Thread: HRT or dhea.

CiLe is offline New Member

HRT or dhea.

Hey, im 21 with low testosterone .
    went to my doc, got blood tests done.
    everything he had me get tested was normal besides the testosterone (boaderline low, im only 21)and dhea where on the low side.

he gave me 3 options.

1.Prescribe me testosterone injections, but i have to go to him once a month for a shot. im not sure what kind of test i would be using, but after reading, i should be getting it a minimum on once a week.
    I told him about my concern and he doesnt want me with a controlled substance at home injecting myself.

2. since my dhea was low, he says i should start with taking Dhea 5mg a day for 3 months. dhea has a greater chance of converting to estrogen it sounds like. my doc, and even the pharmasist says i dont need an AI.

3. go see an endo. will an endo be more open to suggestions then my doc? who really doesnt know much about my problem. eg, i told him about HCG and he says thes never heard of it used for low test. thats a flag right there.
    my doc also says since the injection is IM its a slow release. test cyp half-life is like 7 days. so that doesnt make sense to me if its released but doesnt work anymore.

im from BC canada.
    I did start taking dhea today, but i feel i should stop and go see an endo.

thoughts..?

Pac Man is offline Senior Member
    Once a month for shots? Sounds like you need a new doc.
    I would take the testosterone script than go see an endo, having scripts already should make it that much easier.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    how many tests have you done and what time of day....test levels higher in morn and you need to confirm....1 test not enough to go taking test...you're very young ....shots for life with hrt....what made you test your levels?

Pac Man is offline Senior Member
    what exactly were your levels?

After almost 0 increase in strength after 6 months, no sex drive, and getting fat, i realized something wasnt right. i browsed forums until i found the symptoms for low test.
    i got the test takin at 10am on a saturday.
    my numbers were 5.8 range 5.6-20 something. idunno the units sorry. either way a 21 year old should be at the top of that range.

tests that were done.
    thyroid
    bio avalible T
    prolactin
    dhea
    shbg
    lh
    apparently the protein in my system is a little high.
    could have been more idunno.

my dad hasnt realy had a good sex drive since he was a kid, my mom told me.

i eat healthy foods.
    i just wanna be normal again. i dont care if i have to inject myself once a week. but obviouly i should make sure its not a secondary issue.

i dont see why docs dont do one huge panel of tests. i had to take 4 seperate blood tests. there should just be a set panel for that problem.
    i realize now most docs cant know everything, and he should have just sent me to a endo after the first blood test.

i think ill see an endo and get more blood tests.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and sorry for your condition....sound plan and now your going to take care of yourself....good call...get everything checked out and go from there.....all uphill from here bro...keep us posted
    jpk

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and sorry for your condition....sound plan and now your going to take care of yourself....good call...get everything checked out and go from there.....all uphill from here bro...keep us posted
    jpk
    thx for the support jpk. your right its going to take months to figure this out, my age makes it that much harder. ill for sure keep you guys updated, and when i get the new blood test results ill post them up.

and just for the record, iv never takin any AAS before.

bobr is offline New Member
    Start with the dhea and recheck after 3 months. My guess is that you'll need some test and if that's the case it could be a lifelong deal. Did your blood test indicate what your IGF1 level was? -Bob

vermin is offline Member
    See an endo and make sure they do more than blood work. They need to eliminate things like tumors, cysts, etc. Once you make sure you are generally healthy get all copies of all your tests in your hands and start shopping for an open minded MD who is willing to treat you for quality of life and not just play a numbers game (and never hand over your only copies). This is never easy and wil be even mnore difficult with your age. You need an anti-aging philosophy at a time when many anti-aging docs won't talk to you under 35 or 40 due to the lovely repressive atmosphere we are currently under. All I can tell you is that it may take years, but it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobr View Post
    Start with the dhea and recheck after 3 months. My guess is that you'll need some test and if that's the case it could be a lifelong deal. Did your blood test indicate what your IGF1 level was? -Bob
    no idea bob sorry. would IGF1 be part of an anual blood test check up? cuz i had one of those aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by vermin View Post
    See an endo and make sure they do more than blood work. They need to eliminate things like tumors, cysts, etc. Once you make sure you are generally healthy get all copies of all your tests in your hands and start shopping for an open minded MD who is willing to treat you for quality of life and not just play a numbers game (and never hand over your only copies). This is never easy and wil be even mnore difficult with your age. You need an anti-aging philosophy at a time when many anti-aging docs won't talk to you under 35 or 40 due to the lovely repressive atmosphere we are currently under. All I can tell you is that it may take years, but it will be worth it.
    can an endo prescribe and treat my conditon? i was under the impression that they can.
    if not then shouldnt they tell my doc exactly what kinda of treatment i should get. and my doc should just follow the instructions of the endo. right..

and whats the real problem with being young and taking testosterone ? is it fertility?

bobr is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CiLe View Post
    no idea bob sorry. would IGF1 be part of an anual blood test check up? cuz i had one of those aswell.

-Usually has to be specified and done in a specialty lab. I ask because it often follows low test.

and whats the real problem with being young and taking testosterone? is it fertility?

The main problem is backassward thinking many physicians have about HRT.
    -Bob

vermin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CiLe View Post
    can an endo prescribe and treat my conditon? i was under the impression that they can.

They can, but it is a question of approach. Your initial treatment will no doubt come from an endo, but it is likely he will take a very minimalist "get your numbers into normal" aproach instead of considering quality of life. This is of course just a prediction - you may be as happy as can be with what the endo does for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobr View Post
    The main problem is backassward thinking many physicians have about HRT.
    -Bob
    Ya your so right. it doesnt seem like most doc keep up to date with anything. doesnt surprise me though.

Quote Originally Posted by vermin View Post
    They can, but it is a question of approach. Your initial treatment will no doubt come from an endo, but it is likely he will take a very minimalist "get your numbers into normal" aproach instead of considering quality of life. This is of course just a prediction - you may be as happy as can be with what the endo does for you.
    ya i hear what your saying. all i can do is hope for the best treatment. and if i have to lie about how im feeling to get me into the healthy 21 year old range i will. I just want an open to suggestions doc like we all do.

It looks to me that optimal treatment would be Testosterone Cyp/Eth, amiridex, and HCG . I will suggest that to an endo and see how that goes. I hope arimidex and hcg are in pill form?
    Last edited by CiLe; 07-01-2008 at 12:16 PM.

vermin is offline Member
    HCG is a SQ injection. The treatment you are describing is typical form an anti-aging clinic, you will get test cream from an endo. If you plan on offering up that sort of treatment suggestion to your endo do so wait and do so after you have a relationship. And anyway you shoudl not take an anti-e/anti-aromatase until you know you have problems with e.

great advise vermin ty.
    do you think HCG is absolutely necessary. i have heard of infertilty cases without it.
    say i need hrt. it make sense to start will testosterone and add other meds as needed. like you stated with teh AI.

vermin is offline Member
    It is not so much infertility as it is that you would less likely to conceive without it. Of course, there's a good chance your count is low right now anyway. HRT is not birth control - those who count on it as such are called "fathers", on the other hand if you are trying for a baby HRT can tend to work against you. HCG might be one answer to that, though it does have a good set of sides of its own so many folks will elect to try to D/C HRT and see if that helps their fertility. Really another topic and best dealt with individiaully with one's MD. Assume that if you are 21 and having issues with natty test then fertility is gonna be another round of docs - if not, count yourself lucky.

well kids is last on my list. once im normal maybe ill look into it

Well thx for your replies vermin. Im sure ill have more questions soon.

Thread Information