CrossOps is offline Associate Member

Any Spirulina Fans?

It's considered a protein powerhouse, and considering its serving size, it looks to be a remarkable one.

Spirulina is a cyanobacterium (blue-green algae) that can be consumed by humans and other animals. There are two species, Arthrospira platensis and Arthrospira maxima. Arthrospira is cultivated worldwide; used as a dietary supplement as well as a whole food; and is also available in tablet, flake and powder form.

Dried spirulina contains about 60% (51–71%) protein.[2][3] It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids, with slightly lower amounts of methionine, cysteine, and lysine compared to certain animal-derived products.[4] From a nutritional point of view, spirulina is no better than other protein sources, but is more expensive gram-for-gram and may have adverse interactions when taken with prescribed drugs.[5]

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Also has too much sodium...

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    It's sold in every ayurvedic medicine shop here, and most regular ones also. The science around it seems fairly weak as far as I can tell but if you have more insights around it I am all ears.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Being ocean-born, I would be concerned with undesirable contaminants with consistent high doses, similar to what might be found in low grade fish oils, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post
    Being ocean-born, I would be concerned with undesirable contaminants with consistent high doses, similar to what might be found in low grade fish oils, etc.
    It is of concern if the source is not reputable, I definitely agree. But I personally do not purchase it at any local vitamin shop / gnc etc. And consider we use next to no salt with the exception of an occasional Israeli Rock Salt or Himalayan Rock Salt, the additional sodium is not really high on my radar.

stanman is offline New Member
    Mostly it's grown on farms, I like it now and then, I tend to have a great sleep when I take at bedtime. I see it as a good all round tonic, when feeling run down, though it'll not add much to your macro's.

Quote Originally Posted by stanman View Post
    Mostly it's grown on farms, I like it now and then, I tend to have a great sleep when I take at bedtime. I see it as a good all round tonic, when feeling run down, though it'll not add much to your macro's.
    Interesting. The place we purchase from is a great supplier, and it appears to be pretty laden with protein. This is a very underrated supplement when purchased from a real source, a reputable one. Not some pill at a vitamin shop, I mean raw form powder.

This plant from the sea is a highly concentrated source of protein, chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It has 26 times the calcium of milk, 35 times the protein of meat, and is easily absorbed and utilized by the body. It is often used by sport and fitness enthusiasts.

Spirulina is an all natural food source that is made up of a highly nutritious micro fresh water plant that is more than 60% proteins and amino acids. (4 times higher than that of fish or beef). Spirulina is also packed with a multitude of bio available vitamins including 4 times more B 12 than most animal liver. Because it grows in a naturally alkaline environment, it is also comprised of a wide range of essential minerals such as Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, Sodium, Phosphorus, Calcium etc. Spirulina is also an abundant source of Beta- carotene (40 time more than spinach), and gamma-Linolein acid. Further, it contains one of the strongest natural occurring anti-oxidants know, called Phycocyanin which can only be found in Spirulina.

There are nearly 1,200 peer-reviewed scientific articles evaluating its health benefits.

Quoting from Dr. Axe:

1. Detoxes Heavy Metals (especially Arsenic)
    2. Eliminates Candida
    3. Improves HIV/AIDS
    4. Helps Prevent Cancer
    5. Lowers Blood Pressure
    6. Reduces Cholesterol
    7. Lowers Chance of Stroke
    8. Boosts Energy
    9. Speeds Up Weight Loss

60% protein and an excellent source of vitamins A, K1, K2, B12 and iron, manganese and chromium
    A rich source of health-giving phytonutrients such as carotenoids, GLA, SOD and phycocyanin
    2800% more beta-carotene than carrots
    3900% more iron than spinach
    600% more protein than tofu
    280% more antioxidants than blueberries

This nutritional profile leads to a number of health benefits, including:

Strengthened immune system
    Boosted energy level
    Supported cellular health
    Cardiovascular, eye and brain health

The major reason why I prefer spirulina to chlorella? Because it’s arguably the most nutrient-dense food on the planet. Taken as an average of different spirulina species, just one ounce contains the following nutritional content (24):

Calories (81)
    Protein (39g)
    Dietary fiber (1g)
    Sugars (.9g)
    Fats:
    Total fat (3% Daily Value)
    Saturated fat (4%)
    Omega-3 fatty acids (230 mg)
    Omega-6 fatty acids (351 mg)
    Minerals:
    Copper (85%)
    Iron (44%)
    Manganese (27%)
    Magnesium (14%)
    Sodium (12%)
    Potassium (11%)
    Zinc (4%)
    Phosphorus (3%)
    Calcium (3%)
    Selenium (3%)
    Vitamins:
    Riboflavin (60%)
    Thiamin (44%)
    Niacin (18%)
    Pantothenic Acid (10%)
    Vitamin K (9%)
    Vitamin E (7%)
    Folate (7%)
    Vitamin B6 (5%)
    Vitamin C (5%)
    Vitamin A (3%)

Some members may want to take a closer look at Spirulina, the raw form powder, not a knock off pill that has been neutered to put on shelves. This is an excellent supplement.

Get the powder, not a pill.
    Last edited by CrossOps; 10-15-2016 at 05:21 AM.

Getting the powder to add to shakes together with the amla powder.

Some thing is wrong in your nutritional content, one ounce is 28gr... it cant have 39grs protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Getting the powder to add to shakes together with the amla powder.

Some thing is wrong in your nutritional content, one ounce is 28gr... it cant have 39grs protein.
    Mr. BB my apology, I pulled data from 2 excerpts. That caused confusion because I should have broken it into 2 quotes.

With that said, I do believe this particular supplement warrants deeper research by everyone interested as it is an absolutely amazing product in my opinion. It takes like CRAP, absolute CRAP, lol.

This should be a top pick in anyone's shakes. This is one of my top 5 favorites hands down, and with good reason. I didn't even get into the pubmed clinical studies on it, which are nothing short of stellar IMO.

And if I understand what I was reading clearly, the aquaponics based NFT farms can now do variants without the sodium issues that some people mention.

Excellent product.
    Last edited by CrossOps; 10-15-2016 at 05:52 AM.

BB as far as AMLA Powder... what can you tell me about it? Is it more of a supplement for hair and skin or are there other benefits to it as well? I am a YOOGE fan of minerals, oils, and vitamins in there raw form, not capsulated.

But I am unfamiliar with AMLA.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossOps View Post
    BB as far as AMLA Powder... what can you tell me about it? Is it more of a supplement for hair and skin or are there other benefits to it as well? I am a YOOGE fan of minerals, oils, and vitamins in there raw form, not capsulated.

But I am unfamiliar with AMLA.
    Out of the chart in antioxidants, 200 times the antioxidant content of blueberries.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...44/core-reader
    Last edited by Mr.BB; 10-15-2016 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Out of the chart in antioxidants, 200 times the antioxidant content of blueberries.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...44/core-reader
    Wow, gotta add this one to the arsenal. Thank you for the recommendation.

Thread Information