Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By GearHeaded
  • 2 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd
  • 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd
  • 2 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 2 Post By Windex
  • 1 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By Getsomehate

Thread: most anabolic food BANG for your $ buck

  1. #1
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5,009

    most anabolic food BANG for your $ buck

    so on my current bulk I'm trying to eat on a budget . sure life was great back in the day when I had a fairly high disposable income and meals consisted of salmon, shrimp, ribeye steak, tuna steaks, etc. but sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you need to make do and adjust.

    heres what I came across at a recent grocery haul on a strict budget

    so I'm in the meat section looking for some cheap steaks (no such thing). when out of the corner of my eye i see this ginormous chunk of meat . I'm looking at little 12oz steaks for like $7.. but to the left of me is a 10 pound hunk of ham for $11 . yes I said 10 POUNDS. so screw $7 for one steak, I'm buying the 10 pounds of meat for $11. and it was lean.

    so I take this giant hunk of meat and chop it all up into small pieces and throw it into the crock pot. now I've got lean meat ready to go for days and days (and again for $11 .. thats like 2$ a day is all)


    now onto the carbs

    on sale, Kraft Mac n Cheese.. 80 cents per box. yes thats right .80 CENTS . hell I didn't even know you could buy something for "cents" anymore.

    so what do you get for .80 cents . well shit looking at the macros its an entire meal.

    750 cals
    150g carbs
    27g protein
    9g fat

    ^ look at the macro breakdown. thats F'n perfect for bulking. super calorie dense,, and 80 CENTS !!

    it was a successful trip

    give me your ideas and experiences for bulking on a budget
    Obs and Family_guy like this.

  2. #2
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,073
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    so on my current bulk I'm trying to eat on a budget . sure life was great back in the day when I had a fairly high disposable income and meals consisted of salmon, shrimp, ribeye steak, tuna steaks, etc. but sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you need to make do and adjust.

    heres what I came across at a recent grocery haul on a strict budget

    so I'm in the meat section looking for some cheap steaks (no such thing). when out of the corner of my eye i see this ginormous chunk of meat . I'm looking at little 12oz steaks for like $7.. but to the left of me is a 10 pound hunk of ham for $11 . yes I said 10 POUNDS. so screw $7 for one steak, I'm buying the 10 pounds of meat for $11. and it was lean.

    so I take this giant hunk of meat and chop it all up into small pieces and throw it into the crock pot. now I've got lean meat ready to go for days and days (and again for $11 .. thats like 2$ a day is all)


    now onto the carbs

    on sale, Kraft Mac n Cheese.. 80 cents per box. yes thats right .80 CENTS . hell I didn't even know you could buy something for "cents" anymore.

    so what do you get for .80 cents . well shit looking at the macros its an entire meal.

    750 cals
    150g carbs
    27g protein
    9g fat

    ^ look at the macro breakdown. thats F'n perfect for bulking. super calorie dense,, and 80 CENTS !!

    it was a successful trip

    give me your ideas and experiences for bulking on a budget
    Us poor people buy tuna fish when on sale for $.50 a can and ramen noodles @6 for $1.00. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Obs and Family_guy like this.

  3. #3
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5,009
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Us poor people buy tuna fish when on sale for $.50 a can and ramen noodles @6 for $1.00. LOL
    I've always heard that about can tuna being cheap protein. I've been buying 100s of cans of canned tuna from Costco for years (got 4 kids who also like to eat canned tuna). but when you actually do the math, even buying bulk, and see how much 'weight' or oz is in a can, canned tuna ranges from 3-5$ per pound. thats actually pretty pricey. you can occasionally find steaks on sale for that price per pound.

    then if you buy actually raw tuna steaks, they are about 12$ per pound . thats as expensive as shrimp or lobster, and more expensive then quality steak/beef.


    just not sure Tuna is really an affordable meat despite the general belief that it is. maybe I'm not finding the right deals on it
    charger69 likes this.

  4. #4
    Couchlockd's Avatar
    Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    aka m.hornbuckle
    Posts
    4,266
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    I've always heard that about can tuna being cheap protein. I've been buying 100s of cans of canned tuna from Costco for years (got 4 kids who also like to eat canned tuna). but when you actually do the math, even buying bulk, and see how much 'weight' or oz is in a can, canned tuna ranges from 3-5$ per pound. thats actually pretty pricey. you can occasionally find steaks on sale for that price per pound.

    then if you buy actually raw tuna steaks, they are about 12$ per pound . thats as expensive as shrimp or lobster, and more expensive then quality steak/beef.


    just not sure Tuna is really an affordable meat despite the general belief that it is. maybe I'm not finding the right deals on it
    Once you drain tuna, you don't have 4 1oz servings you have 2 1 oz servings.
    Chrisp83TRT likes this.

  5. #5
    i_SLAM_cougars's Avatar
    i_SLAM_cougars is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    Once you drain tuna, you don't have 4 1oz servings you have 2 1 oz servings.
    Ramen noodles, Quaker Oats, and peanut butter
    Family_guy likes this.

  6. #6
    Couchlockd's Avatar
    Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    aka m.hornbuckle
    Posts
    4,266
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    Ramen noodles, Quaker Oats, and peanut butter
    You making a break, dawg?

    Ramun, cheese spread, tuna, crushed up Cheetos.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

  7. #7
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,073
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    Ramen noodles, Quaker Oats, and peanut butter
    Please donít mention the PB word. GH has prohibited me from using it. He is a big meanie throwing around his power. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GearHeaded and i_SLAM_cougars like this.

  8. #8
    Couchlockd's Avatar
    Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    aka m.hornbuckle
    Posts
    4,266
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Please don’t mention the PB word. GH has prohibited me from using it. He is a big meanie throwing around his power. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I made some pb today in a coffee grinder.

    Just dumped in nuts (blend of honey roasted cashews, almonds and Chipotle peanuts) grind, mix around, grind mix till pb consistency

  9. #9
    fiddlesticks's Avatar
    fiddlesticks is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    854
    Blog Entries
    1
    tuna is pretty gross honestly throw in the extra few pennies for sardines I say

  10. #10
    Family_guy's Avatar
    Family_guy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    You making a break, dawg?

    Ramun, cheese spread, tuna, crushed up Cheetos.
    We called that a ďspreadĒ in jail
    Last edited by Family_guy; 06-03-2019 at 12:59 AM.

  11. #11
    Family_guy's Avatar
    Family_guy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,346
    Top ramen-2 packages is 800 cal, 104 carb, 16 protein, and 28 fat. And that’s only .30 for that meal!

  12. #12
    Family_guy's Avatar
    Family_guy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,346
    If you get pork shoulder on sale from sprouts or king soopers(Kroger) for .99/lb you can’t beat that!

    Whenever that goes on sale like that I buy at least 20lbs. Throw a few pounds in the crock pot cook overnight then fry that shit up in a pan with a little oil till slightly crispy! Love my carnitas! (Of course Wife makes it so much better but I’m getting pretty good)

  13. #13
    HoldMyBeer is online now Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,205
    Sounds delicious. What kind of ham was it? I can never find ham where the amount of fat isn't in the double digits per serving

    Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    i_SLAM_cougars's Avatar
    i_SLAM_cougars is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Please don’t mention the PB word. GH has prohibited me from using it. He is a big meanie throwing around his power. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can’t do it. I eat it out of the jar with a spoon. It’s probably the only food weakness I have.
    HoldMyBeer likes this.

  15. #15
    Windex is online now MONITOR
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arctic Circle
    Posts
    3,157
    Best food to eat ? Vagina.

    - Negative calories (burn more than consumed)
    - Promotes blood flow
    - Increases heart rate
    - Increases mind to tongue muscle connection
    - Seratonin and dopamine levels increased
    Family_guy and HoldMyBeer like this.
    It is not heroes that make history, but history that makes heroes.

    No source checks.

  16. #16
    HoldMyBeer is online now Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Please donít mention the PB word. GH has prohibited me from using it. He is a big meanie throwing around his power. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why not? I thought peanut butter was good for you, just calorie dense? (Aside from the ones with added sugars)
    I like to make my own:
    Peanuts
    A little peanut oil
    A little honey
    Blend in food processor to desired thickness

    Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Windex View Post
    Best food to eat ? Vagina.

    - Negative calories (burn more than consumed)
    - Promotes blood flow
    - Increases heart rate
    - Increases mind to tongue muscle connection
    - Seratonin and dopamine levels increased
    Very good point, I just donít know how much mass it promotes. lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    27,933
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Please don’t mention the PB word. GH has prohibited me from using it. He is a big meanie throwing around his power. LOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Such a prick at times.


    But when it comes to ham. Love it. Great hot or cold, doesn't matter.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  19. #19
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,073
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
    Why not? I thought peanut butter was good for you, just calorie dense? (Aside from the ones with added sugars)
    I like to make my own:
    Peanuts
    A little peanut oil
    A little honey
    Blend in food processor to desired thickness

    Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
    Thatís because GH is a bully!!! LOL
    I am trying to come in to the next comp 5 lbs heavier and leaner than the last comp. PB has a lot of fat. Of which is necessary, but I can get the fat from cleaner sources.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HoldMyBeer likes this.

  20. #20
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5,009
    to come in to the next contest a bit fuller and bigger we need to diet on higher carbs (also to promote blood volume based training where the key is to get massive pumps, its hard to get good pumps when carbs are low).. so in order to still achieve a calorie deficit, but with carbs high, we need to cut fat out as much as possible (fat is over twice as many cals per gram as carbs or protein) . SO.. the Peanut butter has to go. so sorry you'll think me later though

  21. #21
    Getsomehate is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    48
    Protein sources : chicken , eggs , beef liver (all of em
    Really cheap )

    Carbs : rice , oats , spaghetti , apples , bananas

    Fats: well mostly, extra virgin olive oil ( I live in Greece and every house literally extracts itís own) , sesame butter cuz itís cheap .

    I am a student so eating on a budget is an everyday thing
    Family_guy likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •