Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member

Question Graves Disease of Thyroid - Questions...

Hey everyone I was diagnosed with Graves disease of the thyroid. It is also known as Hyperthyroidism or an 'overactive thyroid gland'.

I have been treated by an endocrinologist for the past few weeks. I had a radioactive I-131 treatment for this disorder to 'shut down' the overactivity.

I developed a rare, but temporary side effect, that causes Paralysis. See here: http://hkpp.org/faq//thyrotoxic_periodic_paralysis.html

This should clear up in a month or two according to my endocrinologist, none the less, it scared the hell out of me.

Finally, a question: When everything calms down what experts in this forum are willing to advise...

1. Am I correct in assuming I will gain weight/fat easier once the thyroid is 'dead?

2. Will I expect a change in the way my body metabolizes cycles of test?

3. Are my days of anabolics usage over?

I need some advise here people. PM's are fine.

Thanks!

phatkid77 is offline Junior Member
    you shoud be fine weight wise.... wife had same treatment over 2yrs ago and didnt gain any....and she doesnt work out and is "hippy"

shes on thyroxin as the thyroid is shutdown.....

goodluck

phats

gigem is offline Banned
    actually graves disease will make you loose weight it is anautoimmune disease in which the bodyerrooneously produces long acting thyroid stimulator it targets the tshreceptors on the thyroid cells. you will have an elevated metabolic basal rate.it increaes heat production increases prespiration and poor tolerance to heat.youll be hungrier due to increased metabolic demands usually weigt drops because the body is burning fuel at a higher rate

Bidyah is offline New Member
    You make it sound like something you want to have...

Bump...

Hey guys thanks for the info. Now that I have had the Graves disease treated, essentially shutting down my thyroid, should I expect to gain weight and find it more difficult to loose?

Thanks again to all that have answered.

Indymuscleguy

Guys,

Go here for updates: Thyroid Function

Indymuscleguy

Bump...Bump...

I am considering adding T-3 if my endo does not prescribe Armour, which works on T-3 and T-4. I can't take the extra fat around my midsection. I'm in a 34" waist pant now, for the first time, and I look so bloated. For whatever reason, my head and fingers are holding water, yet my ankles are fine. When I check my pec thickness, quad thickness, sub scapular area, my waist, wich used to be 30" to 32" at the most, is looking like a pot belly.

I'm upping the cardio to 1hr a day and lifting EOD. I am really pushing the protien and good carbs, as well as a great PWO shake. I have switched from chicken to mostly lean beef and salmon in my diet.

Fellas, I'm so pissed about the fat gains due to my thyroid disease. The only conclusion is to supplimnet with cytomel /T-3 to get my metabolism back up and runnning.

Again, thanks for all the advise...comment at will

*Update* 7/07

I had my first six week check-up for my treatment of graves disease. I was on 100mcg of Synthroid , but my TSH came back at 95. Yes, ninety-five!! Now I am on 175mcg's of Synthroid and 10mcg of Cytomel .

I have edema/swelling in my face and hands. I have also gained 18lbs...that are unwanted!

Hopefully the increased Synthroid (t-4) and the addition of Cytomel (t-3) will help...any thoughts?

Indymuscleguy

fbcoach is offline Junior Member
    Indymuscle,
    I am hypothyroid. You would think I would be overweight, but I remain at about 12% BF. Actually, that was part of my problem in getting diagnosed. A GREAT website to go to is stopthethyroidmadness.com They can answer any questions you may have. Good luck!

Thanks coach. You have a PM

Thread Information