• 1 Post By sjamal1023
  • 1 Post By gbrice75
  • 1 Post By Ahmed Yasser
  • 1 Post By baseline_9
  • 1 Post By Tx89

Thread: Cheat meal in cutting

Ahmed Yasser is offline Junior Member

Cheat meal in cutting

Can i eat cheat meal every weekend in cutting ?
    e.g. { fried chicken , piece of chocolate cake and cola } !!!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Yasser View Post
    Can i eat cheat meal every weekend in cutting ?
    e.g. { fried chicken , piece of chocolate cake and cola } !!!
    Personally I wouldn't cheat just for the sake of cheating, but if it helps you psychologically, I say go for it. I'd recommend the cheat meal as your last meal of the day. This will ensure you don't 'get the taste' and then spend the rest of the day bingeing, if you had the cheat meal early in the day for example. Further, you can offset this somewhat by doing more cardio the following day, and/or your most intense workout (e.g. legs).

I like that you're asking about a cheat MEAL though, vs. a cheat DAY.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 04-11-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Cause' I type "personally" too much!

sjamal1023 is offline Junior Member
    I would say it depends on just how hard you're cutting. If you earned it, you earned it. Also, i think it also depends on how your body is at the moment. I personally like to go with full diet breaks for 10 days every 6-8 weeks. Look up full diet breaks Lyle McDonald. Works wonders. And I'm not sure anyone here would say go for a cola

sjamal1023 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Personally I wouldn't cheat just for the sake of cheating, but if it helps you psychologically, I say go for it. Personally, I'd recommend the cheat meal as your last meal of the day. This will ensure you don't 'get the taste' and then spend the rest of the day bingeing, if you had the cheat meal early in the day for example. Further, you can offset this somewhat by doing more cardio the following day, and/or your most intense workout (e.g. legs).

I like that you're asking about a cheat MEAL though, vs. a cheat DAY.
    Listen to the man!
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sjamal1023 View Post
    I would say it depends on just how hard you're cutting. If you earned it, you earned it.
    I have to respectfully disagree with this mindset. I used to think like this too - re: 'earning' a cheat meal. But then Nark enlightened me: "Rewarding good eating with bad eating creates a negative relationship with food".

The majority of people who are/have been overweight already have a negative relationship with food (i'm one of them), something that should be improved upon in tandem with the physical aspect. It's the same reason full blown cheat days will never be a good idea for guys like me, while they may be ok for other types (mesomorphs, ectomorphs, or people who simply don't have food issues).

But again, this doesn't mean don't have a cheat meal. It simply means approaching it differently in terms of how you think about it. It's not a reward, it's a break.

Quote Originally Posted by sjamal1023 View Post
    Also, i think it also depends on how your body is at the moment. I personally like to go with full diet breaks for 10 days every 6-8 weeks. Look up full diet breaks Lyle McDonald. Works wonders. And I'm not sure anyone here would say go for a cola
    Agree with this. I've been trying to keep my 'cheats' relatively clean. Sushi, etc.
    krugerr likes this.

Ahmed Yasser is offline Junior Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	281817_341544582612163_881172812_n.jpg 
Views:	21524 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	137130
    Look guys to phil heath ha ha ha
    gbrice75 likes this.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Yasser View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	281817_341544582612163_881172812_n.jpg 
Views:	21524 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	137130
    Look guys to phil heath ha ha ha
    Unfortunately these guys dont count. They're genetically gifted in every possible sense. I wish I could just sit and eat a box of donuts.

Damn, I watched the video of Kai Greene the other day after Mr Olympia, he must of eaten 250$ worth of food at a diner, she just kept bringing him pancakes, milkshakes, steak, ribs, burgers, chips... I havent competed so I guess after you step off stage you're just in the state where you can eat anything!

Listen to GB though, dont setup preplanned cheat days, just have it if you NEED it, and when it happens, dont gorge, just satisfy the cravings and stop.

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    I think it is good to have a cheat every so often, to keep you sane,not on set days tho, have one on days you really crave one, some weeks you might not have one, some weeks you might. I also agree with the dude who suggests having a break from your diet once every 6-8 week's, this will boost (recharge) your metabolism. Sometimes if your metabolism slows you can go though all the pain of cutting without making any progress, having a scheduled break eating at maintenance for a week or two, once every 6-8 week's will do you more good then harm.

Tx89 is offline Associate Member
    Whats your bf% OP?

I'd say optimum refeed frequency (where you could incorporate a cheat) depends quite a lot on how lean you already are. Besides the other points the guys already made of course.

Personally I make a lot better cutting progress if I refeed only every 10-14 days and unfortunately held myself back quite a bit by doing it weekly for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx89 View Post
    Whats your bf% OP?

I'd say optimum refeed frequency (where you could incorporate a cheat) depends quite a lot on how lean you already are. Besides the other points the guys already made of course.

Personally I make a lot better cutting progress if I refeed only every 10-14 days and unfortunately held myself back quite a bit by doing it weekly for too long.
    On that note, we should also point out what should be the obvious difference between a refeed and a cheat. Too many people use their 'refeed' day as an excuse to have a full blown cheat day.

I've been approaching my refeed days with an IIFYM type mindset, and throwing in a cheat meal to boot. As I've said in other posts though, my idea of IIFYM seems to differ greatly from the widely accepted interpretation of the philosophy.

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member

On that note, we should also point out what should be the obvious difference between a refeed and a cheat. Too many people use their 'refeed' day as an excuse to have a full blown cheat day.

I've been approaching my refeed days with an IIFYM type mindset, and throwing in a cheat meal to boot. As I've said in other posts though, my idea of IIFYM seems to differ greatly from the widely accepted interpretation of the philosophy.
    Gb...I sent u a pm

-Chomp Chomp Chomp-Clink Clink Clink-

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    It depends....

It depends on what you class as a cheat meal....

Can you fit it into your macros for the day? If so then I wouldn't stress it too much and if it helps you to keep on track all week then one scheduled meal per week that fits ur macros is fine.... I'd actually encourage it to keep u from going insane....

If your cheat is going to be 3 tubs of ice cream, burgers and chips then ur not gonna fit it in ur macros and ur progress will be slower..... If u go over ur daily calories by 2000 because of a crazy cheat meal then u have just put 2000 calories back into the pot....

Structured re-feeds would be a much better option if your the type of person to get carried away with cheat meals..... Structure ur weekly macronutrient intake to allow for a few more flexible meals at the weekend or whatever....

Maybe hold back 5g of fat each day and 30g of carbs... After 6 days that's 30g of fat and 180g of carbs..... You could then add that back in for a re-feed meal.....

Just keep an eye on your macros and you can be much more flexible.....
    gbrice75 likes this.
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Tx89 is offline Associate Member

X2

My approach is exactly the same. Using IIFYM this way actually helps me stay sane while dieting without having a full blown cheat day like I used to (which obviously hindered progress big time)
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Structured re-feeds would be a much better option if your the type of person to get carried away with cheat meals..... Structure ur weekly macronutrient intake to allow for a few more flexible meals at the weekend or whatever....
    ^^ this

Thread Information