ascendant is offline Senior Member

Overtraining or Not Enough Carbs? (Just Starting Back Up)

So, just getting back into a workout routine after a layoff for years (long story). I had been an NASM personal trainer for over a decade, so I know the deal as far as a routine, nutrition, etc. However, here is my current dilemma...

I am currently around 18% bodyfat, which for what I was used to, is horrid. My first priority is to get my bodyfat % down. So, I'm carb cycling. Two weeks in though and I am feeling run down, dreading my workouts, and other over-training symptoms. Only thing that isn't typical of when I'd over-train is my appetite is through the roof.

I am thinking it might just be my carbs being too low? I'm not sure the best way to handle getting back into a routine. I want to keep carb cycling to get my bodyfat down first, but thinking maybe I need just a bit more carbs? I'm going to take the next workout or two off, up my carbs for these next couple days some, and see how I feel. I just feel it's difficult because my body is starving for carbs since it wants to bulk up my muscles, yet at the same time, my priority is getting this bodyfat lower.

I always had an easy time bulking. It was cutting (getting below 8%) that was a challenge for me. If anyone has any other suggestions to get back into this more efficiently than what I covered above, I'm all ears. It's freaking rough...

To get a bit more into it, here are the basics of what I'm doing:

190lbs, 18% bodyfat

Carb cycle - 3 low days, 1 high

Low carb day macros - 180g protein, 150g carb, 50g fat
    High carb day macros - 180g protein, 350-400g carb, 50g fat

4 days weight training, 5-6 days cardio

After breaking those numbers down, I'm thinking my protein may be a bit too low. As far as my carbs, they are around the same as when I had much more muscle back in the day, so I'm real hesitant to up them. Back then, my protein used to be much higher though, like at least 300-350g. My body always seemed to respond better to high protein. Maybe I just need to up my protein?

Mr. Small is offline Member
    How many cals per day or weekly average?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Small View Post
    How many cals per day or weekly average?
    Not a clue. I don't crunch those numbers. I tend to focus on my protein, carbs, and fat, not the overall calories. You could do a number crunch from my macros posted, but I'm working right now, so I can't do it currently.

I upped my carbs and protein some yesterday and doing the same today, then I'm probably going to gradually ease the carbs back again tomorrow. I'm feeling a lot better. Not 100%, but better.

I think my body is having a hard time because I've always been used to pushing hard in the gym. That's making my body want to grow, but the caloric restriction is keeping it from happening. I think I just need to gradually cut them back while easing back a bit on the weight training, track my bodyfat %, and adjust accordingly. I mean my progress seemed fine as far as building some muscle while losing fat, but I think a little more calories will help me build muscle faster (and recover more efficiently) while only minimally impacting fat loss, if at all (since the muscle gain will boost my metabolism anyway). We will see over the next week or two, but yea, my big issue was definitely too few carbs, possibly too low of a protein intake too.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Carb cycling IMHO is no better than running a 500 cal deficit and a balanced diet. If you're really trying to get into ketosis the problem may be that you're just not eating enough fat. Are you checking ketone levels with urine strips? I know it sucks but ya gotta do the math and get total calorie intake for a day and macro's. Without that its really hard to tell where you're issue's may be coming from. Its also kinda hard to know what kinda deficit you're at without counting calories. Or at least macro's then doing the math carbs and prot are 4cals/gram fat is 9.

Thread Information