rogue01 is offline Associate Member

Just got blood work

I just got my blood work back and the Dr did a testosterone test.

Total test was 327 or 337...can't recall which. The range was 250-800. I asked if this was normal which of course they say it is normal. Does this sound like a normal range? Should I get a 2nd opinion? What can I do to increase my amount?

Stats:
    5'10"
    180-185 ( this is down from over 220)
    been lifting off and on for 8 years

I have been having real problems with energy for a couple years. I always feel tired and beat up. I have never had great results in the gym (always felt like I had to work twice as hard for half the results). My diet is okay but could be better...but I have had it very clean in the past. I also have a lot of trouble sleeping.

Thanks for any advice.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i feel the same way. I just got my results and i was 102. they are putting me on trt. Sh told me the same range as you for normal

next step

Does this number warrant any sort of TRT? I know of an anti-aging clinic close by but it is pretty expensive and not covered under insurance.

clinics

Are we able to discuss pricing of clinics considering they give out the pricing info...or is that also frowned upon. You have to go through all the testing and full body work out before they verify you are a candidate. The workout, testing, etc is very pricey for one place I checked with...

fm2002 is offline Associate Member
    Your numbers are way low. I'm 44 yrs. old and my HRT doctor says my total Test should be in the 1100 range and IGF-1's in the 200's. If you got your blood tested have it read by a qualified HRT doctor. Not a mainstream doctor who hasn't a clue !

Thanks fm2002...I am going to work on getting another dr. to check it out. It has really bummed me out when I read that the mean for a 40 something male is 500's...

This is the first time I have been to a Dr since High School and I went because of a lack of energy and a general lack of enjoyment for life...

What do you guys think would be the best option: endo, urologist, or aging clinic to get a 2nd opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by fm2002 View Post
    Your numbers are way low. I'm 44 yrs. old and my HRT doctor says my total Test should be in the 1100 range and IGF-1's in the 200's. If you got your blood tested have it read by a qualified HRT doctor. Not a mainstream doctor who hasn't a clue !
    1100 is above the normal range.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue01 View Post
    Are we able to discuss pricing of clinics considering they give out the pricing info...or is that also frowned upon. You have to go through all the testing and full body work out before they verify you are a candidate. The workout, testing, etc is very pricey for one place I checked with...
    you cant discuss prices openly. But i went to my reg. dr for bloodwork under insurance. My insurance doesnt cover hrt though

NEMESIS RR is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Quest diagnostic puts 1100 at top of range.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    1100 would be a cycle or a lucky 19 year old boy... normal to most uneducated docs would be 200 - 800... but you also need to be looking at free test, bound test, thyroid... endo doc will pic up on any issues(not that he will treat it the way you would like)

from what i can find... im not a doc... 550 to 800 is the place for you to be if you are a athlete that is very active... i am on hrt and 100 mg, 1x a week test c. that was getting me up to mid 300s... i ordered more test and bumped my test injections up to 200 mg 1x a week and freaking feel awesome.... like i did when i was 25 (im late 30s)

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NEMESIS RR View Post
    Quest diagnostic puts 1100 at top of range.
    try to get that past a endo doc or a general prac doc... those are not the ranges they use.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue01 View Post
    Thanks fm2002...I am going to work on getting another dr. to check it out. It has really bummed me out when I read that the mean for a 40 something male is 500's...

This is the first time I have been to a Dr since High School and I went because of a lack of energy and a general lack of enjoyment for life...

What do you guys think would be the best option: endo, urologist, or aging clinic to get a 2nd opinion?
    start off w endo... then think about going to a wellness doc with the findings

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    [QUOTE=rogue01;4653720]I just got my blood work back and the Dr did a testosterone test.

Total test was 327 or 337...can't recall which. The range was 250-800. I asked if this was normal which of course they say it is normal. Does this sound like a normal range? Should I get a 2nd opinion? What can I do to increase my amount?

Stats:
    5'10"
    180-185 ( this is down from over 220)
    been lifting off and on for 8 years

I have been having real problems with energy for a couple years. I always feel tired and beat up. I have never had great results in the gym (always felt like I had to work twice as hard for half the results). My diet is okay but could be better...but I have had it very clean in the past. I also have a lot of trouble sleeping.

Thanks for any advice.[/QU

Way too low for your age and situation. Try and find out why it is so low ( primary or secondary if at all) and treat accordingly. You really should find out why your level is so low before you start any treatment. If you don't you will might be treating just symptoms forever and not in the appropriate way. I was around that level, 40 yrs old, took 200mg's/weel test c and hcg and went over 1400 on total t. So dosages effect everyone different. I never found out if I was sec or primary.

I do think an AI alone for someone with very high E2 and low T should be tried first. I also think HCG alone in some cases will work. Jabbing yourself with t every week may not be the answer - although it may be just what you need - sounds funny huh?

You need help - so find the right doc and use some of the advise here to help guide you. Good luck Bro

Thanks

I did talk with someone that has more knowledge than your regular GP on this subject and he agreed my numbers were low for an active 28 yr old. I just did a more comprehensive set of blood work done...should have results next week. Depending on the bloodwork I think we are going to start with HCG and clomid and retest after a month to see how my levels change.

He wants to see me above 800 and states they are seeing a rise in younger guys with low numbers. He thinks it has something to do with all the pesticides, food hormones, etc that we are now exposed to everyday.

I found this article the other day and it really seems to support that theory. I guess our lives are also more fast paced, lot of stress, poor nutrition and less sleep are common.

"Studies in the 1940's showed the average testosterone level to be at 700 ng/dl, 300 ng/dl higher than for men today." (Source: http://www.usdoctor.com/testone.htm)

NEMESIS RR is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    try to get that past a endo doc or a general prac doc... those are not the ranges they use.
    not to be a prick but my endo is ok with my 939 level. I just take my script for blood work to quest and my level is within range.

All docs are different, but I have to say my Doc is was of the leading guys in the industry. Not going to mention his name, but he's one of the founders of Cenegenics. I trust his judgement. The levels I take to achieve his recommended levels are by no means a cycle. If possible find a like minded doc. Cenegenics, Life Extension etc.

treatment

fm, what does your current treatment look like?

I'm currently on:

100mg Test once a week
    1.6 iu's ED HGH
    Provironum 25mg EOD
    HCG was recommended, but haven't started it yet

Along with a full line of supplements from Life Extension

Quote Originally Posted by NEMESIS RR View Post
    not to be a prick but my endo is ok with my 939 level. I just take my script for blood work to quest and my level is within range.
    good give me his number pls

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fm2002 View Post
    I'm currently on:

100mg Test once a week
    1.6 iu's ED HGH
    Provironum 25mg EOD
    HCG was recommended, but haven't started it yet

Along with a full line of supplements from Life Extension
    OK so how was your blood results for the HGH????? Real or?

AllPumpedUp is offline Junior Member
    yeh gwt referred to a urologist or an endoch they will be better to tell you

I have an appt with a different Dr this week. I hear he has more experience with hormone imbalances. I have found a lot of Dr's deal with hormones issues for woman but not so much for men. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that men are less likely to go to the Dr and to complain about problems. I know I have avoided Dr's for the past 10 years.

Thread Information