View Poll Results: is the anabolic window fact or fiction?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • fact

2 40.00%
  • fiction

3 60.00%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: is the post workout anabolic window fact or fiction

bartman314 is offline Productive Member

is the post workout anabolic window fact or fiction

i found this recent review article, which leans towards fiction: JISSN | Full text | Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?

that being said, the authors net recommendation is to supplement/meal pre and post within 3-4 hours of each other, bracketing the workout. you can do the math for your own workout to see what this means for timing before and after.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I think an accurate statement is that it is "over-exaggerated".

Way back when, there was some test data floating around, suggesting this anabolic window. And to a certain extent it's true. But it's also been over hyped.

Some would have you believe that you need to upload fast acting whey protein isolate, AND douse it liberally with glucose to help transport this protein to the cells, all within 45 minutes post workout, to maximize the effectiveness of the window.

This was marketed heavily by the supplement industry, and of course, the body building community bought it "hook, line and sinker". I even have a book on my shelf that is laden with scientific studies supporting the 45 minute window.

Yet there are opposing studies, concluding that the window is NOT 45 minutes, but up to 24 hours. And because such a long window, then in reality, if you are eating to your macros, then it becomes not much of a window after all.

I think the window is more prominent for those that are eating protein minimally, as is the case with most people. But the body building community is consuming much more than the recommended NTE (not to exceed) 1.25grams/protein per pound of LBM for the most part. And because of this excess, timing your protein intake in such a way so you can gulp down another quick 50 grams of protein PWO will only have a minimal impact, if any.

So the real question is, "Are you eating to your macros, including protein"?

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    TR nailed it, the anabolic window as we know it is just a marketing ploy to lure gullible gym goers.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    When you have had an intense workout and really broken-down the body your better starting the rebuilding phase as soon as possible, also when your carrying a lot of muscle tissue getting the food in as soon as possible helps to the repairing process and maintenance. I know a lot of fitness, bodybuilders and strength athletes and I don't know one who doesn't feed as soon as possible after a workout. I personally couldn't imagine waiting because why wait I need to supply my body with the nutrients as soon as possible and ive got to maintain 260lbs so like Dorian, Culter and Coleman states get the food in as soon as possible and start the muscle building process as soon as possible. The main 3 meal times are breakfast, pre and post workout.

Its something what's been done for decades and its works then suddenly a study comes out and changes some peoples minds set and everyone starts quoting when in reality let anyone try and maintain a large muscular body and you will see that feeding straight after a workout is a must. I've tried not feeding straight after which was unexpected and it just doesn't feel right, I feel flat and I my body is telling me to feed but guess you do what works for you, all I say is try both ways and see for yourself. Its hard enough anyway fitting on all the cals to support if your carrying something different and if your aren't carrying something different try feeding after a workout
    Last edited by marcus300; 12-30-2014 at 01:12 AM.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I ran a tough Mudder earlier this year. I would have to say this was the most physical workout I ever experienced and my body was completely depleted.

I needed water and electrolytes as soon as I finished.

*mikro* is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat
    I ran a tough Mudder earlier this year. I would have to say this was the most physical workout I ever experienced and my body was completely depleted. I needed water and electrolytes as soon as I finished.
    same here it was exhausting! I left my friends behind and cranked it up at the end. Where did u do it?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    It's definitely not fictitious, and I'm not sure the question of whether or not it actually exists has ever been debated to a large degree. What HAS been debated (beaten to death) is the length of said window; for many years, people preached (parroted) a 'magical' 1 hour window where, if you didn't get all your PWO nutrition in during that window, you missed out on a huge opportunity to grow.

There have been plenty of solid studies pointing to the fact the anabolic window (after an intense workout which is needed to stimulate this 'environment') is open well beyond an hour, upwards of 24 hours, with protein synthesis actually increasing several hours PWO, vs. the dogmatic 1 hour.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yup .....this one has been beaten to death quite a bit in the past. I am one of those guys who wakes up and eats, waits an hour and trains and has a pwo shake handy. From there I space my meals out every 2 to 3 hours (I work nights) and eat when hungry. I have tried both ways over the years and choose the approach stated.....why? Because I get better results. I use them as guidelines and it's easier to break up my meals into like size portions. I guess much like doing a tough mudder or long distance run and I need to rehydrate afterwards and not wait (I know ....apples and oranges) I prefer to start the feed.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    ........and the debate continues.

So let's take this to an extreme example and see what's what.

The protein in eggs burn up to six hours or so.

So let's say I eat eight eggs two hours pre workout. Kill it in the gym for an hour

................does this mean that the remaining three hours the eggs are burning are no longer available to the body for protein synthesis?

The protein demands of the body increase PWO, and since the eggs, the best natural source of protein, are already available in the blood supply, and already feeding muscle tissue, I think significantly decreases the demands for additional protein. To the point where, if you are already consuming the maximum amount of protein your body can assimilate, I think additional protein overloads the system and just ends up in the toilet.

I will preface this comment by saying the prior comment may not apply if you are NOT already eating sufficient protein. If you are not eating sufficient protein, generally less than a gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, then this window would have significance in your workout.

My .02

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Great point Roman. I've always been an advocate of preworkout nutrition. IMO, it's just as if not more important than PWO nutrition. Now, I've trained fasted, but that was during IF which is a whole other topic and approach. But with a 'standard' bodybuilding type diet, I believe proper preworkout nutrition strongly diminishes the (perceived) severity of the need for (immediate) PWO nutrition.

Obviously, the correct approach is OVERALL balanced nutrition. One cannot be overly concerned with pre/post workout nutrition, while neglecting the rest of his/her day.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Ehhhh,

I think it helps, but it's over hyped.

But, this being said - the harder you work/workout & the bigger you are - the more you will strip your body of energy < sooo, you want to refuel - you are running on fumes at that point.

I doubt anyone is eating 1,500 cal right before a workout.

But, at the same time - I don't think you need to mix a shame on your way to the car. Waiting 20-30 minutes isn't gonna do jack shit.

All speculation - no way to be proven in any form of study. We're all different, I see guys eat what I eat on cheat days every other day a yet, they are leaner & bigger.

And don't even drink pwo shakes - ever

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

So let's say I eat eight eggs two hours pre workout. Kill it in the gym for an hour

................does this mean that the remaining three hours the eggs are burning are no longer available to the body for protein synthesis?

The protein demands of the body increase PWO, and since the eggs, the best natural source of protein, are already available in the blood supply, and already feeding muscle tissue, I think significantly decreases the demands for additional protein. To the point where, if you are already consuming the maximum amount of protein your body can assimilate, I think additional protein overloads the system and just ends up in the toilet.

I will preface this comment by saying the prior comment may not apply if you are NOT already eating sufficient protein. If you are not eating sufficient protein, generally less than a gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, then this window would have significance in your workout.

My .02
    TR I believe you to be a much more knowledgeable Guy then myself and that I will glady yield to but there are only so many hours in the day and my meal planning is based around my schedule more then anything. I am Carb sensitive and like to split them up throughout the day more because I hate to feel gorged and I feel better this way then cramming my carbs in before and after a workout. That has also been a hotly debated topic.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    Ehhhh,

I think it helps, but it's over hyped.

But, this being said - the harder you work/workout & the bigger you are - the more you will strip your body of energy < sooo, you want to refuel - you are running on fumes at that point.

I doubt anyone is eating 1,500 cal right before a workout.

But, at the same time - I don't think you need to mix a shame on your way to the car. Waiting 20-30 minutes isn't gonna do jack shit.

All speculation - no way to be proven in any form of study. We're all different, I see guys eat what I eat on cheat days every other day a yet, they are leaner & bigger.

And don't even drink pwo shakes - ever
    But the question here is: do you HAVE to refuel immediately after a workout (1hr window) or are there other more important factors to consider?

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

My .02
    This is why some studies show a PWO anabolic "window". The people who got the benefit were either taking in inadequate protein and compared to others who still took inadequate protein but a lot more OR they were done on fasted individuals who had undergone glycogen depleting protocols.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Do you have to? - no

What are you gonna do, die or what

Burn, your muscle clean off - lol

Better, sure - life changing, I don't think so

I follow it maybe half of the time - and my progress is just fine

I did the hour window thing for about 3-4 months or so. Really focused on it as much as I could - Id run home for a shake right after a workout. Did I see a difference? < Nope

We are all just Guinea pigs to this study and then that study......which we live and die by until another study comes out. I still believe that you should do your research but let trial and error decide if you are going to internalize it.
    marcus300 likes this.

Thread Information