Spartan ^ is offline Associate Member

Need some solid advice on diet

Stats:
    5'9"
    199lbs
    BF: between 17-19%

I have been lifting for a long time and have eaten clean on and off throughout my lifting years. Im definately not a noob to this game although I am starting to doubt myself lately. I took a promo at work and started sitting in meetings, or behind a desk for 8+ hours a day. During my first year alone at the new position, work was so demanding and the travel schedule was so erratic, that my gym time cut in half and I was eating when/what I could. I didnt eat terrible but not clean like I have for years in the past. In the past couple of years, I gained about 10 lbs and lost alot of my definition. I have never been completely shredded. Lowest BF % Ive ever been at was 12-13% at about 187 lbs. At the first of the year, I got a transfer and am able to hit the gym hard again. So I started back. I work out everyday again, started cardio and HIIT and eating clean and counting macros. I roughly eat 50/30/20 and its all clean. If anything the protein is just a bit higher in the ratio a day. Heres the kicker to all of this, I started out at 211. I dropped down to 197 in a matter of just a few weeks and my strength gains are improving, cardio is improving and my muscle mass is improving, but in the last two to three weeks, I havent dropped a pound. Ive actually gained weight on a calorie deficient diet. This goes against everything that used to work for me. Im confused and need a little help on this. Goal is to be back around 190 with less than 15% bf. Why am I gaining weight and not losing BF at a decent rate? I have no know health issues. Blood work was top notch at last checkup. Thanks in advance......

Heres the diet:
    Roughly 1700 calories a day

Breakfast
    6 eggwhites
    1 cup steel cut oats
    1 slice ezekiel bread -7 sprouted grain

Mid morning meal
    Banana
    Can of tuna

Lunch
    6-8 oz grilled skinless boneless chicken breast
    1 cup brocolli
    1/8 cup mushrooms
    1/4 bell pepper
    1/8 cup white onion
    (mushrooms/pepper/onion grilled with chicken)

Afternoon meal
    4 egg whites
    1 slice ezekiel bread

Post workout
    Wheybolic protein shake (60g protein/7g carbs/1g fat)

Dinner
    6 oz chuck steak
    2 yam patties

Total macros
    233g protein/124g carbs/33g fat

ksingh93 is offline Associate Member
    Ur gaining weight because u jus started lifting again so thats the muscle weight or lbm or you are not caloric deficent because your macro breakdown is not accurate do it again

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    First do a split brakdown for each meal cals/pro/carbs/fats/ also if you are gaining rather than losing you are definitely not in a deficit so there must be something wrong that you are not stating or something, is very simple, you intake less than you burn and you will burn that fat....

Quote Originally Posted by ksingh93 View Post
    Ur gaining weight because u jus started lifting again so thats the muscle weight or lbm or you are not caloric deficent because your macro breakdown is not accurate do it again
    2lbs of lean mass in a couple weeks? No way man. My macros are spot on. I count everything. I even count sugars and fiber. I do hope you are right though and it is LBM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    First do a split brakdown for each meal cals/pro/carbs/fats/ also if you are gaining rather than losing you are definitely not in a deficit so there must be something wrong that you are not stating or something, is very simple, you intake less than you burn and you will burn that fat....
    I split each meal and am definately in a deficiency. My TDEE is 1962.60 and Im eating right at or just under 1700 cals depending on if I sub in a fish or drink another shake on non workout days. I used to be able to cut on 200-300 cal deficit. Im wondering should I cut more like 500 cals? I have never had an issue cutting before. Tehn again, I have never been sedentary as long or not been in the gym for this length of time. I agree that less Cals equals loss but that isnt happening in this case. I seriously doubt I've put on two lbs of lean mass in a couple of weeks. Could this be muscle memory?

Thread Information