Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: How much protein?

jump100 is offline Junior Member

How much protein?

Guys - Just wondering about the adequate protein consumption. I have spoke with three different doctors and they all told me that too much protein can hurt your kidneys and liver in the long term. I am 160 pounds and I was told by a doctor that my max should be around 120 grams of protein daily. Long term, he said, too much protein will hurt your kidneys. He also said that your body can only absorb so much protein and excess protein will be disposed by your body.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    most doctors don't know shit about sports nutrition. the proof is I went to the doc several years ago. Maybe 15% body fat at the time, and pushing maybe 235lbs. I obviously spend a lot of time at the gym. But this dingbat points to the BMI chart and says I need to get down to something like 180lbs? forget him......

if what your doctor says is true, then all body builders would have stressed kidneys.

The amount of protein you need when lifting is a minimum of 1.5 grams of protein per one pound of lean body mass (total weight - body fat)

I eat about 310 grams of protein per day and my kidneys are fine. And I'm 52 so go figure...
    hellomycognomen likes this.

rollingthunder is offline Associate Member
    1 to 2 gms protein per day per pound of lean body mass, depending on how hard you are training. you don't indicate your body fat %, but let's say it's 20%. you say your scale weight is 160, so 160 - 20%(32)=128, so in this example, you want to make sure to get at least 128 gms of protein/day or more if you are training hard.

Thread Information