keto. Less fat would have given me minimal satiety (I know, you'll be hungry anyway because you're cutting).

Cardio?
    I have the metabolism of a glacier, lol. Yea man, it's really that low. I can get fat eating 2500 calories, lol. I'll slowly increase once I get my BF down to around 10%, but for now, it's just gotta be low.

As for refeeds - yes, I'll be carb refeeding, but it will no longer be a full day binge. I'll likely be carbing up for about 1/2 a day (every 7th day) which will equate to maybe 2 meals, 3 max. I don't think *anybody* 'needs' a full carb day, it's overkill IMO.

At 30/70, I'd be at 150g protein/day based on 2000 calories. A bit too low for my comfort - I really don't want to dip below 200g tbh. Like I said, 250g is on the high side and I likely don't need that much, but to start I want to err on the higher side while my body makes the adjustments to facilitate a fat burning metabolism.

I'll continue cardio PWO, but it'll be minimal. 30 mins PWO, 3 days a week tops.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I ran a little experiment with extreme low-carb and it was amazing for me anyhow. I ate <5g carbs/day and about 65% fat and the rest protein. I had great energy and was in Ketosis after 1-2 days at the most. Kind of felt like the fat melted off me :-) I am now running my normal low-carb and I will never touch a low-fat diet for as long as I live.

Thanks
    ~T

"I stay mostly by myself, but it's OK, they know me here"
    Follow my personal story here: Anabolic Steroids - Steroid.com Forums - An honest journey - Blogs

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    I ran a little experiment with extreme low-carb and it was amazing for me anyhow. I ate <5g carbs/day and about 65% fat and the rest protein. I had great energy and was in Ketosis after 1-2 days at the most. Kind of felt like the fat melted off me :-) I am now running my normal low-carb and I will never touch a low-fat diet for as long as I live.

Thanks
    ~T
    <5g carbs/day... how'd you even manage that? 2 scoops of my protein powder will net 5g carbs, lol. Add nuts, etc. and I'll probably wind up in the 20-30g range which should still be sufficient to achieve ketosis.

How'd you respond in terms of preserving LBM? What was your beginning BF%, and what was it when you stopped? How long did you run the diet for?

I agree man. I think carbs have their place with regard to building muscle, but they are most definitely not essential (fact) and therefore, have a small place in a healthy diet IMHO.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    funny GB ive been toying with this idea myself. actually read lyles ketogenic diet.. learned a lot as i didnt really understand the diet until i read the book. u can also runa targeted keto and according to lyle stay in ketosis day to day but mainly get out a bit pre workout.

one of the parts of the book i liked was the breaking thru plateaus chapter where lyle lays out a 10 day cycle.

one of the things i was concerned with is the cardio. being in ketosis u cant endure high intensity which is the only cardio i do anymore pretty much. i remember reading somewhere the body does not make metabolic adaptations to HIIT which i found desirable.
    gbrice75 likes this.

i will say the only reason i havent tried it yet is it looks like i will be pretty hungry even with the fat because the volume of food will be so low.. was looking at 300g protein 100g fat at 2100 cals.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    funny GB ive been toying with this idea myself. actually read lyles ketogenic diet.. learned a lot as i didnt really understand the diet until i read the book. u can also runa targeted keto and according to lyle stay in ketosis day to day but mainly get out a bit pre workout.

one of the parts of the book i liked was the breaking thru plateaus chapter where lyle lays out a 10 day cycle.

one of the things i was concerned with is the cardio. being in ketosis u cant endure high intensity which is the only cardio i do anymore pretty much. i remember reading somewhere the body does not make metabolic adaptations to HIIT which i found desirable.
    i will say the only reason i havent tried it yet is it looks like i will be pretty hungry even with the fat because the volume of food will be so low.. was looking at 300g protein 100g fat at 2100 cals.
    We should do this together!!! Not only to learn from each others experiences/mistakes, but also to hold each other accountable.

I am planning to run an all-out keto diet (i.e. no daily brief breaking of ketosis based on workouts... as per my long term goals, this wouldn't be optimal for me) for a while but may eventually switch to something more along the lines of the Palumbo approach (similar to what Lyle talks about).

Why are you running protein so high (IMO)?

Glad to know our calories are nearly identical... makes things that much easier from a comparison standpoint.

[QUOTE=gbrice75;6722429]
    We should do this together!!! Not only to learn from each others experiences/mistakes, but also to hold each other accountable.
    might be something to think about. i actually think i would do better with keto just havent had the balls to take the risk. i think this because of how much better (leaner and vascular) i look during the low carb periods of the carb cycle. most guys complain about looking flat but i actually think i look better.

I am planning to run an all-out keto diet (i.e. no daily brief breaking of ketosis based on workouts... as per my long term goals, this wouldn't be optimal for me) for a while but may eventually switch to something more along the lines of the Palumbo approach (similar to what Lyle talks about).
    yeh id be willing to go all the way with it. maybe a refeed (300g or so) every 7 days. something like that. havent really crunched the number or tried to put together a split. curious as to ur input on training while in keto. also may be a good time to run the test/var i have..

Why are you running protein so high (IMO)?
    because i like to eat meat man.. and be full!

Glad to know our calories are nearly identical... makes things that much easier from a comparison standpoint.
    yeh 2100 may be a bit low for me if i eat it every day and have no carbs but it is my basic BMR.. somewhere around there ought to be a good start.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    I triple dog dare y'all to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    I triple dog dare y'all to do it!
    oooooooooooooohhh........... not the triple dog dare!!!

I Triple Dog Dare Ya - YouTube

probuild42 is offline Member

^^You got me with this point^^ I eat carbs out of necessity. Go for it guys! I would be interested to see how it goes.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---
    oooooooooooooohhh........... not the triple dog dare!!! I Triple Dog Dare Ya - YouTube
    Bahahahahaha!

Yup, triple dog dare ya

Gb have u chekd out the palumbo keto??

might be something to think about. i actually think i would do better with keto just havent had the balls to take the risk. i think this because of how much better (leaner and vascular) i look during the low carb periods of the carb cycle. most guys complain about looking flat but i actually think i look better.
    You won't know until you try my friend...

yeh id be willing to go all the way with it. maybe a refeed (300g or so) every 7 days. something like that. havent really crunched the number or tried to put together a split. curious as to ur input on training while in keto. also may be a good time to run the test/var i have..
    I was considering a GVT type training... something high volume. If you're interested, we can collectively come up with a split and try to run the exact same thing. I'll be posting some ideas in this thread, so stay tuned!

lol... state the obvious!! Me too. You know by now that I LOVE food. Fats will do a lot for satiation man, personally I'd drop to 250g and bump your fats to 120g or so. Think about how good another serving of nuts or something like that would be!

yeh 2100 may be a bit low for me if i eat it every day and have no carbs but it is my basic BMR.. somewhere around there ought to be a good start.
    Agreed

Gb have u chekd out the palumbo keto??
    Yes sir, mentioned it above (and have played around with it in the past) see below

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

Aight GB day 1 palumbo keto under way where ya at??

272g pro
    110g fat
    37g carb (32g fiber)

A little shopping this weekend, a little mental preparation, and a huge ****in carb day Sunday... and I'll be good to go!

Here's the workout split I've come up with. May require a bit of refining, but for the most part I'm happy with it:

Monday: Legs
    Squat - 10x10
    Lying Leg Curl - 3 x 12-15
    Calve Raise - 5 x 15

Tuesday: Chest
    Bench Press (incline, decline, barbell, dumbbell - will alternate week to week) 10x10
    incline/decline flies (will do the opposite of the press) - 3 x 15

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Back & Biceps
    Medium Grip Lat Pulldown - 10x10
    Seated Row (varying grips) - 4x10
    Barbell Shrugs - 3x10
    Curls (various) - 5x10

Friday: Delts & Tri's
    Overhead Press - 10x10
    Lateral Raise - 3 x 12-15
    Rear Delt Flys - 3 x 12-15
    Incline Skull Crushers - 3x10

Deload, week 2. Still dealing with some nagging issues but I guess they're feeling a bit better, really hoping this 2nd week will put me in a good place.

Also, today is keto, day 1. I'm struggling a bit with food ideas... it's been a long time since I've run a keto diet and the thought of plain grilled meats sickens me. Anybody wanting to share ideas, I'm all ears!

Confit some duck legs man. Difficult to calculate macro's though.

I pretty much ate the same thing everyday when I did mine. Omelettes, chicken legs, zero carb cottage cheese, normal cheese and a number of spices. I found it very limiting too but I don't mind eating the same thing every day for weeks at a time.
    gbrice75 likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks BIB. Here's what I'm thinking about:

Eggs/egg salad (eggs, mayo, mustard, spices)
    Tuna salad (tuna, mayo, spices)
    Chicken salad (chicken, mayo, spices)
    Pork chops - nut coated and fried in coconut or macadamia nut oil
    Chicken Breast (same as above)
    'Meatza' - ground beef, cheese, low carb tomato sauce, spices
    bacon. LOTS OF BACON.
    protein powders/liquid egg whites/nuts or nut butters
    fatty steak cuts (ribeye would be awesome)

Thanks BIB. Here's what I'm thinking about:

Eggs/egg salad (eggs, mayo, mustard, spices)
    Tuna salad (tuna, mayo, spices)
    Chicken salad (chicken, mayo, spices)
    Pork chops - nut coated and fried in coconut or macadamia nut oil
    Chicken Breast (same as above)
    'Meatza' - ground beef, cheese, low carb tomato sauce, spices
    bacon. LOTS OF BACON.
    protein powders/liquid egg whites/nuts or nut butters
    fatty steak cuts (ribeye would be awesome)
    Ribeye and mayo mmmmmmm See, there are some good things in a keto

I have actually read a few things about (and had an argument on here with a member) about how much animal fat should be in a keto diet. Let's face it, there's gonna be a ton of saturated fat (compared to a normal diet) it's not a plan I would want to follow a long time. The alternative of just lean cuts of meat and lots of added unsaturated fats (with no carbs) doesn't bare thinking about in terms of diet longevity from a boredom/blandness point of view.

Mind your salt intake too buddy

I can devise you a low carb brownie recipe if you like, are you taking sweeteners as part of your plan or removing completely?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks for the meat salad ideas!! Yeh! Chicken salad!! With nuts.. Yum.

Ribeye and mayo mmmmmmm See, there are some good things in a keto
    Ribeye and mayo!?! WTF!?!?! lol

I have actually read a few things about (and had an argument on here with a member) about how much animal fat should be in a keto diet. Let's face it, there's gonna be a ton of saturated fat (compared to a normal diet) it's not a plan I would want to follow a long time. The alternative of just lean cuts of meat and lots of added unsaturated fats (with no carbs) doesn't bare thinking about in terms of diet longevity from a boredom/blandness point of view.
    Couldn't agree more, and as such, I'm using this diet more as a 'tool' to:

a) help quickly reduce bodyfat and get me back on track
    b) (hopefully) increase insulin sensitivity

You're right though. Saturated fats will most definitely be higher than on any other type of diet. Luckily, I have bloodwork due again in about 1.5 months so we'll see what's doing. In the meantime, water intake will be increased, and I'll be supplementing with metamucil (fiber).

Btw, when the fck did 57g of cashews contain 17g carbs?!?! I just had a pack and read the label halfway through - I was floored. These are just plain cashews, not honey roasted or anything like that. WTF?

I can devise you a low carb brownie recipe if you like, are you taking sweeteners as part of your plan or removing completely?
    I'm continuing to use stevia and to a lesser degree, splenda. So yea, bring it on!! lol

Thanks for the meat salad ideas!! Yeh! Chicken salad!! With nuts.. Yum.
    Oh hell yea man, I couldn't do just plain chicken and eggs every day, love both as salads though. Over a huge plate of greens... mmmm!!!

Just finished:

10oz roast pork loin w/ sauteed broccoli rabe, garlic, mushrooms and sun-dried tomato.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails *** Gbrice's Cutting Progress Log v2.0 ***-pork.jpg  
    Last edited by gbrice75; 11-11-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Ribeye and mayo!?! WTF!?!?! lol

ha ha, not together mate

Couldn't agree more, and as such, I'm using this diet more as a 'tool' to:

a) help quickly reduce bodyfat and get me back on track
    b) (hopefully) increase insulin sensitivity

You're right though. Saturated fats will most definitely be higher than on any other type of diet. Luckily, I have bloodwork due again in about 1.5 months so we'll see what's doing. In the meantime, water intake will be increased, and I'll be supplementing with metamucil (fiber).

Btw, when the fck did 57g of cashews contain 17g carbs?!?! I just had a pack and read the label halfway through - I was floored. These are just plain cashews, not honey roasted or anything like that. WTF?

Cashews are terrible for carbs mate, Brazil nuts and macadamia nuts are the lowest I seem to recall.

I'm continuing to use stevia and to a lesser degree, splenda. So yea, bring it on!! lol

Oh hell yea man, I couldn't do just plain chicken and eggs every day, love both as salads though. Over a huge plate of greens... mmmm!!!
    Right, this is my conversion from metric to your funny weights system

2oz unsweetened cocoa powder
    1.5oz your choice of sweetener
    1.5oz protein powder, vanilla works well but choc is ok. Even unflavoured works but makes for a more bitter taste
    Teaspoon baking powder
    1 egg
    1/4 cup skim milk
    3/4 cup natural yoghurt

Mix together (I do mine in a food mixer) and cook either in a brownie tin or it will make 8 muffin/cupcakes.

I cook mine at 350f for about a dozen minutes.

Now, I use proper sugar in mine and even then it's less than 10g carbs per serving with about 8g pro and maybe 4g fats. Your macro's will be different using sweetener, for sure. I then store them in the fridge for up to a week.

Hopefully I got all the conversions correct.
    gbrice75 likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

hmm.. brazil nuts and macadamia nuts huh?? good to know. I am eating about 300g avocado per day and loving it!

Re: the nuts - yea, I've never really payed attention since nuts were seldom a big part of my usual diet, but gotdamn!!! No more cashews for me. Not a big fan of Brazil nuts, but do love macadamia nuts. Almonds should be ok as well...

Right, this is my conversion from metric to your funny weights system

2oz unsweetened cocoa powder
    1.5oz your choice of sweetener
    1.5oz protein powder, vanilla works well but choc is ok. Even unflavoured works but makes for a more bitter taste
    Teaspoon baking powder
    1 egg
    1/4 cup skim milk
    3/4 cup natural yoghurt

Mix together (I do mine in a food mixer) and cook either in a brownie tin or it will make 8 muffin/cupcakes.

I cook mine at 350f for about a dozen minutes.

Now, I use proper sugar in mine and even then it's less than 10g carbs per serving with about 8g pro and maybe 4g fats. Your macro's will be different using sweetener, for sure. I then store them in the fridge for up to a week.

Hopefully I got all the conversions correct.
    Lmao @ our "funny weights system". Thanks for the info, can't wait to make and try em!!

Re: the nuts - yea, I've never really payed attention since nuts were seldom a big part of my usual diet, but gotdamn!!! No more cashews for me. Not a big fan of Brazil nuts, but do love macadamia nuts. Almonds should be ok as well...

Lmao @ our "funny weights system". Thanks for the info, can't wait to make and try em!!
    Don't expect miracles bud, it contains no real chocolate but it's a good sub. I'd rather undercook than over cook too so start at 10 minutes.

If you can fit them in (in terms of macro's) sprinkle with pecans before you pop them in the oven. This does NOT work with macadamia's!!!
    gbrice75 likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

^^ nothing a little cacao powder can't fix!

^^ nothing a little cacao powder can't fix!
    ive been eating 250 cals (or so) of 90% cacao ED for awhile..

ive been eating 250 cals (or so) of 90% cacao ED for awhile..
    The stuff is awesome. Where do you buy yours from?

Wheel pics.... taken this morning (not leg day):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails *** Gbrice's Cutting Progress Log v2.0 ***-wheels2.jpg   *** Gbrice's Cutting Progress Log v2.0 ***-wheels.jpg  

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    choo-choooo!!...oh sorry lol...nice cuts gb..

hows the diet goin so far???

feelin sluggish ot ur gtg...

kinda asked 405 the same..so I had to modify the question as to not get a cheap double post lol

Quote Originally Posted by cancer82
    choo-choooo!!...oh sorry lol...nice cuts gb..

hows the diet goin so far???

feelin sluggish ot ur gtg...

kinda asked 405 the same..so I had to modify the question as to not get a cheap double post lol
    lol, thanks buddy! Not feeling sluggish at all (yet), feeling pretty good actually. However, I'm deloading, so the true test will be next week when I start training at 100% again.

will be watchin
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancer82 View Post
    will be watchin
    You had to mention it, huh!?! lol.

Feeling a tad sluggish today. Probably the first day I'm actually in ketosis. However, my goal isn't full blown ketosis anyway. Calorie restriction via low/no carb, if I happen to enjoy the benefits of a ketogenic state, it's a bonus.

Feeling a tad sluggish today. Probably the first day I'm actually in ketosis. However, my goal isn't full blown ketosis anyway. Calorie restriction via low/no carb, if I happen to enjoy the benefits of a ketogenic state, it's a bonus.
    haha....apologies...psychosomatic maybe....maybe you'll start to utilize ur other energy sources

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Put a spoon of butter in your coffee. This will help.

Thanks
    ~T

"I stay mostly by myself, but it's OK, they know me here"
    Follow my personal story here: Anabolic Steroids - Steroid.com Forums - An honest journey - Blogs

Thread Information