Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimmyinkedup

Thread: Chicken Breast and Brown Rice - Improvement Ideas?

Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member

Chicken Breast and Brown Rice - Improvement Ideas?

I love my chicken breast and brown rice but I certainly dont love the flavour. I often boil or bake my chicken but am finding it increasingly hard to get down with brown rice. Its just bland and uninteresting. I've tried various spices on the chicken but nothing seems to really work. I dont wanna spoil the nutritional value by drowning it in some marinade either.

If anyone has any methods to share to liven things up a bit that would be awesome.

BK

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Seasoning and marinades are what I use to make it taste better. You would be surprised what just marinating it in Italian salad dressing does for flavor

Arete is offline Junior Member
    Balsamic vinager marinade for chicken and the rice you can get some meat spices or furry spices and really add some flavor. Also a table spoon or 2 of coconut oil when you boil the rice.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Slow cooker.

I throw 2-3 days worth in at a time. Cover with boiling water. Add some stock cube or seasonings and voila. Leave it over night and in the morning you have moist flavoured meals.

(I use a lot of water, and the use the remaining 'sauce' as the sauce for my rice/couscous)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    do you add in vegetables to your rice?

as the others have stated, marinating helps

what about whole wheat or pasta made from vegetables to switch it up?

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Marinate for 5 minutes in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and tabasco sauce.

Grill it in high heat, dont let it boil.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Spruce up the rice as well. Use fat free chicken stock to make it instead of plain water. Makes a huge difference in the flavor. Also do you like hot sauces? I lobe Tabasco Chipolte sauce on my chicken. Awesome flavor. Bit high in sodium but man it tastes great imo and adds tons of flavor.
    Joco71 likes this.

bloodchoke is offline Member
    I cook all grains in veggie or chicken stock; broth will flavor them even more. I also top most of my meals with a few grape tomatoes, chopped green onions, and chopped radish.

If you really want mix it up, start using farro, instead. You'll throw rocks at brown rice. It's super chewy and hearty.

Granovich is offline Senior Member
    get the bbq sauce" thick and spicy " from bodybuilding.com
    its calorie free.
    make chicken taste great
    soy sauce is nice too . the low sodium one .

diragz is offline New Member
    Same boat as op
    I always was under the impression that stock was very high in sodium so tended to avoid it. Tried chicken stock once and couldnt notice a difference

I use a slow cooker but the rice sticks to the sizes and is a hassle to get off, and its really sticky. That normal?

bloodchoke is offline Member
    It's difficult to make a better investment than a rice cooker.

solit1ea is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diragz View Post
    Same boat as op
    I always was under the impression that stock was very high in sodium so tended to avoid it. Tried chicken stock once and couldnt notice a difference

I use a slow cooker but the rice sticks to the sizes and is a hassle to get off, and its really sticky. That normal?
    They make lower sodium stock now.... I believe Swanson(?) is the common brand. I normally either do stock, or Mrs. Dash, or Both! For chicken you can try Lawry's marinade too, they got like 15 different flavors now.

I usually do a stir fry: Cube my chicken and throw it in the pan with some salt and pepper. Then toss in my frozen stir fry veggies and get those warmed up. Then put in some Lawry's and let that get absorbed in there (BAM?!?). Last I toss in the rice to soak up the remainder of the sauce and voila! Stir fry in less than 15 min.

Rice cook= great investment. Bought my at SEARS when they were going out of business up here for $20. Its a rice cooker/fryer/steamer and its awesome! If it comes out sticky add more water?

Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member
    Lots of good suggestions above.

I've been using a BBQ sauce (sparingly) lately which hasnt been too bad. There was also a mention by another BM in one of the other threads about using garlic butter. I gave that a shot and it made a huge difference with baked chicken.

manstrom is offline New Member
    I've got some spicy chicken masala seasoning I toss on my chicken along with a little extra cumin and fenugreek powder. Once I'm back stateside I'll probably go back to my super spicy (I use ghost peppers) homemade BBQ sauce.

Thread Information