Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

*** DISCUSSION *** Are all caloric deficits created equal?

Let's refer to them as person A and person B. Both have a TDEE of 2500 calories, are 5'11 at 190lbs and 16% bodyfat. They share the same goal - to add a bit of muscle and reduce bodyfat.

Person A has decided to eat at 200 calories over maintenance and rely on activity (cardio) to create his caloric deficit. He's burning 700 calories via cardio, leaving him at a deficit of 500 behind TDEE.

Person B has decided not to do cardio at all, but is eating 2000 calories/day, 500 below his maintenance. Both are using identical weight training regimens.

When all is said and done, both are at a deficit of 500 calories under TDEE. Do you feel they'll see the same results? Is a caloric deficit a caloric deficit? Personally, I don't think so. My thoughts...

Person A is eating more to fuel activity (training/recovery, cardio, etc.) but also burning more calories with said activity. However, he is feeding his body. He's fueling his muscles, he's keeping his system processing.

Person B is under eating and not doing as much physical activity. He's not eating to fuel any growth and is relying solely on his body 'eating itself' via caloric restriction.

For optimal fat loss, I like a good combination of both. A slight caloric deficit plus plenty of cardio usually is the right recipe. However, when a plateau is reached, I always recommend people try to increase activity before reducing calories further.

Use this thread to discuss. Please keep it respectful!
    Last edited by gbrice75; 03-11-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Thread Information