Thread: Raw Milk

MrMayhem is offline Associate Member

Raw Milk

I know alot of people in the bodybuilding world are 'anti-dairy' and thats fine, but to those who enjoy milk or may know a little something about it

In the good ol' USA, it's against federal law to drink raw milk, but in theory, if one could get it and that particular person were to drink it, it seems to have major health benefits, mostly for the immune system.

This is what I was just reading over on RealMilk.com:

Raw milk contains many components that kill pathogens and strengthen the immune system. These include lacto-peroxidase, lacto-ferrin, anti-microbial components of blood (leukocytes, B-macrophages, neutrophils, T-lymphocytes, immunoglobulins and antibodies), special carbohydrates (polysaccharides and oligosaccharides), special fats (medium chain fatty acids, phospholipids and spingolipids), complement enzymes, lysozyme, hormones, growth factors, mucins, fibronectin, glycomacropeptide, beneficial bacteria, bifidus factor and B12-binding protein. These components are largely inactivated by the heat of pasteurization and ultrapasteurization. For further information, see Part I of our Campaign for Real Milk PowerPoint Presentation.

This five-fold protective system destroys pathogens in the milk, stimulates the Immune system, builds healthy gut wall, prevents absorption of pathogens and toxins in the gut and ensures assimilation of all the nutrients.

So powerful is the anti-microbial system in raw milk that when large quantities of pathogens are added to raw milk, their numbers diminish over time and eventually disappear. For a discussion of scientific papers showing the pathogen-killing properties of raw milk, see Does Raw Milk Kill Pathogens? by Dr. Ted Beals.

It is important to stress, however, that even this magnificent anti-microbial system can be overwhelmed by highly unsanitary conditions. That is why we do not recommend raw milk from confinement dairies, or raw milk that is produced under unsanitary conditions.

END ARTICLE

Does anyone else know of the health benefits of raw milk? (sometimes called 'pet milk')
    What about potential risks? (besides most of it being produced in unsanitary conditions)

Thx in advance for any information you may be able to supply.

Disclaimer: I do not condone drinking raw milk. This thread is for educational purposes only.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned

ksingh93 is offline Associate Member
    When i was in india i used to drink raw milk nd it tastes alot alot better then packed milk and is a natural mass gainer for hard gainers i never got any health issues by drinking it

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I grew up drinking raw cow's milk. At times, I also had access to raw goat's milk, both fabulous. 11 years of drinking raw-milk (boiled and stored in the refrigerator), not a single health issue. I don't even remember being sick, such as catching common cold throughout pre-school as well as elementary school. Makes one thinks twice about the hysteria that revolves around the possible health risks of consuming raw milk.

As of today, I refuse to drink milk because I don't have access to raw milk anymore. I do, however, only purchase cheese made of raw cow's, sheep's and goat's milk, same goes for clotted cream.

The milk industry can keep its UHT pasteurization to itself, as I will continue to pass for the rest of my life...

rollingthunder is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    11 years of drinking raw-milk (boiled and stored in the refrigerator)
    in what sense is "boiled" milk "raw"? i thought "raw" meant "uncooked"?

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
    in what sense is "boiled" milk "raw"? i thought "raw" meant "uncooked"?
    You must be confused

Boiled raw milk is still raw milk. The boiling temp. is not high enough to cause damage to the micro nutritional values that are present in raw milk.

Pasteurization and UHT processing techniques on the other hand, is a different story.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    unless you have a cow in your garage, or you have a buddy that has a cow in his garage, better off with pasteurized milk. raw milk needs to be consumed right away.

however, if the raw milk you are getting is from a cow that lives in a manure filled pasture, there is a very high chance that there will be e. coli, salmonella, or a whole list of other nasties present in the milk.

So, in order for you to be able to consume raw milk safely, it needs to come from a "free range" cow and consumed immediately. Even then, you are still taking a chance.......

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    I grew up drinking raw cow's milk. At times, I also had access to raw goat's milk, both fabulous. 11 years of drinking raw-milk (boiled and stored in the refrigerator), not a single health issue. I don't even remember being sick, such as catching common cold throughout pre-school as well as elementary school. Makes one thinks twice about the hysteria that revolves around the possible health risks of consuming raw milk.

As of today, I refuse to drink milk because I don't have access to raw milk anymore. I do, however, only purchase cheese made of raw cow's, sheep's and goat's milk, same goes for clotted cream.

The milk industry can keep its UHT pasteurization to itself, as I will continue to pass for the rest of my life...
    I agree. Can't beat the good ol' raw materials. I can't stand the fact that it has become SO HARD around here to find real, wholesome food!

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    unless you have a cow in your garage, or you have a buddy that has a cow in his garage, better off with pasteurized milk. raw milk needs to be consumed right away.

however, if the raw milk you are getting is from a cow that lives in a manure filled pasture, there is a very high chance that there will be e. coli, salmonella, or a whole list of other nasties present in the milk.

So, in order for you to be able to consume raw milk safely, it needs to come from a "free range" cow and consumed immediately. Even then, you are still taking a chance.......
    yes, but if the above info I posted is true, and the raw milk kills pathogens and bacteria, wouldn't that, in turn, make it safe to drink?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMayhem View Post
    yes, but if the above info I posted is true, and the raw milk kills pathogens and bacteria, wouldn't that, in turn, make it safe to drink?
    No. It is not an antiseptic by any means. The claim is that it has immune system boosting properties.

Gotcha. Makes sense. Well... While we're on the subject of milk, I can and will do my own research, but make it a little easy on me, what are some health benefits to almond milk?
    Last edited by MrMayhem; 04-14-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: typo

auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Milk seems to be the topic of the month ATM

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's not illegal to by raw milk or consume it. You can get it in some health food stores and you can purchase it in most states from your local farmer although laws have made it more and more difficult. You can not take it across state lines in most cases or it becomes a big deal.

Raw milk is supposed to have many good properties to it such as good enzymes that help a lot of babies or small kids who have allergies or digestive issues.

true, I thought it was illegal federally, but I was wrong. Its illegal in certain states though... IN THAT CASE... Yes, its available at a local store here, but sold as pet milk that says ''Not for human consumption'' on it. u have to special order it and pick it up immediately. So Im assuming its illegal here, but still looking into it.

Thread Information